2017 Brake/Rotor replacement at 105k miles - recommendations? Rockauto?

Just wondering, have you lubricated your sliding pins with silicone grease? Could be the reason why you're having the pulsating feeling or it could be warped rotors.
I haven’t done anything. These are the original brakes from new. I’m ok with replacing everything considering I got 105k miles out of it all.

I haven’t done anything. These are the original brakes from new. I’m ok with replacing everything considering I got 105k miles out of it all.

Okay, that would probably be the reason why your brakes are pulsating. I had the same issue before and I realized that my sliding pins were stuck because they didn't have lubrication.

Okay, that would probably be the reason why your brakes are pulsating. I had the same issue before and I realized that my sliding pins were stuck because they didn't have lubrication.
That would be disappointing as I have it serviced at the dealer (business expense) and I would expect them to keep them lubricated.
I won’t have the dealer replace the brakes because I can’t justify the markup even if it is a business expense.

That would be disappointing as I have it serviced at the dealer (business expense) and I would expect them to keep them lubricated.
I won’t have the dealer replace the brakes because I can’t justify the markup even if it is a business expense.

It's hard to say but the only way to find out would be to inspect it yourself. I was actually quoted about $400-500 to replace my front brakes previously and that's kind of the reason why I went the DIY route since I can't justify paying that much as well. Brake pads/rotors cost nothing to purchase and most of the dealerships mark up comes from labor/operating expenses etc.

But either way, the lubrication does dry up over time so even if they did apply it previously, it would need to be redone at least once or twice a year depending on climate/driving conditions.

The caliper pins on my front brakes were not bound up and the factory grease was not dried out.And this was almost 7 years from build date. I did use SYL-GLYDE silicone grease on the pins when doing the brakes.I mentioned not too long ago in another thread that I religiously high pressure spray down the brakes good at the car wash.Easy to spray thru the spokes.Just don't do it with hot rotors.I also put the wand thru the grille and spray the radiator,A/C condenser and surrounding area good, especially when the roads have been salted.

The front brakes are easy to do.Forget the dealer.And don't assume that they grease the pins when they service your car.And when retracting the caliper piston (with C-clamp or whatever) just open the bleeder screw and vent that old fluid.Then top off the brake reservoir or suction it out and fill it with new fluid.Or bleed the system which would be best.

The caliper pins on my front brakes were not bound up and the factory grease was not dried out.And this was almost 7 years from build date. I did use SYL-GLYDE silicone grease on the pins when doing the brakes.I mentioned not too long ago in another thread that I religiously high pressure spray down the brakes good at the car wash.Easy to spray thru the spokes.Just don't do it with hot rotors.I also put the wand thru the grille and spray the radiator,A/C condenser and surrounding area good, especially when the roads have been salted.

The front brakes are easy to do.Forget the dealer.And don't assume that they grease the pins when they service your car.And when retracting the caliper piston (with C-clamp or whatever) just open the bleeder screw and vent that old fluid.Then top off the brake reservoir or suction it out and fill it with new fluid.Or bleed the system which would be best.

I like to check my brake pads at least 1x per year for thickness and even wear. I then test the pins via pulling/pushing the caliper for movement. I re-lube as needed although another reason could be trapped air. Simply removing the pin and re-inserting releases said trapped air. At that point might as well re-lube with quality silicone lube.

I like to also inspect the rubber caliper boot cover for holes.

Back