2017 CX-9 Rear Brake Job - Cost?

Looking to see what a fair price is for a rear brake job at a shop. #1) just pad replacement #2) R&R rotors and pads?

thanks

Best place to check for a price is repairpal.com they will give you a price plus the shops that will honor that price in your area.

So, my 2016 cx9 rear brakes wore way faster than my front brake pads which shouldn't happen. I don't know if that is your case or not. I complained and also found some complaints online about the rear brakes sticking as a result of the E-Brake causing premature wear. My dealer ended up replacing my brakes for free. I should be getting an oil change soon and we are going to check to see the wear pattern. My car has 36k miles.

So, my 2016 cx9 rear brakes wore way faster than my front brake pads which shouldn't happen.
Seems to be the norm with Mazda these days.
Rears always seem to go first.
Looking at the rears on my 6 (2017), they look cheap and inadequate.
I've mentioned in another thread I'll have to replace them before I hit 20k miles, and I'll definitely look at going non OEM.

Just replaced both front and rear rotors and pads for my 2010 CX-9.
I bought OEM parts online and it was about $550 shipped.

This is my second car where the rears wear faster than the fronts. A Volvo was the other one.

Beware of scare tactics by the dealership service writer. They only get paid on commission, so they need to sell service items. You need to know the actual thickness of the brake pad material, not just the piece-work-paid tech's guess at a percentage. He only gets paid by the job, also. I'd renew the pads when they're at about 3 mm. The rotors only need replacement if they're scored or worn thin. They are a wear item.

It is always a good idea to have the brake fluid completely flushed and renewed when other brake work is done. The fluid absorbs moisture and that degrades the fluid. Brake fluid with a high moisture content can flash to vapor under the heat of extreme braking---your brake pedal goes to the floor and you have no brakes.

Always check independent shops. A dealership owner's gold mine is their service department.

My 2016 rears look neither cheap nor inadequate.

So, my 2016 cx9 rear brakes wore way faster than my front brake pads which shouldn't happen. I don't know if that is your case or not. I complained and also found some complaints online about the rear brakes sticking as a result of the E-Brake causing premature wear. My dealer ended up replacing my brakes for free. I should be getting an oil change soon and we are going to check to see the wear pattern. My car has 36k miles.
I’m not sure this is uncommon. My 2005 and 2012 Honda Pilots both regularly went thru rear pads about twice as fast. My 2019 CX9 has 23k miles on it and it too only has 4mm left on the rear pads (vs 6 on the fronts). Maybe it just the brake bias on these SUVs it maybe its more of a handling setup from the factory. YMMV of course

Many crossover SUVs have the brakes set up so that the rears do most of the initial braking. This keeps the vehicle from nose-diving if the brakes are applied hard

Nguvanh did you do the work yourself? if you did how did you put the rear calipers into service mode?

Back