2018 CX-5 GT Tech have lateral/horizontal headlight aiming/adjustment screws?

Recently had the drivers side headlight replaced under warranty (moisture + dead LED accent) and the aiming seems off pointed high and to the center of car compared to before. Took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the vertical axis but said there is no adjustment for the horizontal axis. I know there is a channel in the headlight housing for adjustment horizontally (aimed outward beside the channel to the vertical adjustment screw) but at the end there is a smooth white cap that cant be removed. Looked everywhere online for the "Headlight Aiming" section referenced in the '17+ Service/Workshop manual but cannot find it. Any help is appreciated!

Horizontal is part of a motor system as far as I know, but I haven't looked more into that to be honest. When you start the car with lights 'on' you would notice it does self leveling horizontal check then centers.

Could it be the new headlight is not mounted on the car correctly?

If it's still under warranty, I would probably ask the dealer to fix it as it was before. One could argue that headlights are critical safety element of the car.

This is the only one that I've seen...

20210603_195805.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply and picture! Thats what I was wondering as well. I can find where the horizontal screw would be in the diagonal channel on the back of the light but it’s covered by a white cap. Wondering if they covered it up since it is part of an automatic centering system. They were confident it wasn’t adjustable but I would love to see the service manual to confirm lol. Headlight seemed to be properly mounted from what I can tell and it does the start up horizontal dance.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply and picture! Thats what I was wondering as well. I can find where the horizontal screw would be in the diagonal channel on the back of the light but it’s covered by a white cap. Wondering if they covered it up since it is part of an automatic centering system. They were confident it wasn’t adjustable but I would love to see the service manual to confirm lol. Headlight seemed to be properly mounted from what I can tell and it does the start up horizontal dance.
I recently went down this road, too.
Try looking at used headlights on Ebay...people usually show the headlights from all angles and you can see where the adjusters are. If I recall correctly, the horizontal adjustment has a cap on it on the models that have the AFS system to prevent it from being adjusted. Make sure you're looking at an OEM headlight pictures and not an aftermarket one...the adjusters are different.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

1622814539927.png

Best of luck!

Upvote 0
May I revive this thread? I’m really wanting to get my driver headlight off of the right lane stripe and into the lane. I’m 99.9% sure I don’t have the automatic lateral adjuster, only the automatic leveler. Here is what the website says for the 2021 MY (I have a 2021 Touring).

Sport: LED, auto on/off, high beam control
Touring: LED w auto level, auto on/off, high beam control
GT: Signature LED, auto on/off, high beam ctrl, adaptive front lighting

I’m assuming that adaptive lighting is the automatic lateral thing. That means my touring doesn’t have it. I have the (assumed) lateral adjuster at the bottom of that channel. It has a transparent cap on it and I can clearly see the adjuster gear just like the vertical adjuster. The dealer said it’s un-adjustable. I emailed Mazda about it but don’t expect much help from them. Anyone figure this out?

Upvote 0
May I revive this thread? I’m really wanting to get my driver headlight off of the right lane stripe and into the lane. I’m 99.9% sure I don’t have the automatic lateral adjuster, only the automatic leveler. Here is what the website says for the 2021 MY (I have a 2021 Touring).

Sport: LED, auto on/off, high beam control
Touring: LED w auto level, auto on/off, high beam control
GT: Signature LED, auto on/off, high beam ctrl, adaptive front lighting

I’m assuming that adaptive lighting is the automatic lateral thing. That means my touring doesn’t have it. I have the (assumed) lateral adjuster at the bottom of that channel. It has a transparent cap on it and I can clearly see the adjuster gear just like the vertical adjuster. The dealer said it’s un-adjustable. I emailed Mazda about it but don’t expect much help from them. Anyone figure this out?
Yes, there’s an adjuster available for lateral adjustment on your headlights. In fact, there’s an adjuster for vertical adjustment even if your headlights have auto-leveling feature.

Upvote 0
I guess the question is if anyone has been able to pop that cap off. Or has gotten the dealer to take it off.

Upvote 0
Well Mazda got back to me. They called the dealer and basically relayed the dealer’s answer. They said there’s no lateral adjuster. Yes there’s an adjustment point there, but even if the cap were taken off, it is not a functional adjustment point.

Upvote 0
Back