2011+ (Gen2) MSDS headers

TheSchimann

:
2013 Mazda 5 GT
2011+ (Gen2) Mazda 5 MSDS headers

Hi ya all. This is my first post and I'll try to make it useful.

I own a 2013 Mazda 5 GT and I was reading a little on the 1st gen M5 and people have taken M3 headers and slightly modified them to fit the M5. I don't have the means of doing that so I contacted Martin Schneider from MSDS who makes high quality headers for the 2.5L Mazda 3 and asked him if he was willing to make a header for the Mazda 5. I told him that it might be worth his while to slightly change an existing header he sells and have some more customers. This is what he said:
"Just have a forum member contact us for discussing a prototype
made on their donor car. All of our contact info is at our
site: www.MSDSINC.com
Thank you !"

Here is my problem. I would give my car for prototyping but I live 1200 miles away from his shop in Glendale, CA.
So here is my question:
How many Mazda 5 owners would be interested in a high quality header like this and would anyone in that area be willing to lend his Mazda 5 for prototyping? Martin claims on his website a consistent minimum 14% hp gain on various vehicles and as high as 23% on a 928 Porsche he owns. As for price, I would guess $375 because thats how much the Mazda 3 is. But thats only my guestimate.

Theoretically this means 157hp x 85% (drivetrain loss) = 133whp + minimum 14% hp increase = 152whp :p

Last edited:
Everyone wants more power (I do) but I think most are too frugal minded to dump a wade of cash into headers for a Mz5. Being a family car, I don’t think anyone is willing or able to give it up for a period of time for no good reason. High priced I/H/E (folks who put quality money into one tend to do all three) puts you very close to a turbo kit with much more gains (but also more headaches).

Get it mass produced and in the low-mid $200 and I’m sure it will get lots of attention :D

Everyone wants more power (I do) but I think most are too frugal minded to dump a wade of cash into headers for a Mz5. Being a family car, I dont think anyone is willing or able to give it up for a period of time for no good reason. High priced I/H/E (folks who put quality money into one tend to do all three) puts you very close to a turbo kit with much more gains (but also more headaches).

Get it mass produced and in the low-mid $200 and Im sure it will get lots of attention :D

I totaly understand your point about not everyone beeing willing to spend that kind of money on a family car. But I disagree that it would make more sence getting a turbo kit vs high quality I/H/E for 2 reasons.

1. People who are willing/able to spend money on high quality wont buy a low quality turbo kit and
2. High quality I/H/E wont void a warranty. (At least not at my local dealership)

And lending the car wont be for 2 weeks. I suspect all Martin would do is take out the existing header > take measurements > reinstall oem header > make a prototype > give car donor for installment, dyno testing and feedback on fitment.

I totaly understand your point about not everyone beeing willing to spend that kind of money on a family car. But I disagree that it would make more sence getting a turbo kit vs high quality I/H/E for 2 reasons.

1. People who are willing/able to spend money on high quality wont buy a low quality turbo kit and
2. High quality I/H/E wont void a warranty. (At least not at my local dealership)

And lending the car wont be for 2 weeks. I suspect all Martin would do is take out the existing header > take measurements > reinstall oem header > make a prototype > give car donor for installment, dyno testing and feedback on fitment.
Agree on both points. Hope someone in CA can help see this through.

Agree on both points. Hope someone in CA can help see this through.

I really do to :) I basically look at it like this: I am not rich enough to buy cheap. If I want the header to last a couple of years without rusting away and performe like new then I buy a good quality header right of the bat and not after my cheap one has rusted away.

Also the MSDS header has long primaries which means your fuel economy wont suffer and you wont compromise TQ for HP at high RPM

If there wasnt a 500 mile desert between me & him I would DEFINITELY be the guinea pig. I need to drop the exhaust anyway since the ENTIRE heat shield disintegrated leaving aluminum foil wrapped around the cat and the asbestos-masonite looking backing flaking into brittle bits all over everything else.

I have wondered many times if that spat of Mz5 engine fires that happened a year or 2 back weren't caused by that.

If there wasnt a 500 mile desert between me & him I would DEFINITELY be the guinea pig.

I have the same problem :) except I live even farther away. If I at least we can get a group of people who are ready to buy that will help. Eventually someone will show up in that area and if we are enough people we can ask Martin if he is willing to do a group sale.

This is for the 2nd gen Mazda 5 2.5L though. Your signature shows you own an 06?

Is anyone sure that any header for the 2010+ Mazda3 is NOT a direct bolt in to a 2012+ Mazda5? I only ask as I had to make no exhaust modifications to mount a Mazda3 turbo header and downpipe into my 5 (1st gen Mazda5 though). The install METHOD changed a little but it was a direct bolt in. Due to the chassis and mechanical similarities I would think the exhaust manifold may actually be the same between the two. Or at least close enough that a header would fit either without issue.

Is anyone sure that any header for the 2010+ Mazda3 is NOT a direct bolt in to a 2012+ Mazda5? I only ask as I had to make no exhaust modifications to mount a Mazda3 turbo header and downpipe into my 5 (1st gen Mazda5 though). The install METHOD changed a little but it was a direct bolt in. Due to the chassis and mechanical similarities I would think the exhaust manifold may actually be the same between the two. Or at least close enough that a header would fit either without issue.

To be honest I am not sure. I read a post by a forum member on this forum who had to modify a thunder header to fit his 1st gen Mazda 5 thats why I posted on this topic. If anyone knows of someone selling a used MSDS header I am willing to try it.

bump. I eat lunch at Glendale sometimes. The header is roughly $375? So hopefully I can take my car up to them for a test fitting sometime after my car passes 7500 mi (first free oil change at stealership).

I expect to pass that point sometime around mid-summer. This is probably a pretty useless mod tho. It ain't like you can feel 10hp.

Back