2017 Wards 10 Best Engines

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
From Seven Turbos, Three Hybrids Share Wards 10 Best Engines Honors, The Class of 2017 in alphabetical order:

3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW M240i)
1.5L DOHC 4-cyl./Dual Motor EREV (Chevrolet Volt)
3.6L DOHC V-6/Dual Motor PHEV (Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid)
2.3L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Ford Focus RS)
2.0L DOHC 4-cyl./Dual Motor HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)
1.4L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Hyundai Elantra Eco)
3.0L Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Infiniti Q50)
2.5L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Mazda CX-9)
2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Mercedes-Benz C300)
2.0L Turbo/Supercharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volvo V60 Polestar)

Putting a 4-cyl. engine into a 7-passenger CUV doesn’t usually send a thrill up the leg of automotive journalists, but Mazda worked some real magic with the new Skyactiv 2.5L.

Direct fuel injection and an ingenious cylinder-head design allowing scavenging of exhaust gases to boost power and efficiency help this engine deliver excellent low and mid-range torque like a big V-6, and it had some of us checking under the hood of the new second-generation CX-9 to make sure it wasn’t.

Mazda has built its “zoom-zoom” brand image on new, technically savvy Skyactiv engines over the past several years, but this is the first one applying forced induction.

The automaker claims an industry first with its Dynamic Pressure turbocharger, which uses a butterfly valve in the exhaust plumbing to create more pressure at low engine speeds, helping the turbo spool up more quickly and mitigate lag.

Mazda advertises two output levels for this 2.5L 4-cyl. – 227 hp with regular unleaded and 250 hp with premium 93-RON fuel, for the driver who occasionally wants a bit more jump.

Thanks for sharing! I'm absolutely loving this engine so far. Feels a lot bigger than it actually is. I was always hesitant of 4-cyl engines on SUVs but I stand corrected. We don't do any towing so I can't say anything about that, but this engine is plenty capable for driving from a to b... with a lot fun getting to b!

Sweet!

It's kinda interesting that only one naturally aspirated engine made the 10 best when the majority of engines out there are such. As if they are more interested in the latest innovations over other factors.

It's too bad sales are clearly being hit due to no V6 being available. Too many people just believe a larger SUV has to have at least a V6 without considering the latest advancements.

I was already impressed with this engine.
Wards just validated my good judgement. (2thumbs)

From Seven Turbos, Three Hybrids Share Wards 10 Best Engines Honors
Mazda advertises two output levels for this 2.5L 4-cyl. 227 hp with regular unleaded and 250 hp with premium 93-RON fuel, for the driver who occasionally wants a bit more jump.
Lol⋯ This WardsAuto website can't even give correct gasoline octane rating for the US! I have to doubt their credibility⋯ (notcool)

For those who don't know, octane rating in the US uses Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or "(R+M)/2" written on the pump while in all other areas including Europe uses Research Octane Number (RON).

Lol⋯ This WardsAuto website can't even give correct gasoline octane rating for the US! I have to doubt their credibility⋯ (notcool)

For those who don't know, octane rating in the US uses Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or "(R+M)/2" written on the pump while in all other areas including Europe uses Research Octane Number (RON).

Could it be entirely possible that WardsAuto has readers in countries outside of the U.S.? After all, the article is about 2017 10 Best Engines in the world.

Could it be entirely possible that WardsAuto has readers in countries outside of the U.S.? After all, the article is about 2017 10 Best Engines in the world.
No, 93-RON octane rating is the regular gas, way below the premium. if they use RON for octane rating, they should say "250 hp with premium 98-RON fuel"! 98-RON octane rating roughly equals to US 93-AKI octane rating.

No, 93-RON octane rating is the regular gas, way below the premium. if they use RON for octane rating, they should say "250 hp with premium 98-RON fuel"! 98-RON octane rating roughly equals to US 93-AKI octane rating.

I see.

My take was that the author was trying to write it for a global audience and used RON metric. But since the writer is likely not really all that familiar with the ROM to AKI conversion being that he's located in the US, the mistake was made. Thanks for clarifying that.

I see.
My take was that the author was trying to write it for a global audience and used RON metric. But since the writer is likely not really all that familiar with the ROM to AKI conversion being that he's located in the US, the mistake was made. Thanks for clarifying that.
Actually I was just trying to give that WardsAuto website a hard time as I didn't like all the engines they picked are turbo's and hybrid's. :) But I do believe it was only an honest mistake by the author as any car enthusiast should know the difference between these two octane ratings.

Sign of the times.
Yeah and there is no way to get around it as more restrict fuel economy CAFE standard is looming up. I personally refuse to get any turbo or hybrid due to their complexity. Eventually I'll have no choice but getting one as there is no other options! :(

Actually there's none. 7 turbos, 3 hybrids. Perhaps technically the hybrids are part naturally aspirated working with an electric motor but really that doesn't count by definition.

By definition, an electric motor backing up the engine has nothing whatsoever to do with air induction.

By definition, an electric motor backing up the engine has nothing whatsoever to do with air induction.

True, just saying that the list includes no traditional 4,6,8 cylinder engines. All turbo and hybrid. I know the definition of naturally aspirated vs forced induction but also when one says naturally aspirated you think traditional engine, not hybrid. At least that's how I think of it. I know what you're saying though.

Back