2020 CX-5 GT CarPlay USB port failure after only 4,000 miles

Davidiot

Ballistic Reentry Vehicle
:
2020 CX-5 GT PP
The non-CarPlay port connects and charges fine.

The CarPlay port is completely dead. No CarPlay, no charging. Rebooting (back+nav+mute) hasn’t helped.

Changing cables has no effect. Changing phones has no effect.

Are there any DIY solutions I can try without dealing with my dealer?

What's wrong with going in and having it looked at? It probably has a disconnect somewhere between the port and the head unit. Are you willing to take your console apart to check?

Update:

During repeated rebooting of the infotainment system (back+nav+mute) ... noticed something curious:

When plugged into the CarPlay port, the phone starts charging as soon as the reboot begins. It then STOPS charging during the reboot process.

I don’t want to go to the dealer because I don’t want them ripping apart my brand new car when the problem seems to be software and not hardware.

What's wrong with going in and having it looked at? It probably has a disconnect somewhere between the port and the head unit. Are you willing to take your console apart to check?
See above. Also, my nearest dealer is an hour away.

Update 2:

The working USB port does exactly the opposite — during reboot, it stops charging. It stops charging at the same time as the CarPlay port starts changing; and starts charging at the same time the CarPlay port stops charging again.

what is your firmware level?

what is your firmware level?

Problem fixed itself (for now) after shutting off the car and walking away till it auto-locked. When I restarted the car, both USB ports were working as they should, and CarPlay was fine.

I experienced a similar glitch once with one of the dash warnings (camera system, I think). That one hasn’t recurred.

Ghosts in the machine. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Having a similar issue with my 2019 right now. The charging starts and stops every few seconds connected to either USB port in the console. The same phone and cord on a 2021 rental CX-5 had no issue. Also the same cord and phone on a 3rd party cigarette adapted USB charger works just fine. Seems like a fuse/power issue somewhere.

Back