2013 CX-5 TPMS Issue

Buddy I have a Corvette with original TP wheel sensors still working at 16 years with 80,000 miles so not all are bad. The CX-5 has the ABS sensor design for TPMS.

Buddy I have a Corvette with original TP wheel sensors still working at 16 years with 80,000 miles so not all are bad.

That's good to know you've had success on your 'vette. I wonder if being a high-end vehicle might suggest greater attention to details, e.g., high-end wheel sensors with longer life??

The CX-5 has the ABS sensor design for TPMS.

Makes me curious why OP had wheel sensor problems then? I've not really paid attention when checking TP to know which system my wife's '14 CX-5 Touring uses; I'm just counting myself fortunate there's been no false alarms there.

My '11 Mazda3 Touring has the wheel sensors and a very sensitive set point; even a little over pressure on the tires and it lights and it is sure to light off on the first cold nights of autumn and winter when air condenses in the tire. I'm out in morning cold airing up when TP is still at 31lbs; surely not what I run at but also no-where close to unsafe yet.

Last edited:
Makes me curious why OP had wheel sensor problems then?
One of OP's ABS speed sensor could be faulty which caused TPMS problem.

Direct read TPMS system with pressure sensor inside of each tire can be more sophisticated such as this Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Easy-Fill Tire Alert on Nissan Rogue:

2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg

One of OP's ABS speed sensor could be faulty which caused TPMS problem.

Possibly, but wouldn't that throw a more critical (to me at least) failure with ABS? I went out and checked my wife's CX-5 and it has indirect sensing, or at least no valve stem sensors. Could it be a CX-5 without AWD or stability control (assuming there are those) would use a direct reading system with wheel sensors, in early models at the least? I'm not really that familiar with all the full feature sets of all years of CX-5's

Direct read TPMS system with pressure sensor inside of each tire can be more sophisticated such as this Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Easy-Fill Tire Alert on Nissan Rogue:

2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg

That's really impressive but I'm not sure how that benefits me as a driver. While I am a bit of a luddite (lol2) I also think drivers are already too distracted, what with all the glitzy things modern 'connected vehicles' can do, as it is.

Popping this up. I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Mazda CX-5 this week. I'm wondering if a new tire could cause this to occur due to difference in rotation speed? I had a flat and replaced one tire on the rear. The rear now has one tire with a tread depth of 5/32 and the new tire is at 10/32.

Popping this up. I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Mazda CX-5 this week. I'm wondering if a new tire could cause this to occur due to difference in rotation speed? I had a flat and replaced one tire on the rear. The rear now has one tire with a tread depth of 5/32 and the new tire is at 10/32.
Possible but not likely. At 5/32” tread depth, it’s a hard decision for the situation. If it’s a FWD you may consider to get a new pair instead of one. Try to reset the TPMS a couple of times and see.

I do know if I install the smaller in diameter factory compact spare, the TPMS warning light will be on too.

GTK. Mine is FWD and I had not planned to get new tires yet. Both front tires are at 7/32, so I will likely replace the rear this time next year.

Back