2019 CX-5 - Navigation System and SiriusXM problems

That Don Guy

:
CX-5 (2019)
I have been having two problems with my 2019 CX-5.

First, about two weeks ago, the navigation system shut down; all I get is a visual compass with a latitude / longitude / altitude, and a message saying that my car does not have a navigation system. Somehow, I don't think it was on a "31-month trial period."

Second - and I have had this problem pretty much ever since I got the car - every now and then, the SiriusXM channels below something like 300 are unavailable. I might understand having no channels, but I don't see where it would be getting the signal for, say, CNN International (channel 454) but not CNN (channel 116). However, unlike with the navigation problem, this seems to go away when I stop and then restart my car. I thought a firmware upgrade would fix this, but it didn't.

Your nav issue is likely to be your nav SD card. If you're lucky just pull it out, clean the contacts and reinsert. If that doesn't fix it, it's probably corrupted, and you'll need to go back to the dealer and get a replacement.

Second - and I have had this problem pretty much ever since I got the car - every now and then, the SiriusXM channels below something like 300 are unavailable. I might understand having no channels, but I don't see where it would be getting the signal for, say, CNN International (channel 454) but not CNN (channel 116). However, unlike with the navigation problem, this seems to go away when I stop and then restart my car. I thought a firmware upgrade would fix this, but it didn't.
Also occasionally have the same problem with Sirius. Not worth trying to fix since it doesn't happen too often and there's some channels still available. Like you said it goes away when you stop/start.

If it bothers you you can see if there's an infotainment update available but it might cost you.

Pop the Nav card and clean the contacts. See if that fixes the Nav problem. There's no trial period.

I discovered that I am expected to upload updates to the navigation data manually (and I don't get any free ones after 36 months), so, once I got the Toolbox software installed and got it to notice the SD card, I shelled out for an update to the card (which it turns out I needed, as the data was from 2018), and navigation works fine now.

I discovered that I am expected to upload updates to the navigation data manually (and I don't get any free ones after 36 months), so, once I got the Toolbox software installed and got it to notice the SD card, I shelled out for an update to the card (which it turns out I needed, as the data was from 2018), and navigation works fine now.
Updating your nav card didn't fix your problem. It was just ejecting the sd card and reinserting it that helped it to make better contact.

So, does paying for a nav data update give you just one update or three more years of updates?

There are two levels of update you can buy: just once, and three years' worth. I went with the three years one.

Direct from the Mazda Navigation website
I've spent more than a few minutes there and have yet to find where I can purchase a new map plan. Lots of info on how to update the SD card with a new map or download a new version of Mazda Toolbox, but nothing as to how to purchase a new map plan.

Please educate me! :)

I am not entirely sure how I did it, but I'm pretty sure I had to run Mazda Toolbox, which requires that my car's navigation SD card be attached to the computer first (I assume your computer has an SD card reader - otherwise you obviously can't update the card), and then the update purchase options showed up there.

I am not entirely sure how I did it, but I'm pretty sure I had to run Mazda Toolbox, which requires that my car's navigation SD card be attached to the computer first (I assume your computer has an SD card reader - otherwise you obviously can't update the card), and then the update purchase options showed up there.
Ahh, so perhaps you either purchased the maps update via Mazda Toolbox when it noticed that your SD card maps had expired, or the Mazda Toolbox sent you to a website page where you could do the purchase.

As my maps subscription has not reached the end of its initial three-year time, I am not offered the purchase option.

Back