2017-18 LED headlights always on?

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
I recently purchased a 2017 CX5 GT and I use the Auto setting on the headlights, but during the day the headlights are on as well as the DRLs. I've seen other CX5s on the road and they seem to also have the headlights on as well. Is this intended? When I flick the switch to ON from Auto, it appears the headlights get brighter (seeing the reflection from the car in front of me).

Intentional, yes. My understanding is that in DRL mode, the headlights are only partially lit, not fully lit like when you turn it to the ON position.

This is normal headlight behavior for the 17+ CX-5. You can, however, force them to be off by following a semi-tricky set of steps. Just search the forum - there's a PDF that outlines the steps. I had my dealer do it for me (no charge) as I simply didn't have the patience.

I read through some of the pages on this post (don't have a lot of time today)
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859785-2017-CX-5-drl-question/page27

and it appears that various localization of the car have a lot of different features which was new to me. I live in the USA and it appears that the bulb/connectors for the accent strip are connected with the headlight, so there doesn't seem to be a way of turning off the headlight without disabling the entire DRL accent strip which I don't want to do. It would have been nice for Mazda to offer the option in the infotainment screen to turn it off, I think they let you change the intensity but it's only low to high (i could be wrong here but I thought I saw this as an option in the car settings). Either way, not a big deal to me. LED headlights will last a lot longer than regular halogens anyway but I like the look of them off during the day much better. I see you can turn off the headlamp by turning on sidelights but the car has an auto light on feature and I'd like to leave it on that setting, plus I don't want my parking ambers on while I'm driving. Thanks for the info though

I read through some of the pages on this post (don't have a lot of time today)
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859785-2017-CX-5-drl-question/page27

and it appears that various localization of the car have a lot of different features which was new to me. I live in the USA and it appears that the bulb/connectors for the accent strip are connected with the headlight, so there doesn't seem to be a way of turning off the headlight without disabling the entire DRL accent strip which I don't want to do. It would have been nice for Mazda to offer the option in the infotainment screen to turn it off, I think they let you change the intensity but it's only low to high (i could be wrong here but I thought I saw this as an option in the car settings). Either way, not a big deal to me. LED headlights will last a lot longer than regular halogens anyway but I like the look of them off during the day much better. I see you can turn off the headlamp by turning on sidelights but the car has an auto light on feature and I'd like to leave it on that setting, plus I don't want my parking ambers on while I'm driving. Thanks for the info though
Don't assume that. See how many 2016 CX-5's with Tech have failed LED DRLs including mine after a year or 2:

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

And they're very expensive to replace!

If I had a 2nd-gen CX-5 I'd definitely turn DRLs with headlight off although I really like to keep only the accent signature LEDs on in DRL mode like the 2016 CX-5.

I recently purchased a 2017 CX5 GT and I use the Auto setting on the headlights, but during the day the headlights are on as well as the DRLs. I've seen other CX5s on the road and they seem to also have the headlights on as well. Is this intended? When I flick the switch to ON from Auto, it appears the headlights get brighter (seeing the reflection from the car in front of me).

USA/Canada feature only.

Elsewhere it's a different set up. See this post below including image:

Yeah, it looks like the Aussie's have an inboard DRL that is not on US spec cars that looks like it is on all the time when driving. But at least it's not the headlights.

attachment.php

Don't assume that. See how many 2016 CX-5's with Tech have failed LED DRLs including mine after a year or 2:

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

And they're very expensive to replace!

If I had a 2nd-gen CX-5 I'd definitely turn DRLs with headlight off although I really like to keep only the accent signature LEDs on in DRL mode like the 2016 CX-5.

curious to know if that was covered under warranty, and if so how long is it covered for in the event the DRLs were to fade

curious to know if that was covered under warranty, and if so how long is it covered for in the event the DRLs were to fade
LED accent DRLs on 2016 CX-5 with Tech (LED headlights are not on in DRL setup for 2016) are covered under 3-year/36,000-mile new car warranty. Thats why I have an appointment set up on 3/8 before my warranty soon expires. $1,000+ per headlight is not cheap. I just hope the latest J version has truly fixed the problem after 5 revisions!

i have the same question about the headlight being on with the drl. I guess its a feature of the lights being led vs hid that i have in my 6.

i have the same question about the headlight being on with the drl. I guess its a feature of the lights being led vs hid that i have in my 6.
Not necesssary. All 2016(.5) CX-5's with Tech Package have LED headlights off only with Signature accent LEDs on serving as DRLs.

Not necesssary. All 2016(.5) CX-5's with Tech Package have LED headlights off only with Signature accent LEDs on serving as DRLs.

Does anyone know how to make the 17s run that way?
The headlight/drls are way too bright for my liking. Just the accents would be perfect.

Back