2020 CX-9 Transmission Noise

New 2020 CX9 GT developed a humming noise that increased with speed, but not at idle. Mazda service technician drove around with me and he thought it was the tires. But when I had them look further into it they called and said it was a transmission problem and I would need a new transmission. Under 10k miles it should be under warranty.

I figured the turbo would become an issue before anything else! Big OUCH on my opinion of Mazda reliability. Otherwise the car has been excellent! I thought I would share since I could not find anyone else with the same issue.

There is no perfect piece of machinery. Mazdas have been very reliable. When an imperfect component shows up, it'll be replaced under warranty. A very small number of CX-9 engines have been replaced under warranty. Would you buy a car from a company that claimed, "You won't get a warranty, because you won't need it." Neither would I.

My previous turbocharged car was a 1996 Volvo that I drove for 202,000 miles. The turbocharger was still good when I sold the car. I don't expect turbo problems. I don't expect any problems, but eventually some parts will wear out.

Every manufacturer will have their lemons. Just curious if you get to a certain speed and you hear the humming and you put the car to neutral, does the humming go away?

Every manufacturer will have their lemons. Just curious if you get to a certain speed and you hear the humming and you put the car to neutral, does the humming go away?
I think I tested it by putting the car in neutral while moving and the answer is no, the sound would never go away. I will likely give an update of what specific component was the issue.

There is no perfect piece of machinery. Mazdas have been very reliable. When an imperfect component shows up, it'll be replaced under warranty. A very small number of CX-9 engines have been replaced under warranty. Would you buy a car from a company that claimed, "You won't get a warranty, because you won't need it." Neither would I.

My previous turbocharged car was a 1996 Volvo that I drove for 202,000 miles. The turbocharger was still good when I sold the car. I don't expect turbo problems. I don't expect any problems, but eventually some parts will wear out.
You're telling me. I am only skeptical because of two other vehicles I have had with turbos that both practically caught on fire from leaking oil. Those were late model vehicles of different manufacturers. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

Sounds pretty unusual. Like Silly Wabbit suggested,
You're telling me. I am only skeptical because of two other vehicles I have had with turbos that both practically caught on fire from leaking oil. Those were late model vehicles of different manufacturers. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

I've not heard of many 2016+ CX9 transmission issues. Sounds frustrating.

Update: The 2020 CX9 was at the dealership for 10 days in January and a new transmission was put in. The car has been like new since then. They sent the transmission back to Mazda for inspection so I do not know the specific issue.

They sent the transmission back to Mazda for inspection
This indicates how rare that transmission problem is. Do we know how makes the transmissions? Aisin, or...? (Aisin transmissions are used in about 55 makes of cars around the world.)

Pretty sure thats a mazda made transmission. But they have been around since the beginning of the skyactiv technology implementation in mazdas (maybe since 2012?). I have not heard much about reliability issues with them since.

I started hearing funny clunking sounds 2 days after gettin the oil change service at the dealer. It started when putting in reverse and slowly backing up. I stopped and looked under the car thinkin maybe was caught under the car. Went forward and no sound....got home and reversed in spot with no noise. Seems like it happens when it's cold. Another 3 days later, on highway and accelerated to change lanes and it started clunking. I slowed and sound went away...all gages and all look good...no smoke behind me. I still have drove home yet... hope I make it and will get to dealer on Monday morning.

I started hearing funny clunking sounds 2 days after gettin the oil change service at the dealer. It started when putting in reverse and slowly backing up. I stopped and looked under the car thinkin maybe was caught under the car. Went forward and no sound....got home and reversed in spot with no noise. Seems like it happens when it's cold. Another 3 days later, on highway and accelerated to change lanes and it started clunking. I slowed and sound went away...all gages and all look good...no smoke behind me. I still have drove home yet... hope I make it and will get to dealer on Monday morning.
If awd, could be the transfer case or rear diff or possible just loose brake caliper or bracket.

Back