2020 CX-5 rattle when accelerating

I have a 2020 CX5 Signature (turbo). For the past year or so, I've had a very annoying rattle that only happens when accelerating. It stops the moment I take my foot off of the gas. I hear it more often than not, but appears to be more of a cold weather issue. The noise was not present over the summer.

As luck would have it, the noise didn't happen during several visits to the dealership.

The sound appears to come from the driver side area, perhaps below the dashboard, but it is very difficult to isolate. I tried to press on every panel to try to see if it silences the noise without any luck.

The following video was taken on my way home from the dealership, after they were unable to replicate the problem. I plan on returning to the dealership and being persistent on getting this fixed, but would appreciate any assistance pinpointing the issue or ideas on how to narrow it down.

Does it happen with transmission in neutral? (vehicle stationary)
You can isolate the problem, whether it is engine-related or transmission.

I have a 2020 CX5 Signature (turbo). For the past year or so, I've had a very annoying rattle that only happens when accelerating. It stops the moment I take my foot off of the gas. I hear it more often than not, but appears to be more of a cold weather issue. The noise was not present over the summer.

As luck would have it, the noise didn't happen during several visits to the dealership.

The sound appears to come from the driver side area, perhaps below the dashboard, but it is very difficult to isolate. I tried to press on every panel to try to see if it silences the noise without any luck.

The following video was taken on my way home from the dealership, after they were unable to replicate the problem. I plan on returning to the dealership and being persistent on getting this fixed, but would appreciate any assistance pinpointing the issue or ideas on how to narrow it down.

I actually experienced this with my brand new CX5. The problem most likely could be the prop rod not being locked in place so when you accelerate it shakes around. Just open the hood and make sure it’s locked in place.

Could be coming from anywhere..under hood, under seat, under dash, trunk.
Sound more like a clunk than rattle.

Usually good mechanics will take every loose thing out of car, out of dash, out of side pockets, out of trunk, and from under seat. Do you have any loose bottles or other items under the seat or in trunk???

Best thing is to take every loose item out of car, drive to dealership and drive with them to help replicate sound.

If it's not coming from loose personal items, it could be loose motor mounts, loose tranny mounts, loose suspension or brake parts, etc.

Tighten the cowl bolts that are under the wiper/base of hood area. I think on the CX5 there are 4 or 6 of them. There is a 99% chance this will fix it

Back