2017 Infotainment Jammed

GTScott

:
2016 MX-5 / 2017 CX-5 GT AWD
2017 GT AWD, 1,500 miles

I am putting this here in case anyone has the same issue.

Leaving the other morning I put the vehicle in reverse and the camera image was jammed. Just a picture. I put it into drive and "Navigation Loading" came on and stayed on with the spinning indicator. Audio could be heard from my last source and the volume control knob worked. I unplugged and re plugged my phone. I also swapped it from USB-1 to USB-2. One of those things fixed part of it and the audio started to work and I could select other sources. Navigation still would not load. I drove about 2 hours and it never loaded. After stopping and fueling up it came back and everything was working. It likely just needed a reboot. If it does it again, I will take it to the dealer.

I will check my version and post.

2017 GT AWD, 1,500 miles

I am putting this here in case anyone has the same issue.

Leaving the other morning I put the vehicle in reverse and the camera image was jammed. Just a picture. I put it into drive and "Navigation Loading" came on and stayed on with the spinning indicator. Audio could be heard from my last source and the volume control knob worked. I unplugged and re plugged my phone. I also swapped it from USB-1 to USB-2. One of those things fixed part of it and the audio started to work and I could select other sources. Navigation still would not load. I drove about 2 hours and it never loaded. After stopping and fueling up it came back and everything was working. It likely just needed a reboot. If it does it again, I will take it to the dealer.

I will check my version and post.

try a "soft" re-boot press buttons mute + navi + back (hold all three buttons for 10 seconds) you won't lose any of your radio, bluetooth, BCM control settings, etc

doesn't seem like an isolated issue......Mazda 3 also

also, try not to have your navigation screen as your last page before you shut down your car.
Have it on something easy to load like FM radio. The Navigation is very laggy and takes a whole bunch of memory to load and will affect loading up the rear camera. I always have FM or USB as my last screen as my last page and never have an issue with rear camera loading.

Last edited:
I've just had it lock up on me once, and I ended up just turning off/on the car to fix it. My issue was that it didn't resume the song from my USB stick, so I immediately tried to browse the USD drive's folders and it got stuck trying to load. I tried going back to Home, but that seemed to make it worse and it'd just spin while trying to load.

I eventually turned the car off/on when I got to a stoplight and that fixed it. I'm assuming I just wasn't patient enough, and it was still loading the USB drive info when I jumped in to try and change things. So far that's been the only instance, though I'll also mention that I'm not on the most recent infotainment version at the moment.

Get some good contact cleaner that's safe for plastics.

With the car off, remove the Nav card and apply some contact cleaner to the contacts on the Nav card (both sides). Insert the card and eject it a couple of times. Do this with what ever you're plugging into the USB ports as well.

The system uses info that it gets from the Nav card during the 'booting process'. If the connection if poor the system can freak out a bit and you're seeing the result of that.

YYMV

Get some good contact cleaner that's safe for plastics.

With the car off, remove the Nav card and apply some contact cleaner to the contacts on the Nav card (both sides). Insert the card and eject it a couple of times. Do this with what ever you're plugging into the USB ports as well.

The system uses info that it gets from the Nav card during the 'booting process'. If the connection if poor the system can freak out a bit and you're seeing the result of that.

YYMV

I agree that this is definitely worth doing and can clearly be the cause of the issues described.

Ive had the same issue on my marine GPS on my boat, system simply wouldnt boot up but when the nav card was taken out, it was fine. Cleaned the card contacts exaxtly as described, and it was all fine again, worked flawlessly. And this, in a GPS unit with a sealed SD card holder and where the SD map card hadnt been touched for a couple of years.

try a "soft" re-boot press buttons mute + navi + back (hold all three buttons for 10 seconds) you won't lose any of your radio, bluetooth, BCM control settings, etc

doesn't seem like an isolated issue......Mazda 3 also

also, try not to have your navigation screen as your last page before you shut down your car.
Have it on something easy to load like FM radio. The Navigation is very laggy and takes a whole bunch of memory to load and will affect loading up the rear camera. I always have FM or USB as my last screen as my last page and never have an issue with rear camera loading.

This is good to know. My camera was dead for a few restarts because I believe I had the NAV screen on last. Eventually it cleared itself and has been good for a while now.

Last edited:
Back