2016 CX-5 Rear Shock Mount

The rear shock mount on my 2016 CX-5 is broken. Took it to the dealer this morning to get it replaced, and they are having trouble locating that part. Service said that there isn't one in stock in North America, and it could be days, weeks, a month until they get the part.

Does that sound right? Any ideas where else they could look to source that part, either on its own or with a new shock absorber? Just can't believe the car will be sitting in the driveway for a month. Thanks for any tips & advice.

The rear shock mount on my 2016 CX-5 is broken. Took it to the dealer this morning to get it replaced, and they are having trouble locating that part. Service said that there isn't one in stock in North America, and it could be days, weeks, a month until they get the part.

Does that sound right? Any ideas where else they could look to source that part, either on its own or with a new shock absorber? Just can't believe the car will be sitting in the driveway for a month. Thanks for any tips & advice.
Worth trying junkyards?

No, it doesn’t sound right at all! Have you got the part number of the “rear shock mount” your dealer was talking about? Can you post a picture of broken rear shock mount?

The “top mount” of rear shock absorbers on gen-1 CX-5 is included in OEM rear shocks, but not included in aftermarket shocks. You won’t be able to get a separate top mount for rear shocks for your 2016 CX-5 from anywhere!

There’re too many versions of OEM rear shocks though. If your 2016 CX-5 is a FWD, the part no. is KR27-28-910H; if you have an AWD, the part no. is KA0G-28-910G.

It surprised me that there’re so many versions of OEM rear shock absorbers on CX-5 for different MY’s and FWD / AWD. On the other hand, KYB listed only 2 for CX-5, 349219 to 5/13/2013 and 3440013 from 5/13/2013 up to 2018 MY.

There were design changes along the years on OEM rear shock absorbers which does get confused. So for OEM rear shocks, the best way is to use VIN with Mazda parts department to get correct p/n for the CX-5.

For OEM rear shock absorbers. #24 in the diagram, here are part numbers for gen-1 CX-5:

View attachment 229025
252C923C-3A3F-4BB7-AFEC-9926A7902C0B.png

KDY5-28-910C Shock absorber for 2013 ~ 2014 Mazda CX-5 to 5/13/13.

KR27-28-910H Shock absorber for 2014 ~ 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 from 5/13/13, Type 2, without AWD.

KD35-28-910K Shock absorber for 2014 ~ 2015 Mazda CX-5 from 5/13/13, Type 1, with AWD.

KA0G-28-910G Shock absorber for 2015 ~ 2016.5 CX-5 from 11/03/2014, with AWD.

For OEM rear shock absorbers and shock top mount, #1 and #4 in the diagram, here are part numbers for gen-2 CX-5:

View attachment 229026
3D82CF90-D5B2-4F6E-AF10-E1050A4449F3.png

KB7W-28-700B Damper rear for 2017 CX-5 to 06/22/2017, with FWD.

KL2F-28-700A Damper rear for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 06/22/2017.

KL2G-28-700A Damper rear for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 06/22/2017.

TK48-28-380C Shock mount for 2017 CX-5 to 10/01/2017.

TK52-28-380C Shock mount for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 10/01/2017.

🙄
🥴
😵
🤬

Just get a pair of OEM rear shocks and replace them by yourself, or by an indie you trust . Don’t go back to that Mazda dealer for any service!

Hi, I'm new here. I am a certified auto technician in Ontario Canada. I'm retired now but still get into repairing autos.
My GF 2015 CX 5 rear shock mount broke. I didn't want to rewplace the entire shock ($390.) Dealer CDN $
I did a lot of on line research & phone calls. Also looked for a used part.
Here is what I did , I used a top shock mount part # DA6A-28-380 from Mazda.
Used on a CX-3 2017.
Was $17 usd plus shipping.
I removed the old broken mount from the body, cut the damper cover at the bottom of the mount, removed the mount from the shock & installed the cx 3 mount to the shock & then to the body. I removed the cut portion of the damper cover from the inside of the old mount & before I installed the new mount I squeezed the upper damper cover into the new mount (not knowing this was only pressed in) I could have removed the cover from the mount without cutting it, but I think it would be difficult to install into the new mount. I used a vise. I applied some Lepage 2 in 1 sealant to hold the shock daamper cover in place.

Attachments

• CX mount.jpg
    CX mount.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 592
  • cx damper.jpg
    cx damper.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 504
  • cx upper.jpg
    cx upper.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 672
Hi, I'm new here. I am a certified auto technician in Ontario Canada. I'm retired now but still get into repairing autos.
My GF 2015 CX 5 rear shock mount broke. I didn't want to rewplace the entire shock ($390.) Dealer CDN $
I did a lot of on line research & phone calls. Also looked for a used part.
Here is what I did , I used a top shock mount part # DA6A-28-380 from Mazda.
Used on a CX 3 2017.
Was $17 usd plus shipping.
I removed the old broken mount from the body, cut the damper cover at the bottom of the mount, removed the mount from the shock & installed the cx 3 mount to the shock & then to the body. I removed the cut portion of the damper cover from the inside of the old mount & before I installed the new mount I squeezed the upper damper cover into the new mount (not knowing this was only pressed in) I could have removed the cover from the mount without cutting it, but I think it would be difficult to install into the new mount. I used a vise. I applied some Lepage 2 in 1 sealant to hold the shock daamper cover in place.
Have you tried the available rear shock top mount, p/n: TK48-28-380C, from Gen-2 CX-5?

The part from the CX-3 worked great!
People have been asking if they can use TK48-28-380C from gen-2 CX-5 to replace their broken rear shock top mount on gen-1 CX-5 but could never get an answer. Since it has different part number than the top mount on CX-3, they have to be different. What’s the reason you chose getting the top mount from CX-3 instead of gen-2 CX-5?

Personally I’d get a pair of OEM real shocks which come with the top mount for my gen-1 CX-5 if mine had broken rear shock top mount. Most likely they’re due for the replacement anyway when the mount is broken. But I keep my car for as long as I can.

I’m still amazed though there’re at least 4 different OEM rear shocks listed only for gen-1 CX-5 (see post #3 above). Be prepared to present the VIN getting correct ones for your MY and FWD / AWD.

I looked on line at the parts diagrams & the CX 3 mount looked similar. So I took a chance & ordered 1. It was perfect fit.
This is why I posted this info to help other cx 5 owners.

I looked on line at the parts diagrams & the CX 3 mount looked similar. So I took a chance & ordered 1. It was perfect fit.
This is why I posted this info to help other cx 5 owners.
So the available rear shock top mount for gen-2 CX-5 shown on the parts diagram looks different from the top mount on gen-1 CX-5?

Again, the question of the top mount replacement has been asked before but nobody could answer, and you’re the first one to post such info. (y) But I feel most who have the need would prefer to get the top mount from gen-2 CX-5, if it actually fits.

Back