2012 Touring Pricing Question

geopal

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2012 CX-9 Touring and found an odd pricing discrepancy that perhaps the community can help me solve? Look at these 2 cars right from the Mazda website. They are the exact same car but notice the base price changes from $31,305 to $31,645? Did Mazda change prices mid-year? Or am I missing something?? Thanks and looking forward to being a member.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/vlS...TB2CA0C0349162,JM3TB2CA4C0349939&interior=ALL

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/vlS...TB2CA2C0356422,JM3TB2CA4C0357216&interior=ALL

Last edited:
I'm picking up my CX-9 GT AWD this afternoon and found the same price discrepancy in the GT line. Most Grand Touring's have a base MSRP of 35,125, but some are 34785 - same 340 delta. I've been trying to find an answer without success. I even asked the dealer and he had no clue.

One interesting thing I've learned this time around is that pricing through "Internet Sales" appears to be much better than if you walk into a showroom. I went into one dealership and was stonewalled at $X over "invoice" and they wouldn't budge from there. I bailed out and asked several other dealers over the Internet for quotes and was immediately a couple of thousand lower - and then haggled down a bit from there. Good luck!

New ads from local Mazda today.

2012 MAZDA CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
$6,500 OFF MSRP
Sale price varies by trim and options plus taxes and fees. Includes $500 Owner Loyalty Rebate†. Five at this price.

Impressive, but there must be some fine print there. Already, you need to be a Mazda owner or you pay $500 more. Are there other loopholes?

I've seen ad deals like that too, but usually they quoted the Dealer's Retail price with $7K of inflated garbage on top of the true factory sticker.

Maybe someone will pursue it and let us know. In any case, it's unusual for any dealer to advertise their "best price".

It's the way of the world out here. In fact, I saved the BS sticker from my new CX-9 and keep it with my paperwork so I can take it out and get a good laugh from time to time.

HOLOHOLO,
When 2012 model year is coming to an end, Mazda could give $2000-2500
rebate to dealers to sell off remaining stock of CX9s. Adding the original margin
of about $4000-4500 between invoice to MSRP, $6500 is do-able.
When time was tough a couple years ago, I saw $7500 off MSRP end of summer that year.
Again, this is for GT AWD, which has close to (or more than) $40K MSRP (likely w/ some options included already).

Last edited:
Well, for folks who live in Norther Califonia, if you go to Edmunds.com and do a search for Mazda CX-9, you might find that Maita Mazda has some attractive deals. There is one, for example, GT AWD with roof rack if I remember correctly on sale for $28K plus.

Impressive, but there must be some fine print there. Already, you need to be a Mazda owner or you pay $500 more. Are there other loopholes?

I've seen ad deals like that too, but usually they quoted the Dealer's Retail price with $7K of inflated garbage on top of the true factory sticker.

Maybe someone will pursue it and let us know. In any case, it's unusual for any dealer to advertise their "best price".

It's the way of the world out here. In fact, I saved the BS sticker from my new CX-9 and keep it with my paperwork so I can take it out and get a good laugh from time to time.

Still, $6,000 off MSRP as an opening price is really good.

Well, for folks who live in Norther Califonia, if you go to Edmunds.com and do a search for Mazda CX-9, you might find that Maita Mazda has some attractive deals. There is one, for example, GT AWD with roof rack if I remember correctly on sale for $28K plus.

There's no way that's a new vehicle at that price.

Here is the price of that CX-9:

http://www.edmunds.com/inventory/vi...ginetype=&transmission=&drivetrain=&fueltype=

I am not sure if this site will work, but...
if you go to edmunds.com and choose your zip code as 95821 under "Find your next car" and search under "Search Inventory in Your Area" checking "New cars" then seclect make and model, select Grand Touring as Trim, you will definitely see the price of that CX-9 GT AWD with vin#JM3TB3DVXC0351279 listed for $28,670 at Maita Mazda.

I tried to get 6k off MSRP for a GT FWD with monoroof and power liftgate, msrp over 37k but the dealer won't go more than 4k off. The dealer actually told me the 750 finance cash cannot be combined with dealer cash, it's an either or deal.

AFAIK, the front wheel drive models especially in GT trim are harder to find and maybe dealers won't give as much of a discount.

Here is the price of that CX-9:

http://www.edmunds.com/inventory/vi...ginetype=&transmission=&drivetrain=&fueltype=

I am not sure if this site will work, but...
if you go to edmunds.com and choose your zip code as 95821 under "Find your next car" and search under "Search Inventory in Your Area" checking "New cars" then seclect make and model, select Grand Touring as Trim, you will definitely see the price of that CX-9 GT AWD with vin#JM3TB3DVXC0351279 listed for $28,670 at Maita Mazda.

That is probably just a demo unit since th VIN is listed clearly.

I saw the vin#s are all listed for 13 CX-9 at their site (Maita Mazda) with price listed on each model. Don't know if any of them are demos or not though, but I doubt it. Me too, I am not associated with them just thought if someone is looking for a CX-9 maybe check them out see if they have a good deal.

I saw the vin#s are all listed for 13 CX-9 at their site (Maita Mazda) with price listed on each model. Don't know if any of them are demos or not though, but I doubt it. Me too, I am not associated with them just thought if someone is looking for a CX-9 maybe check them out see if they have a good deal.

Actually, MaitaMadza.com has even better deal for GT AWD. It is doing $7500 off from MSRP for GT AWD.
(probably includes trade-in rebate and/or loyalty rebate etc.)
I found the one you mentioned:
http://www.maitamazda.com/detail.cfm?ID=115036&V=2012 Mazda CX-9 AWD 4dr Grand Touring
It is a barebone GT AWD.

However, they are also doing $4500-5347 off MSRP for Tourings.
You actually can find a barebone GT AWD that is cheaper than a loaded Touring....both at roughly same MSRP.

Great time to shop for a CX9 in July 4th week.

Last edited:
The basic stereo package has no screen at all. There's a pict at that link that was posted.

JM3TB3DV6C0351960_14.jpg

Back