2020 Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings of CX-5 and a few competitors

I did look at the honda ridgeline ,but don't want a short bed.......
was wanting a reliable new ranger or colorado ... like that size of truck.

After joining several forums, found out about all the Colorado
problems... I came so close to getting one too.. Chevy is saying the transmission
problems are fixed now , but might have to wait for them to go to a new transmission
to believe it.

maybe mazda will come out with a nice small pickup for usa and have few problems .

I had an '89 Chevy S-10 (LOVED the 4.3 liter V6) and have a 2005 Canyon (got the 3.5 liter inline 5).

The electronic dash in the S-10 died pretty young (out of warranty but at low mileage), and I started having other issues after it turned 100,000. I replaced the starter myself and I think back then the part itself was north of $250. The electronic pickup in the distributor died, leaving me stranded one Thanksgiving day. Heater core and serpentine belt failures were another problem.

The Canyon has 135,000 miles on it and the U-joints are starting to squeak in reverse, but it has been trouble-free.

Both have been used as trucks...I've always done major projects around my home and others (hauling lumber, yard debris and gravel) and later volunteer home repair work (so I've been as a low-volume contractor).

They were each the only vehicle I owned at the time, so the S-10 was an extended cab and the Canyon is a 4 door. If you don't need room for humans, you still gotta have the interior space when you shop or travel. Theft and inclement weather demand it.

Last edited:
Funny, judging by the # of complaints here (and other Mazda forums), you'd think that Mazda wouldn't be that high on the list.

Goes to show you that Internet Forums aren't always the best place to get your information lol.

Welcome to the Porsche buying experience when a $52,000 Boxster becomes $100,000. It'll be that way with the 2020 Corvette, also.
Volvo, too. I was set on an XC60. Only $38K. Bare bones. I mean BARE BONES. Add everything toget it up to the level of a 17GT you're looking at 50K. OK a much faster car but.... $12k? $15K to get every option? Nah... I'm good.

Funny, judging by the # of complaints here (and other Mazda forums), you'd think that Mazda wouldn't be that high on the list.

Goes to show you that Internet Forums aren't always the best place to get your information lol.
Oh, I don't know.

It was an Internet Forum that helped me dodge the CR-V oil dilution bullet...unless that's been over-inflated by a few malcontents.

And I did my share of reading here, too. You all didn't scare me off...but I made my decision before the CD issue reared its ugly head. Thank goodness for procrastination and the release of the turbo!

The problems you see in here are primarily with newer models. CR does mention that the latest Mazda3 has had some issues, but the rating takes into consideration historical reliability, and Mazda has produced many very reliable vehicles throughout the years. We can't say that about the #23-place Teslas or many other manufacturers for that matter.

problems... I came so close to getting one too.. Chevy is saying the transmission
problems are fixed now , but might have to wait for them to go to a new transmission
to believe it.

maybe mazda will come out with a nice small pickup for usa and have few problems .

When I was in the Philippines, about 4 years ago, I walked into a Mazda dealership that was within walking distance of the hotel. Of course, I had on my Mazda T-shirt. :)
Inside was a good-looking Mazda truck and a Mazda 6 wagon, along with a Mazda 2 sedan. I guess Mazda doesn't see exporting the truck to North America as a financially viable move.

Mazda stopped selling their 2200 pickup in 1992 I think because of competition from other Japanese makers that were manufacturing in the US.

The problems you see in here are primarily with newer models.
Just to throw stones...you're gonna see that on every forum at any point in time.

Come back here in 2023, and MY2019 CX-5 owners won't be complaining about the infotainment system or uncomfortable seats as though it's fresh news, just as you won't see posts today by Mazdaspeed3 owners still complaining about their 2007 cold weather turbo issue. (Gee, here we are 13 years later, and look at what 2019/2020 turbo owners are complaining about!)

The same thing goes if you look at posts from years ago...they are always talking about then-current issues. People aren't gonna complain today in great numbers about initial quality problems (or even later problems) with a 10 year old vehicle that's racked up miles, but of course they'll always complain about something brand new they're still making payments on.

When the 2018 CD issue first arose, I recall members recounting stories of issues with prior models that Mazda refused to acknowledge for the longest time, and even then the fixes they applied were reported to be less than effective (something about a dragging electronic parking brake, IIRC).

So I disagree that the complaints you see here are mostly with newer models, unless "here" is narrowly defined by recent comments, in which case that's a universal truth across all brands. I really don't think Mazda's history is all that pure.

