2019 CX-5 Diesel

Casting aside your thoughts on all Americans being zombies who blindly follow a “leader” who lost the popular vote... how in the world is a vehicle that gets 27/30 mpg saving humanity? Your argument works somewhat for the Skyactiv-X but falls flat for the Skyactiv-D, just like the model failed here due to a sky high price.

There’s too many of you slagging off the diesel when you’ve neither driven one or understand why Mazda are committed to it but it doesn’t help when you live in a culture of very little consideration for the climate emergency. That doesn’t help when your gaffer has a complete disregard for the situation either (I have no political bias to left or right). However, there is a good chance that that will all change when you eventually get a new one that advises you properly.

The Japanese take the climate and their moral obligations much more seriously and when I was at Mazda in Hiroshima recently, they went to some lengths to explain their philosophy on the subject. They have looked in detail at the effects of combustion engines levelled with supposedly cleaner options and in reality, there is still a high real cost of producing batteries and energy to charge them to the environment and carbon emissions. Your beloved gasoline engine is the worst offender and even in its current state is the bottom of the tree for sustainability so Mazda will continue to develop diesel and X engines whether you scoff at it or not. They can offer some improvements with mild hybrids and they will work towards the targets of eliminating combustion engines that the rest of the less selfish nations are committed to but for Mazda, diesel has an important place in their portfolio. I’m not even a tree hugger but I can see people’s houses burning down in some countries and being washed away in others and it’s nice that somebody has an eye on it before it gets to your neighbourhood.

Well the currently offered Skyactiv-D in USA doesn't seem to be the same as yours just strictly talking MPG numbers.

And I wholeheartedly agree that Mazda should be looking at new improvements. What many are scoffing at is the failure that is marketting the diesel as the top end over $41k MSRP trim. It's not at all desirable at that point with the minimal improvement over the gasoline version here.

Casting aside your thoughts on all Americans being zombies who blindly follow a “leader” who lost the popular vote... how in the world is a vehicle that gets 27/30 mpg saving humanity? Your argument works somewhat for the Skyactiv-X but falls flat for the Skyactiv-D, just like the model failed here due to a sky high price.

This, exactly.

There’s too many of you slagging off the diesel when you’ve neither driven one or understand why Mazda are committed to it but it doesn’t help when you live in a culture of very little consideration for the climate emergency. That doesn’t help when your gaffer has a complete disregard for the situation either (I have no political bias to left or right). However, there is a good chance that that will all change when you eventually get a new one that advises you properly.

The Japanese take the climate and their moral obligations much more seriously and when I was at Mazda in Hiroshima recently, they went to some lengths to explain their philosophy on the subject. They have looked in detail at the effects of combustion engines levelled with supposedly cleaner options and in reality, there is still a high real cost of producing batteries and energy to charge them to the environment and carbon emissions. Your beloved gasoline engine is the worst offender and even in its current state is the bottom of the tree for sustainability so Mazda will continue to develop diesel and X engines whether you scoff at it or not. They can offer some improvements with mild hybrids and they will work towards the targets of eliminating combustion engines that the rest of the less selfish nations are committed to but for Mazda, diesel has an important place in their portfolio. I’m not even a tree hugger but I can see people’s houses burning down in some countries and being washed away in others and it’s nice that somebody has an eye on it before it gets to your neighbourhood.

You are wrong. Diesel CX-5 sucks. At everything. Including environmental damage mitigation. Literally the WORST ENGINE in the CX5 line-up, environmentally.

cx5.jpg

Last edited:
Well the currently offered Skyactiv-D in USA doesn't seem to be the same as yours just strictly talking MPG numbers.

And I wholeheartedly agree that Mazda should be looking at new improvements. What many are scoffing at is the failure that is marketting the diesel as the top end over $41k MSRP trim. It's not at all desirable at that point with the minimal improvement over the gasoline version here.
All of them at my dealership have been marked down to $35-37K when I went in today. They still sit there.

The CX5 diesel produces more toxins and pollution than the gasoline version. The CX5 diesel was a complete failure of both emissions and sales, here in the USA. Not to mention in terms of reliability. Thousands of CX5 diesel engines were failing and blowing up in Europe, Australia and Asia due to head gasket failures and crankcase overfilling of diesel fuel due to injectors.

I don't know how someone would defend the CX5 diesel, unless they bought one and are trying to justify their spending of money on it. The Mazda CX5 diesel engine is COMPLETE AND UTTER JUNK.

Last edited:
Here you go. Over 35,000 diesel engines are being recalled due to catastrophic failure potential. And this is only for Australia. More recalls coming for Europe and Asia.

Mazda Diesel Recall

You are wrong. Diesel CX-5 sucks. At everything. Including environmental damage mitigation. Literally the WORST ENGINE in the CX5 line-up, environmentally.

View attachment 222118

Well that changes the discussion for sure. So literally the diesel is pointless from an environmental standpoint too? Wow.

That aside, still no idea what Mazda was thinking just from a marketing standpoint. No one here views diesel as a top trim luxury item and it shows. No one is buying them. Making it a single trim above the Signature was stupid. A mark down to $35-37k? Still too much when the 2.5T Signature resides in that space already. Honestly probably belongs down at the Touring level when it comes to pricing/trim around $30k give or take for people to be at all interested in it.

I mean at this point the only selling point would be towing right?

that’s about it. Along with part rarity and a tech having no idea what to do if you have a mechanical failure of some sort.

