2017 Brake/Rotor replacement at 105k miles - recommendations? Rockauto?

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
The time has come to replace the brake pads. I'm going to replace the front and rear pads/rotors as I'm at 105k on the original brakes (we drive 30k/year). Usually I use Advance Auto parts for brake supplies but thought I would check out the forums. I quick search had some people recommending the Element3 rotors and I'm surprised to see a rotor for $17. Here is the breakdown of parts per site:

OEM: $450+ (I didn't research this fully....just searched on medcenter mazda parts page)
Advance Auto: $320
RockAuto: $150

I'm need some reassurance on the use of Rock Auto. Will I regret using the Element3 rotors/pads? I've been happy with OEM....will I be happy with Element3?

I can’t comment on the Element3 rotors, but I’m extremely happy with my CarQuest painted rotors and Akebono ProACT pads. They stop faster than OEM and generate very little dust. They are dead quiet too.

The Element3 parts seem to be well regarded, no negative comments on them here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...aybestos-element3-eht-pads-pics.235789/page-4

I just got my shocks and struts through RockAuto. Part selection was more diverse with faster shipping times than local auto stores. You’ll like using them, and I don’t think you can go wrong with the Raybestos parts. Folks speculating they might be a little louder due to larger size and composition but the price is compelling.

After a year and 20k miles, Raybestos rotors with the silver E3 coating and Akebono Pro ACT pads were looking and working great on the 16 GT I traded in August.

I just put the same combination (Different part numbers because of the bigger dual piston calipers) on my GTR.

Both times I used RockAuto. No complaints.

I've used Raybestos for years on everything I replaced. The most recent sets have been the Element3 and I have no complaints about them. Fit perfect. Price was right. Perform like brakes should. I like the Element3 coated rotors as well.

As far ask RockAuto? I've bought stuff from them and the only thing that bothers me about how they do it is multiple "shipping points" with separate shipping charges. I don't like that. On my last RockAuto shopping experience, I picked out a bunch of stuff, got to the checkout where they added in all these shipping charges from 4 separate locations and instead of clicking "NEXT", I printed off my cart and took it to my local autoparts brick-n-mortar store and asked if they could be competitive with that (before shipping) RockAuto price? They were. I happily bought local :)

I've used Raybestos for years on everything I replaced. The most recent sets have been the Element3 and I have no complaints about them. Fit perfect. Price was right. Perform like brakes should. I like the Element3 coated rotors as well.

As far ask RockAuto? I've bought stuff from them and the only thing that bothers me about how they do it is multiple "shipping points" with separate shipping charges. I don't like that. On my last RockAuto shopping experience, I picked out a bunch of stuff, got to the checkout where they added in all these shipping charges from 4 separate locations and instead of clicking "NEXT", I printed off my cart and took it to my local autoparts brick-n-mortar store and asked if they could be competitive with that (before shipping) RockAuto price? They were. I happily bought local :)
Good point on shipping. I guess I was lucky on this last go around. All parts were shipped groom the same warehouse. Great tip on price matching!

Try amazon for auto parts. If you have prime they ship free. For brake rotors and pads this can save you serious money.

Good point on shipping. I guess I was lucky on this last go around. All parts were shipped groom the same warehouse. Great tip on price matching!
Did the Rock Auto charge you sales tax?

I have a 2016 and went with PowerStop coated from RockAuto. My only complaint was that one of the replacement shims didn't mate with the caliper causing it to stick. I reused the OEM shim which worked fine. Powerstop was also offering a rebate at that time so I saved an additional $50.

I just ordered the Power Stop parts. I ordered Z23 pads and the Geomet Coated blank rotors. Unfortunately the kits with the Z23 are all drilled and slotted, and I wanted blanks. Still cost less than the Z17 kit from Amazon, after 5% coupon code, including shipping. But they'll take over a week to get here instead of Prime.

Total, including about $40 shipping, plus tax was $268.

018 MAZDA CX-5 2.5L L4
POWER STOP​
Z231623 (Z23-1623)Brake Pad
$ 36.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 36.79​
POWER STOP​
Z231846 (Z23-1846)Brake Pad
$ 33.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 33.79​
POWER STOP​
JBR1595EVCRotor
$ 22.79​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 45.58​
POWER STOP​
JBR1745EVCRotor
$ 50.79​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 101.58​
Discount​
$ -10.89​
Shipping​
Ground
$ 41.98​
Tax​
$ 19.16​
Order Total
$ 267.99

Thanks everyone! I’ll definitely use rock auto. I think I’ll choose a powerstop package with different pads vs the element3. I want to stick with ceramic pads (I read that oem are ceramic).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I’ll definitely use rock auto. I think I’ll choose a powerstop package with different pads vs the element3. I want to stick with ceramic pads (I read that oem are ceramic).
I ordered some stuff from Rock Auto not too long ago. After a bit they send you a 5% discount code. Anyone can use it but they do expire after a bit. Here's the code I got and it's good through 12/20/2020.

Code: 15497388656079894

I ordered some stuff from Rock Auto not too long ago. After a bit they send you a 5% discount code. Anyone can use it but they do expire after a bit. Here's the code I got and it's good through 12/20/2020.

Code: 15497388656079894
I just did a google search for coupon codes and got one from a place like retailmenot or something. You have to enter it into the "comments" field, it doesn't say coupon or promotion, but is immediately applied to the total.

So I have the CarQuest Platinum Painted Rotors from Advanced Auto Parts (use the 25% coupon) and the Akebono ACT Ceramics for the fronts only.

