2016.5 Suspension issues

rmh613

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT
Hey everyone,

I have a 2016.5 GT AWD with about 18k miles that I generally love (had a '14 Touring before it), but I have been pretty unhappy with some ongoing suspension issues. I asked my dealer to inspect everything at my 15k mile service and told them about these issues, but they found nothing to fix. Just wanted to post these here to see whether any of you have experienced similar issues!

- The front suspension has developed a couple different noises/clunks/annoyances over the last 6-8k miles or so:

1. A mysterious metal-on-metal clanking noise coming from the driver side front suspension that only really happens at low speeds over small, sharp bumps (like expansion joints or cracks in pavement). It seems to be worst in the first few minutes of driving each day and when the front suspension has less load, when weight is shifted more to the back of the car under acceleration.

2. On coarse pavement or any kind of gravel road, the front suspension seems to vibrate and resonate enough that it is making a noticeable buzzing/grinding noise that sounds like its coming from somewhere within the driver-side dashboard/a-pillar area. It is worst when I have a few passengers/more weight in the car.

It seems there's a TSB out there related to front-suspension issues that might apply here, does anyone have experience with that?

3. In general, the interior has developed WAY more creaking/buzzing noises than I would think are acceptable in a near-new $35k car, and way more than were ever present in my 2014 Touring with close to 50k miles. The door seals vibrate against one another causing buzzing noises, there is a weird plastic ticking noise coming from somewhere in the rear passenger side headliner, and SO much rattling coming from the rear cargo area. Additionally, having the music at moderate to loud volume causes a loud vibration inside the driver A-pillar and from the driver door lock/handle area.

All in all, I'm pretty frustrating with what seems like a serious step down in build quality from my '14 to my '16.5, and from no improvement after spending 6+ hours at the dealer. If anyone has any tips on dealing and/or coping with disappointment, that'd be great!

If your Mazda dealer cant get your suspension issues resolved, the best hope is to contact Cusromer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations to express your concerns. If necessary, MNAO can send field engineers checking out problems on your CX-5, and most likely they can fix whatever problems the customers have. My 2016 CX-5 so far has no issues on noise or rattling from suspension and interior. But weve seen some CX-5 owners did report similar issues here.

I had a 2016.5 and put 14000 Miles on it. It made hardly a noise in terms of running gear or interior trim. I wouldnt suspect a reduction in build quality is the answer but I hope you get it sorted out.

Can you try taking it to a different dealer to have it inspected?

Yeah, the dealer that looked at it at 15k miles isn't my normal dealer (which is where I bought it from). I wasn't super happy with them generally so I'll be heading back to my normal dealer at 20k miles.

Yeah, the dealer that looked at it at 15k miles isn't my normal dealer (which is where I bought it from). I wasn't super happy with them generally so I'll be heading back to my normal dealer at 20k miles.
Oh ok. I'm lucky enough to have a competent dealer when it comes to maintenance. Your warranty isn't bound to the dealership that you bought the car from, which I think you already know, so definitely try out other Mazda dealerships.

I do have a 2016 GT FWD. I do not have those issues. I do have some rattling going on when opening the left rear passenger door. I feel like some rock has gotten into the small gap on the between the door and door moulding. Not a big deal though and will get it looked at on my next oil change. I also did have a slight rattle noise early on in the life of the car, it turned out I either didn't have the moonroof closed completely, or I had the moonroof cover (on the headliner) not closed completely.

The door seals vibrate against one another causing buzzing noises, ....

Additionally, having the music at moderate to loud volume causes a loud vibration inside the driver A-pillar and from the driver door lock/handle area.

I can't say I've ever heard of door seals buzzing, but if they're sticky hit them with some silicone lube and see if that helps.

Had a buzzing noise in the door / handle area of my '17 Mazda 3. Was starting to drive me bonkers. Behind the door handle itself there's a flat plastic cover that clips / rests in there to cover a screw which holds the handle in the door. Use your thumb or fingers and push the plastic towards the outside of the door. Mine was a little loose and would rattle when bass hit at mid-higher volume levels. It's been fine since I pushed it in a bit.

Hope that helps, good luck with the rest of it.

Quick update — dropped her off at my preferred dealer yesterday, they worked on it all day today. Sounds like they were able to replicate the noises I described, which I'm actually thankful for...I can't stand the "we weren't able to replicate the problem" excuse. However, the manager said they tried a few fixes but so far haven't been able to make the odd suspension rattling go away, so they're keeping it another day to try a few more things.

