2016 CX-9 Sport - Tires/Vibrations

MACscr

2016 CX-9 Sport
New Mazda user and realized when I thought I posted this question here, it was actually another forum site that probably has a bit less CX-9 users, etc, than here. Oops.

So I just bought a 2016 CX-9 Sport with 74k miles yesterday and unfortunately it had 3 different brand tires on it and the two newest ones that actually match are Westlake (not great tires). On the way home from the dealer, I was driving about 80 MPH on the interstate and noticed significant vibrations that I could really feel in my legs and butt and felt like it was coming from the rear of the car. Oddly it wasn't a constant vibration, but something you could notice go in and out every 1 second or so. I didn't notice it 60mph and lower. Even though the west lake tires are brand new, I am replacing all 4 tires with the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (255/60/R18), which obviously in the process of the install, they are balanced. Hoping solves it. Wondering if i should spring for an alignment while they are at it. I hate to replace tires with plenty of tread left, but I know running 3 different tires isn't a good thing to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I did have a Mazda dealership check out the car before i bought it from a third party dealership, but was only a 30 minute inspection. They did point out the tire differences and a couple other small issues. You can actually see the video here from the mazda tech: 50472. I already have a new screen cover for the infotainment on the way too.

New Mazda user and realized when I thought I posted this question here, it was actually another forum site that probably has a bit less CX-9 users, etc, than here. Oops.

So I just bought a 2016 CX-9 Sport with 74k miles yesterday and unfortunately it had 3 different brand tires on it and the two newest ones that actually match are Westlake (not great tires). On the way home from the dealer, I was driving about 80 MPH on the interstate and noticed significant vibrations that I could really feel in my legs and butt and felt like it was coming from the rear of the car. Oddly it wasn't a constant vibration, but something you could notice go in and out every 1 second or so. I didn't notice it 60mph and lower. Even though the west lake tires are brand new, I am replacing all 4 tires with the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (255/60/R18), which obviously in the process of the install, they are balanced. Hoping solves it. Wondering if i should spring for an alignment while they are at it. I hate to replace tires with plenty of tread left, but I know running 3 different tires isn't a good thing to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I did have a Mazda dealership check out the car before i bought it from a third party dealership, but was only a 30 minute inspection. They did point out the tire differences and a couple other small issues. You can actually see the video here from the mazda tech: 50472. I already have a new screen cover for the infotainment on the way too.
Absolutely replace all four. I didn't... and now have substantial problems because of it (see my thread). Some Discount Tire stores (in case you are buying from them) offer free alignment check. Is the vehicle FWD or AWD? Make sure they use hunter roadforce elite balancer - you can check the locations on the hunter website, under "products" - "locate equipment".

Absolutely replace all four. I didn't... and now have substantial problems because of it (see my thread). Some Discount Tire stores (in case you are buying from them) offer free alignment check. Is the vehicle FWD or AWD? Make sure they use hunter roadforce elite balancer - you can check the locations on the hunter website, under "products" - "locate equipment".
Thanks. They didn't offer free alignment if I bought the tires from them and they were about $75 more a piece for a lesser quality tire, so I am buying them from a third party and then just paying $30 each to mount/balance and then $129 for an alignment. It is indeed FWD, so not as critical if i was AWD, but still important. I will check on the Hunter equipment. Thanks for the tips!

they were about $75 more a piece for a lesser quality tire
I'm really surprised you were able to find tires somewhere for 75 bucks less than DT, usually they are pretty competitive with the pricing... Also, $30/tire for installation is A LOT. My Mazda dealer does it for $25. And Pep Boys do it for about $16/ea, I believe. Only some (not all) DT stores offer free alignment CHECK (the alignment itself is $89), but you would have to go into "store details" - "services offered" to figure out if they offer it or not. As for the balancers - I would try to find the Elite one. Most DT locations have it, Firestone has it, some Pep boys locations... most if not all Mazda dealerships.

