2019 CX-5 2.5T Misfire

I recall the non-U.S. normally aspirated calls for 5w-30. Mine isn't turbo, and says 0w-20 on the cap, although being in Texas I use 5w-30.

Also, you can download (Windows) or cellphone app of Forscan, and use it with a bluetooth or USB OBD adapter (what I do). Forscan isn't as user friendly as Torque, but it reads all sorts of basic and advanced PID's, including misfire counters. With the PC version + $25 USB OBD adapter, mine reads 250+ PIDS/sec.
mine scan tool used to read 200+ but mazda updated the pcm to the newest ver, that must of change all the datapoint so it no longer works.

I will wait till my day off next week and go into the dealership for them to take a look at it again. The vibration can easily be felt, im surprise the shop foreman said it feels ok lol

I recall the non-U.S. normally aspirated calls for 5w-30. Mine isn't turbo, and says 0w-20 on the cap, although being in Texas I use 5w-30.
oh wow interesting, i thought mazda only used 5w30 for the turbo engines to prevent fuel dilution and such, i guess it depends on climate and location too

I have sadly discovered that employment statistics also apply to service techs; 75% are average ability or worse. 10% are very good, and 1% top notch and the kind you want when doing detailed diagnostics. The likelihood you have one of those at your dealerships, is, well....

I have sadly discovered that employment statistics also apply to service techs; 75% are average ability or worse. 10% are very good, and 1% top notch and the kind you want when doing detailed diagnostics. The likelihood you have one of those at your dealerships, is, well....
unfortunately it is how things are now, flat rate is ruining things for everyone, a tech needs time to diag but sadly warranty time just does not pay enough, spending hours to find a problem only to find it was the coil that caused the problem and only getting paid .5 hour to replace.

Mazda recommends 0W-20 oil for naturally aspirated 2.0L / 2.5L in the US, but more choices in other areas:

21239744-1CB0-4A4C-BA0C-70217C8D79A4.jpeg
99D6566E-3B94-40F6-95A2-C148CA0DC23A.jpeg

yep, that's the chart I saw. We don't see -40F, and not even 0F in North Texas. 100F, for months. 110F on occasion.

Dealership is full of s*** based on those pics of the coil pack bolts. Couldn’t reproduce and monitor it? We will be happy charge you for a valve cleaning if you’re willing? No sir. Any other service centers in the area? I’d open a case with Mazda corporate if I had to go back to that same service center.

I don't think they swapped coils because they couldn't reproduce the issue and asked you to monitor it. Why work on an issue they can't reproduce.

lol carbon cleaning service.. you should do that for a USD $10 can (you don't even need to use the whole can).. prior to every oil change

I don't think they swapped coils because they couldn't reproduce the issue and asked you to monitor it. Why work on an issue they can't reproduce.
well honestly the rough idle u can feel easily, but i feel they dont want look into it further unless the code comes back again, after all they did update the pcm software without even telling me

One thing I noticed on your freeze frame was an unusually high 3.19 g/s MAF reading for 550 RPM. Would expect about 2 g/s. Combined with a somewhat low MAP reading (-17 in vacuum, but expect -19 to- 21 in), and an unusually high 31% load (expect < 25%), but somewhat high 12% throttle position (should be 5 or 5%) and OK fuel trims, I might suspect something like stuck open PCV; large bypass flow, low in 02 content (crankcase blowby). Or some additional engine load that isn't kicking the RPM up (A/C, transmission in gear *would* cause the RPM to boost))

One thing I noticed on your freeze frame was an unusually high 3.19 g/s MAF reading for 550 RPM. Would expect about 2 g/s. Combined with a somewhat low MAP reading (-17 in vacuum, but expect -19 to- 21 in), and an unusually high 31% load (expect < 25%), but somewhat high 12% throttle position (should be 5 or 5%) and OK fuel trims, I might suspect something like stuck open PCV; large bypass flow, low in 02 content (crankcase blowby). Or some additional engine load that isn't kicking the RPM up (A/C, transmission in gear *would* cause the RPM to boost))
Would you think possible carbon build up on intake valve would cause this as well?

Wouldn't think so for 15k miles. I haven't seen data from a known carbon restricted GDI engine, but would guess lower than normal MAF along with lumpy idle.

Top tier gas doesn't matter on GDI, regarding valve carbon. Fuel doesn't get sprayed on the lower intake and back of valves like port injected.

Wouldn't think so for 15k miles. I haven't seen data from a known carbon restricted GDI engine, but would guess lower than normal MAF along with lumpy idle.

Top tier gas doesn't matter on GDI, regarding valve carbon. Fuel doesn't get sprayed on the lower intake and back of valves like port injected.
i see, thank you for your insight. currently im just waiting for the check engine light to come back

Back