2016 CX-9 Signature leaking coolant

:
Mazda 2 touring
Hey guys,

This weekend the CX-9 started leaking and burning coolant. I took a look at the engine bay and I couldn’t find a leak around the any of the hoses. However, it seems to be leaking from the firewall side. I’ve made an appointment with the dealer, for this coming Saturday. I’ve been reading through the forum and this seems to be a problem, that is affecting the 2016 model years.

I’ll update as I learn more.

2016 signature
39,000 miles

Solution
Hey guys,

So I dropped off the CX9 today and this is a known issue (2016 model years). The service assistant confirmed this, even before I took in the car. Once the car was inspected, they determined a new engine would be required. However, they are in back order and I’ll get more information on Monday. I’ll try to get photos of the engine and more details if possible.

I think my build date is March or April 2016.
oh man I'm now hesitate to keep this car pass the powertrain warranty or get the extended warranty but that only covers until 100k miles. 2019 at 38k miles now.

Upvote 0
Update (4/12/21): The service manager thought they found the leak in a “hose pipe” in the rear of the engine. However they were not confident enough to submit that information to the warranty company so they are now taking the vehicle apart in the area of the leak to further determine the source. The service manager said he hasn’t seen a problem this complicated in a very long time. They still cannot get me a loaner/rental car, so tomorrow will be day 4 of no car.

Upvote 0
Dealership finally found the source of the problem which is a crack in the cylinder, meaning engine replacement. Service department has been in contact with the warranty company and are getting an inspector out tomorrow to determine whether it is covered under warranty. The service manager told us the policy only covers part of the cylinder; which doesn’t make any sense to us, if it is a nearly full coverage “premium” warranty, shouldn’t the entire thing be covered?

Upvote 0
Dealership finally found the source of the problem which is a crack in the cylinder, meaning engine replacement. Service department has been in contact with the warranty company and are getting an inspector out tomorrow to determine whether it is covered under warranty. The service manager told us the policy only covers part of the cylinder; which doesn’t make any sense to us, if it is a nearly full coverage “premium” warranty, shouldn’t the entire thing be covered?

Sounds like pain in the ass you're going through. Which warranty did you get?

Upvote 0
I just got word that Mazda is covering engine replacement. Thought the 68, 000 miles on the clock might be an issue. They will have a loaner for me soon. My extended warranty? They were only going to cover if caused by failed internal components....right.

If I ever do an extended warranty again, it will have to be a factory extended warranty....If there is such a thing. The rest of them are crooks.

Glad to see Mazda step up on this one. Love this car and I will not be getting rid of it...Although I am curious about the six cylinder Mazda is developing...Hope it comes out in an suv!

Upvote 0
We received a rental car for 2 days, the dealer told us it needed to be returned because the warranty company was behind on claims and it would be a few days before a ruling would be made, which doesnt make sense, why would the rental need to be returned? We are now meeting with the service manager and the general manager at the dealer monday morning to sort this mess out.

Upvote 0
Someone needs to pay for the rental car every day it's out. If the warranty company hasn't agreed to pay for it, it must be either returned or you pay.

If you bought that 3rd party extended warranty from the dealership, be firm with the dealership standing behind the product they sold you. If you didn't buy it from the shop that's doing the repairs, good luck.

Upvote 0
Someone needs to pay for the rental car every day it's out. If the warranty company hasn't agreed to pay for it, it must be either returned or you pay.

If you bought that 3rd party extended warranty from the dealership, be firm with the dealership standing behind the product they sold you. If you didn't buy it from the shop that's doing the repairs, good luck.
The warranty did pay for the 2 days while the inspector was supposed to come. Luckily we are at the dealer the car was purchased and where normal service is done. We are hoping for the best at this point!

Upvote 0
Just found out that Mazda will be covering the engine replacement parts and dealer will be covering labor. Our extended warranty decided not to cover it. Should have the car back in 7-10 days, hopefully!
Unsure if I would be happy or sad if I were you. What's the point of the warranty if they are not covering anything?? But great to hear mazda and dealership stepped up!!

Upvote 0
Just found out that Mazda will be covering the engine replacement parts and dealer will be covering labor. Our extended warranty decided not to cover it. Should have the car back in 7-10 days, hopefully!

Crazy that the 3rd party extended warranty wouldn't cover this, though not totally unexpected. Hopefully you can put this whole experience behind you once you get your car back!

Are you stuck without a car in the meantime?

Upvote 0
Crazy that the 3rd party extended warranty wouldn't cover this, though not totally unexpected. Hopefully you can put this whole experience behind you once you get your car back!

Are you stuck without a car in the meantime?
yes/no. I do not have a car myself, however we are all just splitting the other cars in the household Till this one is fixed. It was either the dealer cover labor or get us a rental car, we would much prefer them to cover labor which would have been $3,300. At this point I’m just glad that the replacment is happening and will be done hopefully next week sometime.

Upvote 0
Two weeks in and dealer provided loaner Friday. He stated he didnt know when the replacement engine would be in....should be anytime now. After talking with him in person Friday, i am not so sure they have the coolant leak root cause pinned down. He said cracked head this time and a little coolant at freeze plug....I dont think they will know untill they actually pull the engine. Bottom line is i am thrilled they are replacing it, but want to be reassured it cannot happen again...

Upvote 0
Two weeks in and dealer provided loaner Friday. He stated he didnt know when the replacement engine would be in....should be anytime now. After talking with him in person Friday, i am not so sure they have the coolant leak root cause pinned down. He said cracked head this time and a little coolant at freeze plug....I dont think they will know untill they actually pull the engine. Bottom line is i am thrilled they are replacing it, but want to be reassured it cannot happen again...
@highfivezoom So you are out of normal warranty, but Mazda is still covering all the costs to replace the engine?

Upvote 0
Yes, 68,000 miles and Mazda is covering all of it but $250.
That's great they're covering it out of warranty! I hope this is a very rare problem, but I'm hopeful if this would happen to me and others they would cover it, even though I'm out of warranty. Currently have a 2017 GT with about 40k miles on it with no issues so far.

Upvote 0
That's great they're covering it out of warranty! I hope this is a very rare problem, but I'm hopeful if this would happen to me and others they would cover it, even though I'm out of warranty. Currently have a 2017 GT with about 40k miles on it with no issues so far.

I think it should fall into the powertrain warranty which is 5 years/60k miles. I do hope that this is not going to be common though more cases popping up.

Upvote 0
My 2016 CX-9 GT has been sitting at the dealership for 4 weeks now. The dealership is trying to “work something out” for a loaner car, which they do not typically do. We felt we ok without the car for 7-10 days like originally estimated, however it has been over 2 weeks since that estimate was given and now going on 4 weeks, not having a car full time has become a huge burden. We live 15 mins (driving down country roads) from the nearest grocery store, nothing delivers where we live, not having a car full time is a major issue. The dealer has been waiting for the new engine to arrive for over 14 days. We are hoping something can be worked out with getting a loaner car at this point.

Upvote 0
Back