Here's my take:

OEM
  • Have a little more bite to them overall
  • Have much better bite in wet conditions compared to the Akebono's.
Akebono ACT
  • Less dusting for sure.
  • Quieter I guess? I mean I didn't really notice much noise from the OEMs either so it's not an improvement IMO
Can't really say I'm a huge fan of the Akebono's but they're not bad. I think for my next set, I'll either try out the Raybesto Element3's as mentioned in this thread or go back to OEMs.

So I have the CarQuest Platinum Painted Rotors from Advanced Auto Parts (use the 25% coupon) and the Akebono ACT Ceramics for the fronts only.

Here's my take:

OEM
  • Have a little more bite to them overall
  • Have much better bite in wet conditions compared to the Akebono's.
Akebono ACT
  • Less dusting for sure.
  • Quieter I guess? I mean I didn't really notice much noise from the OEMs either so it's not an improvement IMO
Can't really say I'm a huge fan of the Akebono's but they're not bad. I think for my next set, I'll either try out the Raybesto Element3's as mentioned in this thread or go back to OEMs.
On my previous car, I installed (pricey, locally purchased) Akebono ceramic pads front and rear and was not impressed at all.The Akebono made factory Mazda pads were ok but I felt they could have been better.This summer I put Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pads on the front and they are a lot better.Since the rotors were in excellent shape (parallelism,thickness,surface finish),I just wiped them down with brake cleaner and could not believe how well the new pads gripped the rotor just backing out of the driveway.Subsequent braking from then on was pretty good with out any feeling that they had to burnish in to the rotors,they just worked.
My takeaway from this is:
1) The Element 3 pads gave back that feeling of grip that semi-metallic pads have and they modulate better.Maybe because they are a 'hybrid' of semi and ceramic.
2) the pads cost about $36 and included stainless steel pad guides and squealer clips.The best online prices for OEM Mazda pads and the separately sold hardware kit was about $100.See no reason to go back to Mazda pads.
3) Can't see what is so great about Akebono ceramic pads.Years ago I had a Toyota Celica with Akebono semi-metallic pads and they were great.Not the ceramics in my experience.
4) and if the Element 3 pads wear faster,it gives an opportunity to lube the caliper pins sooner.The OEM's lasted 6 years and still had some miles to go.

I ended up buying the powerstop kit for front and back (rotors/pads). At 105k I feel some pulsating in the pedal even though the wife can’t tell so I am replacing rotors. These rotors are coated which should help with the road salt. Everything should be installed this weekend.

On my previous car, I installed (pricey, locally purchased) Akebono ceramic pads front and rear and was not impressed at all.The Akebono made factory Mazda pads were ok but I felt they could have been better.This summer I put Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pads on the front and they are a lot better.Since the rotors were in excellent shape (parallelism,thickness,surface finish),I just wiped them down with brake cleaner and could not believe how well the new pads gripped the rotor just backing out of the driveway.Subsequent braking from then on was pretty good with out any feeling that they had to burnish in to the rotors,they just worked.
My takeaway from this is:
1) The Element 3 pads gave back that feeling of grip that semi-metallic pads have and they modulate better.Maybe because they are a 'hybrid' of semi and ceramic.
2) the pads cost about $36 and included stainless steel pad guides and squealer clips.The best online prices for OEM Mazda pads and the separately sold hardware kit was about $100.See no reason to go back to Mazda pads.
3) Can't see what is so great about Akebono ceramic pads.Years ago I had a Toyota Celica with Akebono semi-metallic pads and they were great.Not the ceramics in my experience.
4) and if the Element 3 pads wear faster,it gives an opportunity to lube the caliper pins sooner.The OEM's lasted 6 years and still had some miles to go.

You hit the nail on the head with this post. The Element 3' appear to be GG rated pads (front/rear) so maybe that's why they grip nicely as well as being hybrids. I agree that the OEM's are probably not worth the $100 it cost for just a front or rear set though.

I'm not sure why the Akebono's are so highly rated as well. I was doing my research and stumbled upon these pads since almost every single forum I've encountered had nothing but good reviews to say about them so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try but it definitely felt like a downgrade.

Maybe one nice thing I can say about the Akebono's is that there isn't a bedding in process required. Based on the ratings on this website, it appears that the Element 3's have the highest stopping power as well.

https://www.buybrakes.com/mazda-cx-5-2016/brake-pads

Just wondering though, how is the performance compared to the OEM's in wet conditions?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned): Appear to be "FF" rated.
Akebono ACT 1846 (Rear): Appear to be "GG" rated

Attachments

• 1606246355084.png
    1606246355084.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 1606246529269.png
    1606246529269.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 173
Maybe my OEM pads sucked for the ‘13 model year, but Akebono was a step up in all regards for me lol. YMMV

I ended up buying the powerstop kit for front and back (rotors/pads). At 105k I feel some pulsating in the pedal even though the wife can’t tell so I am replacing rotors. These rotors are coated which should help with the road salt. Everything should be installed this weekend.
Just wondering, have you lubricated your sliding pins with silicone grease? Could be the reason why you're having the pulsating feeling or it could be warped rotors.

Maybe my OEM pads sucked for the ‘13 model year, but Akebono was a step up in all regards for me lol. YMMV
I took a look at a Mazda parts site and it looks like the '13 and '16 have the same exact model # (K0Y1-33-28ZA) for the brake pads. Not sure but I guess maybe I'm expecting too much :D

Back