2019 CX-5 getting 2.5 Turbo engine??

Not at all but one needs to take in account the extra weight. An AWD turbo CX-5 would be somewhere between the turbo 6 and awd CX-9 in terms of performance

Bear in mind, due to the FWD set up of the 6, they have to dial back the power of the 2.5t in first gear. On an AWD platform that shouldnt be necessary. The CX5s weight difference might be nullified by the extra power available at launch.

Bear in mind, due to the FWD set up of the 6, they have to dial back the power of the 2.5t in first gear. On an AWD platform that shouldn’t be necessary. The CX5s weight difference might be nullified by the extra power available at launch.

Maybe but considering the CX-9 is somewhere in the 7-8 second bracket with its extra weight, I suspect the AWD 2.5T CX-5 will be in the 6 second bracket, probably still slower than the 2.5T 6

I think it would be on par with an Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost.

Ecoboost is significantly heavier vehicle, and has almost 50# less torque.

Why is everyone all "Nah, it's not like the other Mazda vehicle with the same exact motor and within a gas-tank's weight of it...it's like a Ford SUV!" rofl

What year do you have as the 2013 car I had wasn't as sophisticated as my 2015 or my 2009 xtrail, and the 2017 is even better due to more sensors. I've read that a CRV also sets of in AWD.

2015. Pretty sure none of the CX5's start off the line in AWD.

You can see here what I'm talking about. It needs to detect a speed diff between F/R before it kicks in.

Ecoboost is significantly heavier vehicle, and has almost 50# less torque.

Why is everyone all "Nah, it's not like the other Mazda vehicle with the same exact motor and within a gas-tank's weight of it...it's like a Ford SUV!" rofl

Not defending the Escape by any means but for comparisons sake:

Escape here weighs (depending on trim) 1719kg/3789lbs & 1751kg/3860lbs.

Current 2.5NA CX-5 AWD top 2 trims weigh 1677kg/3697lbs.

I suspect new 2.5T AWD CX-5 might weigh a bit more than current 2.5NA AWD CX-5, so even with 420NM/310FTLBS, I still believe it will be slower than 2.5T Mazda 6 but faster than Ecoboost Escape.

Bear in mind, due to the FWD set up of the 6, they have to dial back the power of the 2.5t in first gear. On an AWD platform that shouldnt be necessary. The CX5s weight difference might be nullified by the extra power available at launch.
My CX-9 will spin the wheels/torque steer under hard acceleration (for a second or two), and it's AWD and much heavier than my CX-5. So i'd imagine if the same powerplant in the same state of tune were dropped in the CX-5, it would do the same. It'll grip faster than a pure FWD, but mazda still has a bit of work to do on the AWD systems on these cars for a full power launch with no slip.

2015. Pretty sure none of the CX5's start off the line in AWD.

You can see here what I'm talking about. It needs to detect a speed diff between F/R before it kicks in.

It depends on how you press the accelerator. If you feather it, it will start off with a small amount of AWD but the harder you press the more it will load the multi plate drive clutch. It also takes gradient into account so if you try to spin the wheels on that steep lane of yours, my guess is that all 4 wheels will spin.

As for Honda CRVs, they have a Haldex axle. I don’t know if the later ones have some electronic input but the originals would only work if the front wheels spun. There is a pump on the input and output of the rear axle which would normally turn in equilibrium thus cycling oil. If the front wheel spins, so does the prop shaft and that would cause the input pump to back up pressure on the output. That pressure was applied to a clutch which would drive the rear axle.

My CX-9 will spin the wheels/torque steer under hard acceleration (for a second or two), and it's AWD and much heavier than my CX-5. So i'd imagine if the same powerplant in the same state of tune were dropped in the CX-5, it would do the same. It'll grip faster than a pure FWD, but mazda still has a bit of work to do on the AWD systems on these cars for a full power launch with no slip.

Maybe you just need stickier tires? Mazda always uses the narrowest wheels possible with "average" oem tires.

The thing is the Escape ecoboost is set up a lot differently. It’s not using the Atkinson cycle and delivers its power a lot differently. You don’t hear those owners describe their power as a refined sense of speed. Anyway I’m not going to say which is faster but that it’s on par. For a CUV it hardly matters once you’re at that adequate level for people to feel confident merging and passing. With the NA I feel that requires planning and isn’t really confidence inspiring. Sure sport mode helps but there is just only so much there.

Back