A few 18s https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-trouble-on-2018-cx-5-and-6-models.123868237/ (one reported on here, one reported on FB, but no 19s to my knowledge) had engine damage from the cylinder deactivation system and covered under warranty (obv). That is within over 150,000 CX-5s sold in the USA in 2018. There was a recall back in July to update engine software within that population of vehicles once Mazda became aware of the issue. Search for BMW engine failures and you'll find many more results. Personally, though, I'd rather have the money the system costs in my pocket. I'll survey the reliability when it comes to buying out my lease in 2022.

Last edited:
A few 18s https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-trouble-on-2018-cx-5-and-6-models.123868237/ (one reported on here, one reported on FB, but no 19s to my knowledge) had engine damage from the cylinder deactivation system and covered under warranty (obv). That is within over 150,000 CX-5s sold in the USA in 2018. There was a recall back in July to update engine software within that population of vehicles once Mazda became aware of the issue. Search for BMW engine failures and you'll find many more results. Personally, though, I'd rather have the money the system costs in my pocket. I'll survey the reliability when it comes to buying out my lease in 2022.
Yeh, I know.

I was not raising the CD issue, per se, except that it provoked discussions of past Mazda issues, which went to the statement of "only current models."

I'm not slamming the brand, but I'm also no idolizing it.

Important to keep an open, unbiased, mind. ; )

If anyone wants reviews or reliability rankings for another vehicle, let me know.

to believe it.

You feel every bump with a live-axle truck, especially with leaf springs. My last vehicle (2013 LX 570) with a hydraulic suspension and oversized 33" tires transmitted more road noise and vibration than my CX-5. Independent rear suspension in an SUV is the way to go for most driving, unless you really need the functionality of the pickup bed. It drives much better.

Just to throw stones...you're gonna see that on every forum at any point in time.

Come back here in 2023, and MY2019 CX-5 owners won't be complaining about the infotainment system or uncomfortable seats as though it's fresh news, just as you won't see posts today by Mazdaspeed3 owners still complaining about their 2007 cold weather turbo issue. (Gee, here we are 13 years later, and look at what 2019/2020 turbo owners are complaining about!)

The same thing goes if you look at posts from years ago...they are always talking about then-current issues. People aren't gonna complain today in great numbers about initial quality problems (or even later problems) with a 10 year old vehicle that's racked up miles, but of course they'll always complain about something brand new they're still making payments on.

When the 2018 CD issue first arose, I recall members recounting stories of issues with prior models that Mazda refused to acknowledge for the longest time, and even then the fixes they applied were reported to be less than effective (something about a dragging electronic parking brake, IIRC).

So I disagree that the complaints you see here are mostly with newer models, unless "here" is narrowly defined by recent comments, in which case that's a universal truth across all brands. I really don't think Mazda's history is all that pure.

CR emails vehicle quality/satisfaction survey forms once or twice a year. Their data for up to 5 year old vehicles is used to rate vehicles and companies. If you look at their annual auto issue (April issue, sent out in March), you'll see that older Mazdas like my 2014 are extremely reliable compared to most other vehicles. So if there was an issue that was fixed under warranty and never returns, that is certainly a plus. If the manufacturer/dealer cannot fix the problem (It resurfaces again and again), this will knock down the reliabity rating.
In other words, a 2020 model with multiple "glitches" fixed by a 15 minute software upgrade will not show up 5 years later as a reliability issue because to the current owner, it is not an issue at all.

Oh, I don't know.

It was an Internet Forum that helped me dodge the CR-V oil dilution bullet...unless that's been over-inflated by a few malcontents.

And I did my share of reading here, too. You all didn't scare me off...but I made my decision before the CD issue reared its ugly head. Thank goodness for procrastination and the release of the turbo!

Oh don't get me wrong - I find the information I get here extremely helpful, most of the times.

I just meant generally - You have to take all these internet forums for what they are. Mazda makes hundreds of thousands of cars a year, and there are bound to be ones with issues.

Oh don't get me wrong - I find the information I get here extremely helpful, most of the times.

I just meant generally - You have to take all these internet forums for what they are. Mazda makes hundreds of thousands of cars a year, and there are bound to be ones with issues.
And on the flip side, I've often said how awesome I find my CX-5 to be, and I wish I had discovered the brand a long time ago.

I've mentioned that it's the first car I've had in a long time I've enjoyed enough to turn off the tv on a warm summer's night and just go for a long drive across 3 counties.

And on the flip side, I've often said how awesome I find my CX-5 to be, and I wish I had discovered the brand a long time ago.

I've mentioned that it's the first car I've had in a long time I've enjoyed enough to turn off the tv on a warm summer's night and just go for a long drive across 3 counties.
I quite agree with you.

3'rd mazda here, I owned a 2004 Mazda 6 and a 2009 Mazda 6. This CX-5 is by-far the most enjoyable vehicle I've owned!

Back