Of course, the dealer gave me a brand new 2017 GT loaner, so now I have new car envy... (pissed)

Quick update — dropped her off at my preferred dealer yesterday, they worked on it all day today. Sounds like they were able to replicate the noises I described, which I'm actually thankful for...I can't stand the "we weren't able to replicate the problem" excuse. However, the manager said they tried a few fixes but so far haven't been able to make the odd suspension rattling go away, so they're keeping it another day to try a few more things.

Of course, the dealer gave me a brand new 2017 GT loaner, so now I have new car envy... (pissed)

my BMW dealer kept my car for 1.5 months once for a simple warranty fix and when I got the car back over 1000KM was driven on it. beware.

My CX-5 had a rattle noise

It was two loose bolts in the back left side behind the black plastic panel in the corner.
Metal on metal rolling around sound every time we turned a corner or stopped.
Dealer said they must have been dropped in there at the factory.
I love my CX-5!

May I ask what the preferred dealer is, and what the other dealers you didn't like are?

Since Mazda of Lakewood got bought out, I am still shopping other dealers, and so far have not been impressed.

I refuse to give McDonald any business after their buyout and screwing of us Mazda of Lakewood folks.

Groove acted extremely put out when I went for an oil change/tire rotation and had a $75 coupon from Mazda. Very off-putting.

Not sure where else there is :(

Last edited:
May I ask what the preferred dealer is, and what the other dealers you didn't like are?

Since Mazda of Lakewood got bought out, I am still shopping other dealers, and so far have not been impressed.

I refuse to give McDonald any business after their buyout and screwing of us Mazda of Lakewood folks.

Groove acted extremely put out when I went for an oil change/tire rotation and had a $75 coupon from Mazda. Very off-putting.

Not sure where else there is :(

I bought it from Sill-TerHar Mazda in Broomfield, and generally have had good experiences with their service department. The not-so-good experience I referenced in the original post was at Courtesy in Longmont.

My string of bad luck continued this morning... I'm still driving the 2017 loaner they gave me, and this morning on the freeway some huge object struck the windshield, causing a ~3 inch spider crack. I just can't catch a break! Hoping my glass coverage will apply...

It sounds like they have most of the issues pinned down. For one, the plastic cowl under the wipers was apparently missing 6 clips that hold it in place, and the rubber seal around it was torn. No idea why. It sounds like they still haven't figured out problem #1 (metallic rattle from front driver side suspension) despite using chassis ears yesterday. I'm moving from CO to Texas next week so it better be solved soon!

I bought it from Sill-TerHar Mazda in Broomfield, and generally have had good experiences with their service department. The not-so-good experience I referenced in the original post was at Courtesy in Longmont.

My string of bad luck continued this morning... I'm still driving the 2017 loaner they gave me, and this morning on the freeway some huge object struck the windshield, causing a ~3 inch spider crack. I just can't catch a break! Hoping my glass coverage will apply...

It sounds like they have most of the issues pinned down. For one, the plastic cowl under the wipers was apparently missing 6 clips that hold it in place, and the rubber seal around it was torn. No idea why. It sounds like they still haven't figured out problem #1 (metallic rattle from front driver side suspension) despite using chassis ears yesterday. I'm moving from CO to Texas next week so it better be solved soon!

Thank you for the reply. (thumb)

Sorry to hear of the string of bad luck! :(

Well, I may have to take back some previous comments...

I just got back from picking up my car. Unfortunately, the dealership reverted to "unable to verify" the front suspension rattling noise, and claimed that their previous comments about hearing the noise were actually about the cowl vibration issue, which they did fix (replaced the missing clips and seals, reinstalled everything). Of course, as soon as I drove off the lot I was able to hear the rattling noise over bumps while accelerating.

I called Mazda customer experience center, and apparently they are communicating with the dealership.

I'm convinced that the problem is related to this service bulletin regarding bad #4 engine mounts: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/SB-10099442-2532.pdf

That almost perfectly describes the symptoms (except I would characterize the noise as more of a rattle than a creak). I even gave the dealership a copy of this and other TSBs, and they me no indication that the investigated any of them. They just said they weren't able to hear the noise, which I think is bs.

Has anyone had any experience with the engine mount issue in the above bulletin?

You need to have the sound happening and you can repeat it and have one of the service folks go with on the drive. I did that with my prior car, Mazda 3 sedan, to hear a clunking when I shifted. The service guy heard it and knew exactly what it was, a rubber dampener on the transmission which was a TSB notice.

Back