2017 CX5 Touring AWD

The timer wouldn't kick in straight away after starting the vehicle....

IOW, it would start "off".
The timer starts every time the heater is turned on, no?

Last edited:
Should be the same as the seats. On and off when one wants it to be

You seem to be confusing the timer function with the switch. The driver turns them on and off when they want to-- that's the switches. The timer, I imagine, is intended to keep the wheel from getting too hot-- it's out of the control of the driver.

In any case, you CAN turn them on and off whenever you want. You just can't make the wheel keep heating constantly. That's a different issue than one or both retaining the same state as when the car was turned off.

Why do you think the seat switch and wheel switch should function the same?

Last edited:
I don’t mind the wheel shutting off. It comes back at intervals to rewarm the wheel, like a thermostat. Once the cabin is up to temperature then it’s not really needed. First world problem for sure.

You seem to be confusing the timer function with the switch. The driver turns them on and off when they want to-- that's the switches. The timer, I imagine, is intended to keep the wheel from getting too hot-- it's out of the control of the driver.

In any case, you CAN turn them on and off whenever you want. You just can't make the wheel keep heating constantly. That's a different issue than one or both retaining the same state as when the car was turned off.

Why do you think the seat switch and wheel switch should function the same?

I am not confused. Do the seat warmers have timers (uhm)

As I said before, the driver should be in control. What is the point of having 2 different types of switches for essentially the same thing that is heating an item be it steering wheel or seat.

I have again read online that some reviewers found it odd that the steering wheel heater doesn't remember to be on when you turn the vehicle on like the seats do

Last edited:
I am not confused. Do the seat warmers have timers (uhm)

As I said before, the driver should be in control. What is the point of having 2 different types of switches for essentially the same thing that is heating an item be it steering wheel or seat.

I have again read online that some reviewers found it odd that the steering wheel heater doesn't remember to be on when you turn the vehicle on like the seats do

I'm sure "online some reviewers found it odd". I'm sure other people do not. I'm glad Mazda decided to configure it this way. Makes perfect sense to me. To each their own.

I guess you'll just have to suffer with it when you get your new one! But don't worry. It's neither a big hardship, nor confusing. :)

Since we've been discussing the heated steering wheel, here's a interesting warning from the 17 OM:

Capture4.JPG

Most of those individuals [excluding delicate skin, some physically challenged, and "elderly"] shouldn't be sitting behind the wheel at all.

Nevertheless... they persist.

The entire wheel isn't heated by the way. Only "10 & 2" or near those areas

Since we've been discussing the heated steering wheel, here's a interesting warning from the 17 OM:

Capture4.JPG

Most of those individuals [excluding delicate skin, some physically challenged, and "elderly"] shouldn't be sitting behind the wheel at all.

Nevertheless... they persist.

The legal system mandates they add that disclaimer. The sue happy population would jump all over them otherwise.

As for your opinion on who should drive, remember you might be one of those descriptions in the future. Let’s be considerate

The legal system mandates they add that disclaimer. The sue happy population would jump all over them otherwise.

As for your opinion on who should drive, remember you might be one of those descriptions in the future. Lets be considerate

Apparently you didn't read my exceptions. Obviously the lawyers insist, they do it all the time.
My point was that drunks, impaired people, small children and infants shouldn't be driving, so I found it amusing that they were specified in reference to the heated steering wheel. (flash)

Apparently you didn't read my exceptions. Obviously the lawyers insist, they do it all the time.
My point was that drunks, impaired people, small children and infants shouldn't be driving, so I found it amusing that they were specified in reference to the heated steering wheel. (flash)

I don’t get the flash thing but anyway I misunderstood your post and apologize.

Back