2016 CX-9 Rear Brakes and Rotors

dannmann777

:
Mazda CX-9
We just took our 2016 CX-9 Touring to the dealer for 30k mile maintenance and the dealer is saying that our rear brakes and rotors need to be replaced.
I can see the brake pads wearing out, but the OEM rotors at less than 30K miles? We do quite a bit of highway driving with the car so this seems a bit odd.
The front rotors are being replaced as a part of a TSB.

Anybody else with a 2016+ CX-9 have significant rear rotor wear as well?

Rotors shouldn't need to be replaced unless you caught some rocks that caused some scoring. Even then, they should only need to be replaced if the scoring is so deep that they cant turn the rotors down.

Ask them to show you the rotors and explain why they need to be replaced.

Not sure on the exact TSB. I'm just going by what the dealer told me. They had to replace the front brakes and rotors as a part of the TSB.
The rear brakes and rotors are not part of the TSB.

There was also a TSB for the rear right shock.

Not sure on the exact TSB. I'm just going by what the dealer told me. They had to replace the front brakes and rotors as a part of the TSB.
The rear brakes and rotors are not part of the TSB.

There was also a TSB for the rear right shock.
Could you ask your dealer for the TSB number they're referencing? I'd like to bring this up during my first service visit

Why replace rotors?:
--They are deeply grooved
--They are worn below the minimum thickness, or need resurfacing and would be below minimum after the work
--The mechanic dearly wants to prevent a come-back
--The shop wants the extra sale

Whether to always renew or always resurface the rotors is a matter of belief. Some insist it must be done. Some insist they never do it until absolutely needed. Some will never resurface. Actually...take a good look at them. You can ask the mechanic to measure the thickness. Rotors are a wear part. Some are made so thin that there's not enough material to allow for resurfacing. Making them thinner makes them lighter (good thing) and cheaper to manufacture. Resurfacing does take away some of the mass which makes them somewhat less able to handle extreme heating. So the final answer is..................

Me, I'm...er...thrifty. I renew the rotors when they look like they need it. I'm OK with new pads on good used rotors.

Back