I'm really surprised you were able to find tires somewhere for 75 bucks less than DT, usually they are pretty competitive with the pricing... Also, $30/tire for installation is A LOT. My Mazda dealer does it for $25. And Pep Boys do it for about $16/ea, I believe. Only some (not all) DT stores offer free alignment CHECK (the alignment itself is $89), but you would have to go into "store details" - "services offered" to figure out if they offer it or not. As for the balancers - I would try to find the Elite one. Most DT locations have it, Firestone has it, some Pep boys locations... most if not all Mazda dealerships.
I was referred to a Tuffy thats not to far away based on recommendations from a few people I trust that worked in the car industry where they know the manager, etc. The guy I spoke to though quoted/recommended some Nexen tires and the alignment for like $1200 total. I just bought the 4 Pirellis for $780 after taxes/shipping. Wasn't too impressed with some other places i called around as well.

About alignment...look at the wear on the tire tread. There are lots of guides on the internet. If the fronts are worn more on the inside edge, or the outside edge, alignment is needed. Or uneven wear on the rears. Or the car pulls to one side on a flat level road. Otherwise alignment is likely a waste of money. If it needs alignment, demand that it be set in the center of the allowable range, not just anywhere in the range. Vibration isn't caused by misalignment. Vibration is caused by worn or damaged suspension parts, or tire imbalance, or tire eccentricity, or wheel damage, or tire road force variation (one section stiffer than another section of the same tire).

So I now have appointment at the Mazda dealership too that has the Elite balancer. Not sure which place I should go to. Tuffy will probably be much cheaper for additional work and diagnostic if it’s needed if the issue continues after the new tires. The issue with not being a constant vibration and happening about every second (you kind of feel a lull in between) is what is a bit perplexing to me at the higher speeds. I’m no mechanic though.

Last edited:
Always be sure the service writer puts down on the work order what the problem is, not just his guess on what is to be done. If the problem is written on the work order, and it's not fixed, don't pay. You didn't ask for a certain procedure, you asked for your problem to be fixed. No fix, no pay.

Always be sure the service writer puts down on the work order what the problem is, not just his guess on what is to be done. If the problem is written on the work order, and it's not fixed, don't pay. You didn't ask for a certain procedure, you asked for your problem to be fixed. No fix, no pay.
True, but right now I’m just paying for a tire mount and balance and possibly an alignment. Would have to pay $200 just for a diagnostics at the dealer

True, but right now I’m just paying for a tire mount and balance and possibly an alignment. Would have to pay $200 just for a diagnostics at the dealer
I would ask the dealer to mount and balance them on the Elite balancer, but also when the service advisor will be writing the order mention to him that you've been experiencing some weird vibrations so if they could take a quick look at the suspension while they are doing the mounting/balancing to make sure there are no obvious problems with bearings, tie rods, CV shafts etc. that would be much appreciated. Would make sense to look at the rims as well just to make sure there's no damage... Do that and see what they respond. A decent dealership/tech should do a quick inspection for you for free... but maybe I'm just spoiled by my dealer, who knows...

I personally like to do an alignment when putting new tires. It protects your investment in those tires. Nothing worse than putting four new tires to notice a year later that one of them is worn oit because of the alignment. Especially if you just bought the car and the previous tires were new you wouldn’t see the signs of a bad alignment. Also, the CX-9 has a tendency to not show signs of bad alignment in the rear (you wouldn’t feel it).

For peace of mind i would get it aligned.

Woo hoo! Just got back from the mazda dealership and having the wheels replaced with the Scorpion Zeros and the Alignment done (it was only slight off in the rear left), the vibration at higher speeds is completely gone. Only cost me $1100, lol. Will see what i can sell the old tires for. The Westlakes are pretty much brand new.

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. Hopefully the new tires will solve my vibration problems as well…. I’m still deciding between Pirellis and Goodyears…

Glad it worked out. FYI, I haven't met a car expert yet that won't recommend a wheel alignment when you get new tires. Especially with todays tire prices, its a small price to pay.

Back