2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

Thats true. But I really want something to have no problems in initial 50K miles, and only minor、maintenance and wear-out items for the rest of service life. My 1998 Honda CR-V with 180,335 miles is just like that! I know newer vehicles are different and much more complex which is hard to keep it totally trouble-free. But the use of one screw to hold the sunvisor instead of using two by everybody else definitely is a design flaw and too much of the cost-cutting which has nothing to do with new car complexity.

Do you have CVT on your QX? Nissans CVT does have bad reputation. But when people are criticizing the reliability of all CVTs, that could be unfounded, especially to modern CVTs. The CVT on Toyota Prius has been very reliable for 30 years and I havent heard anything bad reliability wise about its CVT.

My QX has a 7 speed automatic, and its quite similar to the one in the CX5. I wouldn't have even considered it if it had a CVT.

I agree... a new vehicle should be essentially trouble free up to at least 50k miles.

I do look forward to the day Y moves on.

he may seem like a debbie downer to you and a few others, but once you've been here long enough you'll realize he goes out of his way to collect informative info on the CX5 and present it all to us. whether it be tire options, TSBs or revised part numbers, his contributions are quite helpful... I'll take honesty over fanboy.

he may seem like a debbie downer to you and a few others, but once you've been here long enough you'll realize he goes out of his way to collect informative info on the CX5 and present it all to us. whether it be tire options, TSBs or revised part numbers, his contributions are quite helpful... I'll take honesty over fanboy.

It’s just repetitive droning. The only reason I see his posts is that the reply quotes show even if the user is blocked. Anyway too bad you see it that way. I’m not a FB, this is my first Mazda.

I agree. Full on trolls are easily spotted. Most of us are daily users. Between Y and myself we have 50K miles on our zdas. Thats experience for new buyers. Plus never understood people blocking others. Might as well make a Mazdaloveboygirl.com website and keep drooling.

I only harp on Nissan CVT's as being unreliable. The others I just call them what they are: boring. Regardless of if they are reliable or not.

As for a sun visor. BFD. That has no bearing on the longevity of the car. Stupid design decision? Yeah probably. Somehow an indication on the longevity of the important pieces? No. I mean really..."my sun visor broke, therefore CX-5 is unreliable". Give me a break.

I think Y52's post was not specifically that. I think what he meant to say was Mazda trying to shave off a few cents by not putting the 2nd. screw means perhaps in areas where we can't see today there's a lot more of these few cent savings. At the end - it'll affect the durability in the long run. Essentially - you go to McD and find they purposely give you just 3 napkins whereas in another McD the napkins are outside - grab as many. The general feeling I'll (at least) get for the 1st. McD "what a cheepo".

Honestly, I have not had a single car in the past that the sun visor has not at some point either broken outright or at least had some sort of problem. My parents had a 2008 Hyundai Elantra they bought new (totalled in maybe 2012?ish) and the driver side sun visor made horrible creaking noises. To me it's just a wear item, you constantly flip it around and some people slam it really hard. Not saying Yrwei does this, but I mean, of all things to harp on. It happens. It's not a Mazda thing. Sun visors break. Often a user caused breakage, but even when not, it's just the nature of a sun visor.

I agree Yrwei posts lot's of helpful information as well. I wouldn't call him a troll. I just feel some things are a bit of a stretch when it comes to the negativity. Sun visor being an example.

I think Y52's post was not specifically that. I think what he meant to say was Mazda trying to shave off a few cents by not putting the 2nd. screw means perhaps in areas where we can't see today there's a lot more of these few cent savings. At the end - it'll affect the durability in the long run.

I mean, I get that I suppose, but I wouldn't necessarily correlate it to the bigger parts of the car.

I don't like that the CX-5 (and all other "CUVs") say AWD on them but still get stuck in the sand. It's more like ?WD because you never know which wheel is going to lose power and keep you from moving forward.

I know that means jack sht to most owners, but some of us need to be able to drive through deep sand and mud, and there are only a few vehicles that can handle that. 4runner, Wrangler and some pick-up trucks are all that's on the menu. Mazda offers nothing for us U.S. buyers.

I don't like that the CX-5 (and all other "CUVs") say AWD on them but still get stuck in the sand. It's more like ?WD because you never know which wheel is going to lose power and keep you from moving forward.

I know that means jack sht to most owners, but some of us need to be able to drive through deep sand and mud, and there are only a few vehicles that can handle that. 4runner, Wrangler and some pick-up trucks are all that's on the menu. Mazda offers nothing for us U.S. buyers.

I mean, is a CUV really marketed as an off road vehicle? I mean, I've never seen a true 4WD like a Jeep and AWD CUV's in the same space.

Edit: That said, you are right about the AWD moniker. Some cars have it on all the time, others like our CX-5 shift into it as needed, etc.

