2011 CX-9 Torque Converter replacement options?

I have a 2011 CX-9 with 225k miles. The car has been super reliable, and we have serviced it regularly.

No issues until until now. for the past 25k miles the car throws an "AT" fault after it runs for about 30 minutes. I pulled the OBD code and it is a faulty Torque Converter, but up until the past few weeks there were no other symptoms other than the warning light. Now the car jerks into gear from park/neutral and sometimes stalls. Other than starting off, the car/trans runs great.

I took it to the dealer who quoted me $5k for the converter replacement. The transmission is solid and does not need to be replaced.

This seems high. A friend who runs the service dept for BMW dealership checked and his price for new TC from Mazda is $1500. I found it online retail price of $2000.

So what is a fair price to pay? I've reached out to AAMCO for a quote. Car is going to daughter who is starting out post-college life, and I would like her to not have a car payment.

thanks

Has your transmission fluid ever been changed? I believe these were marketed as "lifetime transmission fluid" which is a joke...The fluid still needs to be changed. That is the first place I would start. Worth a shot at least in my opinion.

Has your transmission fluid ever been changed? I believe these were marketed as "lifetime transmission fluid" which is a joke...The fluid still needs to be changed. That is the first place I would start. Worth a shot at least in my opinion.
yes the fluid has been changed.

The dealership won't even recognize that there is a rebuilt converter market out there. When I went to them it was brand new, OEM only so everything I was told was aligned with that practice (naturally, they are not going to sell non-OEM parts).

What I've discovered is that there is a vibrant aftermarket for torque converters, and I've seen prices in the $300 - $400 range. So I think I am going to find a shop that will go this route.

I'm just trying to find anyone with experience using an aftermarket rebuilt converter to validate my thinking here.

thanks

Of course it is lifetime fluid...for the life of the fluid. You didn't think it was for your lifetime??:ROFLMAO:

Of course it is lifetime fluid...for the life of the fluid. You didn't think it was for your lifetime??:ROFLMAO:
Ha, no I did not think it was for my lifetime. That would be quite the claim to make, of course claiming that the fluid is good for the life of the transmission is almost as bad.

Lance, this car which evidently has served you well, is worth about $2k. With everything else worn nearly to the end of its life it is not worth putting another $2k or more into it. Sorry.

I found someone to replace the torque converter, and in the end they replaced the whole thing with a used transmission with 60k mileage. It was cheaper to replace the whole thing then just the TC, plus I got 3yr warranty on the tranny. total was $3k. just picked it up yesterday, runs great.

The car runs great, while it may not be worth very much, to replace it would cost a lot and nice to have this car as a backup for kids when they come home from school.

Lancer, you cannot get a car for 2k at this time. You would be surprised at what they sell for 2k. Usually junk. Your car is worth a lot more than that. You only have a little over 100k miles on it, just service the trans on a regular basis like every 20k and you should be good to go. The 3k was worth it if you ask me.

Back