2016 CX-5: Water keeps dripping out of tailgate handle area

:
Mazda CX-5 2106.5
Water keeps dripping out of the tailgate handle area after it rains. Could there be a clog someplace, drain plug that needs to be cleaned out? If so, where should I try to look for it? Couldn’t find anything when I was looking around. Don’t like the idea of water sitting at the bottom of the tailgate, don’t want to promote rust.

1709854557226.png

Has the car had any body work done to the rear? I had a 2013 that was rear ended. The hatch was replaced and they had a helluva time getting the high center stop light sealed properly.

Is this on your 2106.5 CX5? If so, I think the problem is that it hasn't been built yet, so there is actually no water.;)

But seriously, I'd start with pulling the plastics on the interior as Kedis said. Then you can spray water across the hatch area and see where it's coming in.

I removed both of the liftgate drain plugs, that seemed to do the trick! I suspect the rubber dried out a bit over the years and wasn’t as flexible to let the weight of the water run past it. Question is now, should I buy two new grommets to prevent dust and debris to get in there or don’t even bother?

IMG_2697.jpeg

IMG_2698.jpeg

Back