2021 CX-5 AWD Turbo Carbon Ed - TPMS sensors?

Wanting to get a spare set of wheels/tires for winter for the 2021 CX-5 AWD turbo carbon edition. Anyone know if I need TPMS sensors and if so, what kind (frequency) should I get? Some Mazda’s do not use sensors and some do.

this thread:

It is a 315mhz sensor, this is from mine 2020, i bought some cheap aliexpress sensor base on the part # on this sensor.
IMG_20210102_151822.jpg

Just make sure they work with a 2021. The 2020 cars could report individual tire pressures in the MyMazda app, but that's not true for 2021. You only get a low tire pressure warning, and there is no way to determine which wheel is at fault.

That doesn't necessarily mean the TPMS sensor is different in 2021 than 2020. They could be the same and Mazda has decided not to use the individual data. But they could be different too.

The 2020 cars could report individual tire pressures in the MyMazda app, but that's not true for 2021. You only get a low tire pressure warning, and there is no way to determine which wheel is at fault.
Really? That’s one step backward from Mazda.

Right. Seems odd. No tire pressure data on the infotainment screen. And if you read the instructions for the MyMazda app, they show one screen for 2020 (with tire pressures) and one for 2021 (without tire pressures). I can confirm that MyMazda doesn't show tire pressures for my car.

Here is the manual, Type A screen shows tire pressures. Type A screen is for 2020, Type B is 2021.
1610562443696.png

Last edited:
Such a shame. I had individual pressures in my 2006 Acura. I have not had individual pressures since that car. I was hoping as technology got cheaper, it would become a more universal thing. That car also allowed multiple TPMS sensors to be used. Drive <5 miles and the new sensors would be registered. On my WRX I have to load individual sensor addresses into the ECU every winter and summer...

Wow. These tpms threads have Mazda sensor for $93 and autel sensors for $30. Meanwhile Mazda dealer is quoting me $146 per sensor.

Think I'm pulling the old ones off the 19 inch wheels I'm not using and put those on my new rims. And then get some autels for the winters.

Only thing is I didn't mark the 19 inch wheels as to left front, etc. Does that matter if the left front sensor ends up on the right rear? Will they sort themselves out? Or do I need to reprogram?

Wow. These tpms threads have Mazda sensor for $93 and autel sensors for $30. Meanwhile Mazda dealer is quoting me $146 per sensor.

Think I'm pulling the old ones off the 19 inch wheels I'm not using and put those on my new rims. And then get some autels for the winters.

Only thing is I didn't mark the 19 inch wheels as to left front, etc. Does that matter if the left front sensor ends up on the right rear? Will they sort themselves out? Or do I need to reprogram?

No need to reprogram as the sensors don't display the individual pressures. The warning will trigger as soon as one sensor registers low pressure, doesn't matter where its located because you won't be able to tell anyway lol

I wouldn't bother taking the sensors out of your existing 19s unless you already have a tire mounting machine at home, or you have a friend who can do it for you for free. You'd need to unmount the tires, uninstall the sensors, replace with normal valve stems, remount the tires, and then probably rebalance them as well.

I got a set of used sensors from eBay for my summer wheel setup, think I spent like $80 for all four sensors.

No need to reprogram as the sensors don't display the individual pressures. The warning will trigger as soon as one sensor registers low pressure, doesn't matter where its located because you won't be able to tell anyway lol

I wouldn't bother taking the sensors out of your existing 19s unless you already have a tire mounting machine at home, or you have a friend who can do it for you for free. You'd need to unmount the tires, uninstall the sensors, replace with normal valve stems, remount the tires, and then probably rebalance them as well.

I got a set of used sensors from eBay for my summer wheel setup, think I spent like $80 for all four sensors.
Thanks Smike.

Seems that can even get outdated still in the bag new ones for decent $$$.

They are the metal are the old metal stem bha4-37-140a model.

For these supposedly new in bag sensors, does anyone know if the battery life is from date of manufacture or the date activated on your tire? If the battery wore down while on the shelf for several years, does me no good even if they are cheap.

Dealer may sell me new ones for $100 each now instead of $145 each. But that's still $400 total.

Wanted to get Mazda originals but new autel might be the way to go.

Back