2014 CX-5, bluetooth dead?

Hey there,

First time post. I have a 2014 CX-5, that out of nowhere has stopped playing bluetooth audio from paired devices. Some things that I've tried to remedy the issue:
  • Reset all bluetooth settings, unpaired and repaired all devices both on infotainment and devices, restarted all devices
  • Reset the head unit by pressing volume knob, back button, and NAV button for about 10 seconds
  • Disconnected battery for ~40 min. then reconnected
  • Removed fuses related to the infotainment unit
I was able to pull up some kind of diagnostic screen by messing with button combinations, and found some kind of error record showing:
device 9 error 20 check battery
This message was indicted for both show errors (i.e. 1/02) See attached photo.

The closest Mazda dealership is a good distance away, and frankly if this is just going to be a matter of replacing the stereo, I'm inclined to go aftermarket and upgrade versus paying premium for stock Mazda.

Anyone have ideas on what the cause could be, knowing the above? Is the bluetooth module just shot?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 89
Mazdas of that vintage has notoriously bad BT modules. Assuming that a bad module is indeed the issue (and it probably is), it's cheaper to get a new Kenwood, JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, or Sony than to get a replacement module (which will also eventually die).

The BT module on my 13 was dead when I got it. I replaced the radio with a Kenwood. Much nicer radio than stock, too. And now I even have Android Auto!

Mazdas of that vintage has notoriously bad BT modules. Assuming that a bad module is indeed the issue (and it probably is), it's cheaper to get a new Kenwood, JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, or Sony than to get a replacement module (which will also eventually die).

The BT module on my 13 was dead when I got it. I replaced the radio with a Kenwood. Much nicer radio than stock, too. And now I even have Android Auto!
Amazing insight! Thank you!

I called the local dealership and they said “bring it in and let me play around with it.” :rolleyes: He even said "that's not our favorite units. The discontinued it pretty quick."

My guess is you're right. After market is probably the way to go. I've not replaced an OEM with an aftermarket that has a backup camera. How does that work? Did you have any issues?

Thanks again for your comment.

My CX-5 didn't have a factory rear camera, so I used this one. It looks 100% factory. It goes in place of one of your license plate lights.

I routed the wires down along the door sills on the driver's side all the way to the back, then up the C pillar to get it into the rear hatch door. It really wasn't a hard install at all.

After market is probably the way to go. I've not replaced an OEM with an aftermarket that has a backup camera. How does that work? Did you have any issues?

I did this on ours when we first got it (so ~9 yrs ago!). I reused the factory camera, but it requires a 6V power adapter (based on the attached pdf). Also attached is a pic of my adapter harness with the adapter included, and my wiring x-ref spreadsheet, .zip file renamed as .wav for posting (please don't ask more, 'cos it's way past my old age memory limit :) )

20140320_085400.jpg

Attachments

• MazdaRearviewCamera.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • Mazda CX5 Radio Wiring.zip.wav
    168.6 KB
Thanks! This might be above my technical abilities but appreciate the insight. Did you have troubles with your bluetooth module as well or just wanted to upgrade?

Yeah, if you have a factory camera, use that one for sure. You'll just need the voltage adapter.

If you get everything from Crutchfield, they will include *detailed* step by step, clip by clip, bolt by bolt, screw by screw instructions on how to install everything. And if somehow you get stuck, you can call and talk a real human to walk you through it at no additional charge.

Thanks! This might be above my technical abilities but appreciate the insight. Did you have troubles with your bluetooth module as well or just wanted to upgrade?
This was back in the early days when the Bluetooth module (it's separate from the radio, over by the glove compartment) had all sorts of issues. They finally came out with a warranty TSB to replace the module with an updated one, but by that time I'd already replaced the whole shebang.

Latest posts

Back