2016 CX-5 Blower motor replacement: OEM?

GoodGuyDudu

2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD (Mousse)
Hi everyone.

So at 75 000Kms, my blower motor was squeaking. I took it out to check/clean it. Unfortunately, I dropped the unit and it's now WAY worse, so I need to replace it.

My question is, should I go with OEM or aftermarket?

The used OEM motor comes from a wrecked CX-5 with similar mileage. The aftermarket part is new, but still aftermarket.

I would tend to with OEM, right decision?

If they give refunds for parts that aren't working properly off the yard, then I'd have no problem going with the used blower. However, if they don't do refunds, then I suggest bringing a medium sized portable 12V battery into the yard with you, in order to confirm that the used blower spins well with no noise.

That said, I've never had an issue with any of the non-OEM blowers I've purchased in the past, and have nothing negative to say about that choice either.

I understand people use a cordless tool battery when checking electrical parts at junkyards. For nominal 12v motors I'd think that either 12V or 18/20V would be good for quick check. My experience is that DC motors have quite a bit of headroom voltage wise and 18V would just spin it faster. Cordless tools draw quite a few amps so even a few amp-hr battery should be sufficient for quick check. Seems like a good idea to me but anybody who has experience doing this could chime in with any caveats.

I understand people use a cordless tool battery when checking electrical parts at junkyards. For nominal 12v motors I'd think that either 12V or 18/20V would be good for quick check. My experience is that DC motors have quite a bit of headroom voltage wise and 18V would just spin it faster. Cordless tools draw quite a few amps so even a few amp-hr battery should be sufficient for quick check. Seems like a good idea to me but anybody who has experience doing this could chime in with any caveats.
Thanks for your help!

Great idea, thanks!

Back