2015 CX-5 2.2L Head Gasket Conundrum

So, I have a 2015 2.2 115k miles with what I thought was the normal gasket issue. Coolant overflowing through the expansion tank and spraying across the engine. So, started the process of stripping down and have inspected the gasket, which looks to be ok, no warping on the head… now I’m stuck. What to do next. I will change the gasket anyway, but am I missing anything else? What else could be causing the coolant/gasses through the coolant? Any help would be gratefully received.

to add to this. I did a sniff test before stripping down. This showed as a negative for a head gasket issue - also not experienced any milky oil etc, but couldn’t think of any other issues that could be causing the problem.

So, I have a 2015 2.2 115k miles with what I thought was the normal gasket issue. Coolant overflowing through the expansion tank and spraying across the engine. So, started the process of stripping down and have inspected the gasket, which looks to be ok, no warping on the head… now I’m stuck. What to do next. I will change the gasket anyway, but am I missing anything else? What else could be causing the coolant/gasses through the coolant? Any help would be gratefully received.
You have a SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel and this is a known problem for many years. Not sure which country you’re at, but many diesel owners worldwide could get Mazda to replace the engine for free or with discount even without warranty. I’ve seen Mazda Australia being generous to replace diesel engines for free. The best is in Taiwan where the government has forced Mazda Taiwan giving the free diesel engines with a lifetime warranty. And Mazda Taiwan hence stopped importing the most popular diesel CX-5 and other diesel models there due to such overhead.

Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

Last edited:
to add to this. I did a sniff test before stripping down. This showed as a negative for a head gasket issue - also not experienced any milky oil etc, but couldn’t think of any other issues that could be causing the problem.
Based on some posts from other regions this “overheating” problem isn’t as simple as we thought. The problem seems to be design oriented, overheating which caused coolant spraying around in the engine bay without ANY warnings is only the result of the problem. The only permanent solution is to get a new engine which may have been updated. Changing the head gasket seems to be fine if the head is wrapped, but the root cause is still there.

Back