Last edited:
My point exactly. Not even the same category, but there's the AWD badges and advertisements, in case you hit a quarter inch of snow I guess.

My point exactly. Not even the same category, but there's the AWD badges and advertisements, in case you hit a quarter inch of snow I guess.

I think that's exactly why they use the badge. ;)

There's a reason Colorado is infested with AWD Subarus as long as I can remember going back to being a kid. Everybody had one.

Seems like a FWD Mazda6 can go anywhere a CX-5 does, but corner better, get better mileage, ride better, have more acceleration, less wind noise at speed, not shaped like a tennis shoe, etc etc etc.

Seems like a FWD Mazda6 can go anywhere a CX-5 does, but corner better, get better mileage, ride better, have more acceleration, less wind noise at speed, not shaped like a tennis shoe, etc etc etc.

Owning both...the glaring difference is the Mazda6 has blind spots galore. Front and back......but the stylish looks, backup cam, and BSM makes up for it. Sort of like a FWD 4-door Camaro.

Its just repetitive droning. The only reason I see his posts is that the reply quotes show even if the user is blocked. Anyway too bad you see it that way. Im not a FB, this is my first Mazda.

I wasn't necessarily calling you a fanboy. Simply implying I prefer honesty and unbiased opinions.

Some folks here think a ding or criticism of Mazda or their CX5 as heresy.

And to be honest, one night I kinda lashed out at yrwei52 when he wouldn't shut the hell up about the 2016 CX9 front seat. Then when he responded he kept his cool instead of replying in kind. He's a nice guy, and will admit he gets hung up on little things sometimes.

I'd reconsider blocking him (never really understood the need to do that myself). Worst case you just scroll past his posts.

I wasn't necessarily calling you a fanboy. Simply implying I prefer honesty and unbiased opinions.

Some folks here think a ding or criticism of Mazda or their CX5 as heresy.

And to be honest, one night I kinda lashed out at yrwei52 when he wouldn't shut the hell up about the 2016 CX9 front seat. Then when he responded he kept his cool instead of replying in kind. He's a nice guy, and will admit he gets hung up on little things sometimes.

I'd reconsider blocking him (never really understood the need to do that myself). Worst case you just scroll past his posts.

I will consider that across the board then.

Honestly, I have not had a single car in the past that the sun visor has not at some point either broken outright or at least had some sort of problem. My parents had a 2008 Hyundai Elantra they bought new (totalled in maybe 2012?ish) and the driver side sun visor made horrible creaking noises. To me it's just a wear item, you constantly flip it around and some people slam it really hard. Not saying Yrwei does this, but I mean, of all things to harp on. It happens. It's not a Mazda thing. Sun visors break. Often a user caused breakage, but even when not, it's just the nature of a sun visor.

I agree Yrwei posts lot's of helpful information as well. I wouldn't call him a troll. I just feel some things are a bit of a stretch when it comes to the negativity. Sun visor being an example.
if the sun visor fallen off on my 1998、180,372-mile Honda CR-V, I definitely wouldnt complain. But our CX-5 is less than 3 years old with only 24,261 miles! Mazda tried to save some pennies to eliminate one screw on sun visor which supposed to have two, and they have to apply a little more torque to that screw to hold the visor tight, but ended up the weight-saving thin roof sheet metal cant hold the screw and stripped after a short period of time. Ride92s experience could be related as the bolt for his rear hatch may also screwed into the thin roof sheet metal. I always believe a straw shows which way the wind blows. Thiss especially true for Japanese culture because theyre famous to pay attention to small areas. If Mazda doesnt pay attention to certain small areas, who knows what else theyd try to squeeze sacrificing the long-term reliability.

It could be that the rear hatch isn't aligned properly. I had an issue where the bolts that hold the hinges on for the rear hatch where actually stripped out and caused the hatch to fall out of alignment.
Much better
CX-5
36000 miles
Broken center console latch - twice
Broken sunvisor latch - twice
All covered under warranty - guess i must have a heavy hand ;-)

Not so much. Ground clearance and lack of awd kill that.

I think Y52's post was not specifically that. I think what he meant to say was Mazda trying to shave off a few cents by not putting the 2nd. screw means perhaps in areas where we can't see today there's a lot more of these few cent savings. At the end - it'll affect the durability in the long run. Essentially - you go to McD and find they purposely give you just 3 napkins whereas in another McD the napkins are outside - grab as many. The general feeling I'll (at least) get for the 1st. McD "what a cheepo".
Yep, you said it correctly. Thanks!

Appreciate your post! And Im glad you still hanging around here although you no longer have a CX-5. You do know Mazda did put a true 8-way drivers seat back in 2017 CX-9, right? I feel Mazda North American Operations do listen sometimes, as also evidenced by adding dial control on center dash vents and one-touch auto power windows on non-driver doors to 2018 CX-5!

Back