2021 CX-9 Wheel size confusion

Greetings!
owner of a 2021 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD.
I’m in the market for new tires and have been doing a lot research on the size and decided to go with 275/45 tires thinking that my CX-9 had 8.5” wide rims like so many here have stated, but today when I finally looked at the door jamb sticker it says 20 x 8.…I’m really confused now as to what the actual wheel size is. Should I get it measured? trust the internet that it is actually 8.5” or trust the sticker on the door?
anyone help me out with what the actual size is for a ’21 CX9 GT…
I’m in the US if that helps.

thanks!

Last edited:
My 2016 sticker shows 20X8 1/2J. I think the 1/2J is spaced a bit far from the 20X8 that I almost missed it.

Any particular reason why you want to up the width? Personally I think it'll have a bulgey look and lower your fuel efficiency. But that's just me.

My 2016 sticker shows 20X8 1/2J. I think the 1/2J is spaced a bit far from the 20X8 that I almost missed it.

Any particular reason why you want to up the width? Personally I think it'll have a bulgey look and lower your fuel efficiency. But that's just me.
Oh duh ok now I see it too! Thanks for pointing that out!

I like the look of wider tires and also plan to get some 20x9 wheels in a year so since I need tires now I figured I’d go with 275s 😋…the tires are going to be the same weight as the stock but hoping it won’t have a huge impact on mpg for the time being. And then once I get the new wheels I’ll move the tires over to those and get rid of the bulge…

Every source I've seen indicates your wheel size should be 8.5 width. Since your door jam indicates 8.0, I'd have them measured to confirm. Either way a 275 tire is way too wide for an 8 or 8.5 rim according to most tire/wheel charts. Most sources appear to recommend a 9.5 size wheel for a 275 tire. I'm running 275s on my other vehicle (BMW) but on 10 inch wheels.

Every source I've seen indicates your wheel size should be 8.5 width. Since your door jam indicates 8.0, I'd have them measured to confirm. Either way a 275 tire is way too wide for an 8 or 8.5 rim according to most tire/wheel charts. Most sources appear to recommend a 9.5 size wheel for a 275 tire. I'm running 275s on my other vehicle (BMW) but on 10 inch wheels.
thanks! Yup 275 measuring rim is 9” but pirellis rim range is 8.5-10 so I’m going off of that. But I’ll be getting wider rims next year anyways, I have to get tires now. Down to 5/32 and don’t want to risk it through winter. love the look of those wider tires on bimmers!

thanks! Yup 275 measuring rim is 9” but pirellis rim range is 8.5-10 so I’m going off of that. But I’ll be getting wider rims next year anyways, I have to get tires now. Down to 5/32 and don’t want to risk it through winter. love the look of those wider tires on bimmers!
I just put a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/S 3 on our CX9. Very happy with performance.

Back