2017 CX-5 AWD Grinding sound during cold humid weather

gemepio

2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 CX5 grand touring AWD and recently I started notice a weird noise after the car has been parked in a cold and humid weather. After the car has been parked for at least 1 hour then I put the car into drive, then at the very moment the car starts to get rolling (with or without my foot put on the gas paddle), I will hear and feel the very quick grinding sound, somewhere from under the driver or passenger side.

At the very beginning, I thought maybe this is from a sticky brake pad. But I can tell the sound and feel is very different from the symptom of a sticky brake pad after the car wash or the car has been parked in a moist environment. Then I took the car to the dealership for a checkup and the technician said everything is good. I also jack the car up and took a look at all the links and shafts and everything does look in a good shape.’

So I just want to see if anyone has any experience like this before?

Got a video?
Without hearing it, it does seem like maybe some light rust on the rotors, but since you state it sounds different, not sure what else.
Maybe something rubbing on an axle or driveshaft? Just throwing out ideas.

Got a video?
Without hearing it, it does seem like maybe some light rust on the rotors, but since you state it sounds different, not sure what else.
Maybe something rubbing on an axle or driveshaft? Just throwing out ideas.
Thank you for your inputs. I‘m living in GA and weather is starting getting warmer. So it will be really hard to reproduce this symptom now. Maybe I need wait until later of the year.

I did replace the break pad and clean the rotor. But after that, that still happens. What is very interesting is that this only happens at the very moment of the car starts to moving forward then it’s gone and won’t happen anytime during the driving or short stop. It will only come back again when the car parked in the specific “cold” and “humid” environment for at least 1 hour. If it’s something rubbing on and axle or drive shaft, then this should not be happening only during the car driving forward and only happens for the duration of less than 1 second.

Anyway, like mentioned above, I have to wait some colder and humid days, which might be later this year. lol I will update if I found anything else.

Could be the rotors developing a slight coating of rust while they sit in the high humidity which would be perfectly normal, and then when you drive the first few applications of the brake pad wears it off. I always hear this after a slight rain or a very humid night.

Last edited:
I agree with madar, it could just be a very thin layer of rust on the rotor that only takes a couple turns to wipe away.

As for the axle idea, I was thinking maybe there was something contacting that wore away after a few rotations. Off the wall example would be a part number tag on the axle that's contacting another surface (or vice versa) that gets iced over after sitting. The ice wipes away fairly quick, so the noise disappears quickly as well. Long shot, but just an idea.

grinding noise is unfortunately very common and caused by rust
next time you change the pads please check if they are worn evenly

Latest posts

Back