Well that changes the discussion for sure. So literally the diesel is pointless from an environmental standpoint too? Wow.

That aside, still no idea what Mazda was thinking just from a marketing standpoint. No one here views diesel as a top trim luxury item and it shows. No one is buying them. Making it a single trim above the Signature was stupid. A mark down to $35-37k? Still too much when the 2.5T Signature resides in that space already. Honestly probably belongs down at the Touring level when it comes to pricing/trim around $30k give or take for people to be at all interested in it.

Why wouldn't you just buy the gas turbo, which has more low-end torque?

The diesel is literally bad. At. Everything.

Why wouldn't you just buy the gas turbo, which has more low-end torque?

The diesel is literally bad. At. Everything.
Unless it’s a cold day when your car becomes a 2.0 model. Mazda and most of the population of Europe must know less than you Unob. You let yourself down with these sweeping statements.

The CX5 diesel produces more toxins and pollution than the gasoline version. The CX5 diesel was a complete failure of both emissions and sales, here in the USA. Not to mention in terms of reliability. Thousands of CX5 diesel engines were failing and blowing up in Europe, Australia and Asia due to head gasket failures and crankcase overfilling of diesel fuel due to injectors.

I don't know how someone would defend the CX5 diesel, unless they bought one and are trying to justify their spending of money on it. The Mazda CX5 diesel engine is COMPLETE AND UTTER JUNK.
Another puerile statement. The information in your recall note is incorrect regarding dates and there is no such recall for Europe. In any case the engine that you have access to isn’t effected and is cleaner than your gasoline engine so before you make childish summary conclusions, at least get some facts right.

The main issue the diesel engine faces in the US is cheap gas, just over $2/gallon in many places. Here, diesel is substantially more expensive than regular gasoline. It's far cheaper to buy and run any other trim except the gas Signature. I would have to pay $10,000 more to lose my dual exhaust, have slightly worse acceleration, and gain several hundred pounds. It makes a lot more sense in the UK where gas could be the equivalent of closer to $5 a gallon.

The main issue the diesel engine faces in the US is cheap gas, just over $2/gallon in many places. Here, diesel is substantially more expensive than regular gasoline. It's far cheaper to buy and run any other trim except the gas Signature. I would have to pay $10,000 more to lose my dual exhaust, have slightly worse acceleration, and gain several hundred pounds. It makes a lot more sense in the UK where gas could be the equivalent of closer to $5 a gallon.
Yes, I take your point but but there were two aspects to my recent answer. The first is in response to the comments about why Mazda don’t dump the diesel or even ever bothered launching it and that was because battery and hybrid power are not at a stage where they can fully compete with combustion engines. The second is that the latest spec diesel that you are offered is much cleaner than the gasoline options. Of course the tirade of responses are based on reliability of older models and the cost comparisons of the car and the fuel. These completely miss the point that some day the US will have to follow the rest of the world in recognising that we are in trouble with the environment and start investigating the alternatives. New Euro 6 diesels are considerably cleaner than gasoline engines and there is something far more pressing than the cost to the individuals.

Yes, I take your point but but there were two aspects to my recent answer. The first is in response to the comments about why Mazda don’t dump the diesel or even ever bothered launching it and that was because battery and hybrid power are not at a stage where they can fully compete with combustion engines. The second is that the latest spec diesel that you are offered is much cleaner than the gasoline options. Of course the tirade of responses are based on reliability of older models and the cost comparisons of the car and the fuel. These completely miss the point that some day the US will have to follow the rest of the world in recognising that we are in trouble with the environment and start investigating the alternatives. New Euro 6 diesels are considerably cleaner than gasoline engines and there is something far more pressing than the cost to the individuals.

Did you miss Unobtainiums EPA environmental ratings on the diesel or are you just ignoring it because it completely negates your “facts”? As far as I’m concerned the rest of the world (I.e. Germany) brought us Dieselgate, and unfortunately killed diesel technology in the US market for companies like Mazda who weren’t cheating.

That said I await the arrival of the Skyactiv-X here and hope to see them bring an in-line six to one of their models.

:ROFLMAO:o_O:unsure:

You do realize that Europe is quickly reversing their diesel push and is now pushing hard toward and all-electric future, right???

The second is that the latest spec diesel that you are offered is much cleaner than the gasoline options. Of course the tirade of responses are based on reliability of older models and the cost comparisons of the car and the fuel. These completely miss the point that some day the US will have to follow the rest of the world in recognising that we are in trouble with the environment and start investigating the alternatives. New Euro 6 diesels are considerably cleaner than gasoline engines and there is something far more pressing than the cost to the individuals.

These completely miss the point that some day the US will have to follow the rest of the world in recognising that we are in trouble with the environment and start investigating the alternatives. New Euro 6 diesels are considerably cleaner than gasoline engines and there is something far more pressing than the cost to the individuals.

Just because we don't virtue signal politically circlejerking, and share the fanatical alarmism that has become prevalent, doesn't mean the US doesn't do anything like you are making it out to be. Reasonable people here all agree that we should be good stewards of the environment and curb pollution. Unreasonable people on the alarmist side say screw your jobs, livelihood, and economy. Crash the whole damn thing. Reasonable people say you need to transition smoothly and slowly with technologies that actually work while working people transition their skills into newer technologies or be left behind, at that point, it's their own choice.

The second is that the latest spec diesel that you are offered is much cleaner than the gasoline options.

EPA chart Uno posted show this to not be true. Thoughts?

Back