2020 CX-5 Battery Life

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I have just under 17,000 miles on my 2020 model and it is exactly two years old. Yesterday following a two hour highway drive and starting down an unpaved rural road I stopped, shut off the car and walked for about fifteen minutes When I got back in the car wouldn't start, wouldn't turn over. Nothing electric functioned even a little. After many attempts I walked back up the road to a point where I could get cel signal and called Mazda to see if they had any ideas. They didn't so I called my insurance company which includes towing service in the policy and asked for a tow. This was quite a pain because both Mazda and the towing company were back in the city and the truck took four hours to get to where I was. They are not allowed to have passengers in the truck so brought a car on it that would take me back to the city. This is included in the policy. Before loading it on to their flatbed the tow guys used a device to put some quick charge into my battery and it started right up. I was afraid to try to drive back to the city alone though in case there was a glitch somewhere along the way and it quit so one of them drove with me and we followed the truck back to the city. Today I went to Mazda and had them put in a new battery in and check the system. I was told the factory battery from Japan was of high quality and could possibly be renovated. However I'm old school and In past experience I've found that when a car battery runs flat it never fully recovers. I could be wrong on that and/or battery technology has changed. In any case I have seen one report here of the original battery lasting 40,000 miles and three years and still testing "good". So I'm a bit surprised by the short life. I should add I can't think of anything that was left "on" during the walk but I suppose there must have been something.

... .So I'm a bit surprised by the short life. I should add I can't think of anything that was left "on" during the walk but I suppose there must have been something.
Unless I misread something in your post, you didn't give the battery a second chance. If that's correct, then IMO there's no way to be certain it it was even close to being done.

Here in Florida, three years is about normal. I your case I would do a full slow charge overnight and you should be OK. I also think I would recheck battery connections. Ed

I have just under 17,000 miles on my 2020 model and it is exactly two years old. Yesterday following a two hour highway drive and starting down an unpaved rural road I stopped, shut off the car and walked for about fifteen minutes When I got back in the car wouldn't start, wouldn't turn over. Nothing electric functioned even a little. After many attempts I walked back up the road to a point where I could get cel signal and called Mazda to see if they had any ideas. They didn't so I called my insurance company which includes towing service in the policy and asked for a tow. This was quite a pain because both Mazda and the towing company were back in the city and the truck took four hours to get to where I was. They are not allowed to have passengers in the truck so brought a car on it that would take me back to the city. This is included in the policy. Before loading it on to their flatbed the tow guys used a device to put some quick charge into my battery and it started right up. I was afraid to try to drive back to the city alone though in case there was a glitch somewhere along the way and it quit so one of them drove with me and we followed the truck back to the city. Today I went to Mazda and had them put in a new battery in and check the system. I was told the factory battery from Japan was of high quality and could possibly be renovated. However I'm old school and In past experience I've found that when a car battery runs flat it never fully recovers. I could be wrong on that and/or battery technology has changed. In any case I have seen one report here of the original battery lasting 40,000 miles and three years and still testing "good". So I'm a bit surprised by the short life. I should add I can't think of anything that was left "on" during the walk but I suppose there must have been something.
So you shut off the engine for only 15 minutes and the battery was totally dead? That too me was the internal connection in the battery somehow got open circuit and the voltage had dropped to 0. The unpaved rural road might cause the internal broken circuit due to too much physical shaking on the battery.

A couple of days ago the 3-month old Costco Interstate Group 51R battery on my 1998 Honda CR-V was totally dead too in the morning. I checked the voltage of the battery it was 0 V. I assumed it’s internal broken circuit and took it to Costco for replacement. Yesterday I noticed the brake lights were on after I shut the engine off and parked the car. For sure that’s the culprit which made the battery totally dead overnight! Oh well, I was wrong and I was complaining to the Costco rep that I was very disappointed that my Interstate battery has lasted only 3 months.

But it’s true that if the battery is totally dead to 0 V, the best is to get the battery replaced.

@edmaz yes I think I referenced the possibility of jumping the gun in my post but after having it fail out in the boonies and waiting four hours for the tow truck to find me I wasn't inclined to give it a second chance. Had service for two years.

I bought a portable battery jump start a couple of years ago. I don't leave home without it. Every car I've owned had a battery that crapped out without warning. Seems a bit premature for a battery to give up for a 2020.

How hot is it there. Here in Arizona you use every bit of your 3 year warranty 0anything over 2 1/2 years and you're living on borrowed time. The heat is a battery killer, with none of the slow turnover warnings you get in the colder climates. Come out of the store after and it's d-e-d dead.

EDIT: Never mind, your avg daytime temp is just 25c?

yes I think I referenced the possibility of jumping the gun in my post but after having it fail out in the boonies and waiting four hours for the tow truck to find me I wasn't inclined to give it a second chance. Had service for two years.
Not being critical of the decision you made - everyone is entitled to make whatever call works for them on stuff like this. It was only your comment on the 'short life' of the battery that I was taking issue with, because that's not certain in this case.

And I have a recent first hand account that's very similar to yours, with a (so far) different ending. Two months ago I did a wheel bearing replacement on my daughter's 2011 3i, and was turning the ignition on whenever I needed to put the transmission into neutral in order to turn the hub during the removal process. Well sure enough, I forgot to turn it off when I quit for the day, and the battery drained down to 5V. I recharged it and told her the battery would probably no longer be able to hold a charge due to the deep discharge, and that I would cover the cost of a new one when it died again.

But that battery is still doing just fine after 8 weeks, and at this point I have no reason to believe it's anywhere close to being done. And that battery is just about the same age and mileage as yours. Again, not writing this to criticize your decision, just the short life characterization.

Where I was it was more like 70F but with a cool wind.

Ok I retract short life characterization but remain very puzzled by and concerned about the cause of the failure.The analysis by yrwei52 sounds good (though over my head) but if that's what happened could it not just as well happen to a new battery? I probably should have asked Mazda to check out the system and analyse the problem before opting for a replacement but what's done is done. It disturbs me that I had no warning of what was coming but I should add one last tidbit. A day or two before (can't remember exactly) the slippery road icon light came on. It came on after starting the car before driving but went off some time later. Maybe that was my warning.

I didn't see it mentioned (maybe it's up there somewhere), but did you check the VIN to see if it's in the liftgate/battery recall?

I didn't see it mentioned (maybe it's up there somewhere), but did you check the VIN to see if it's in the liftgate/battery recall?
OP could need a revised power liftgate control module from the SSP C2, but his scenario doesn’t fit the the slow-drain condition caused by the bad software design of the module. His battery encountered a “sudden-death” within 15 minutes, that scenario fit the the sudden broken connections somewhere within 6 battery cells which are connected together serially.

OP, you're still under the Mazda warranty and roadside assistance. Why not have them get you to a dealer and the battery replaced under warranty?

OP, you're still under the Mazda warranty and roadside assistance. Why not have them get you to a dealer and the battery replaced under warranty?
Because he’s in Colombia enjoying his retirement life there ⋯ :whistle:

Different country has different warranty coverage.

Ha ha yes I am. The warranty here is three years. I didn't think the battery was a covered component.

It makes sense to take full advantage of the 3 year comprehensive and 5/60,000 powertrain warranty - after all, you paid for it.

Wonder why the battery died prematurely, it is only 1 year old. Maybe it was a bad batch.

Our 2017 CX5, still has its OEM battery and car has 62 000km. Every twice a month I plug the battery charger to keep the batteries health good which is something I do to all my cars and that extends the batteries life.

Back