2011 CX-9 First Time Oil Change FAIL?

blackntan

:
2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring - Black n Tan
I completed the first oil change on our CX-9 last weekend. It was 4 months after purchase, with around 2,500 miles on it.
I already had 5 OEM oil filters, that I ordered for cheap. (mistake?)

Just like everyone else, I had a helluva time getting the oil filter off, that thing was torqued down. The filter was all banged up by the time I got it off. I had to use a wrench to unscrew it, the entire time. It never got to the point where I could unscrew it with my hands.

So, I went to install a new OEM oil filter, and expected to be able to hand tighten it...wrong. After a couple rotations, it got tight and I couldn't tighten it with my hand anymore. (it was not cross threaded) There was still a good 1/2" before the oil filter would even seat. And of course, I didn't have an oil filter wrench that fits the stupid OEM oil filter grooves, so I had to use a universal wrench to try to tighten it up. I never could get it all the way on, so I backed it back off, and went to Autozone for an aftermarket Oil Filter, and bought an oil filter wrench that fit the grooves for it.

Came back home, and installed the aftermarket oil filter. The entire time, I had to put a lot of pressure and torque on it, just to get the oil filter to seat.

Is this normal? I'm afraid that the threads may be stripped from factory torquing down the first oil filter. I thought these things should be able to hand screw on with no wrenches necessary (like every other car I've changed oil on).

If the threads are stripped, I'm not even sure if I have a case, if I went to the dealership and asked them to fix it? Can that middle, threaded part where the oil filter screws on to, be replaced if it is stripped?

On a brighter note, I put in Amsoil Signature Series 5w-20. My wife is on about 1/2 tank, and she says she is getting almost 1mpg better than before. This is just computer average, so it isn't completely accurate. I will hand calculate at fillup, but she seems to think she is getting better mpg so far :D

I also installed the fumoto valve, to make the oil sample for oil analysis easy to draw, and for easier draining. I plan to go 5k miles on this Amsoil before I take a sample.
Thanks!

My oil filter was on very tight from the factory as I think we all have experienced from our CX-9, but putting the new one on had tight was no problem. I have done 4 oil changes to date @ 1K, 5K, 10K, 15K and very close to 20K for my next.

Thanks qck, that's what I was afraid of....I guess I need to start looking around for the screw on part to replace, because I assume the threads are trashed. Maybe I'll get lucky next time I do the oil change, and when I remove the filter, it will straighten the threads out...(jerkit)

Did you coat both the gasket and the threads on the oil filter before putting it on ? I always do this when i change the oil on my other cars. Since the mazda service has been cheap so far i take it to them. Let's see what happens when i finally have to change it myself after the extended warranty expires.

Yes, I coated the gasket and threads...no dice. I could complete a couple turns by hand, and then it would get too tight, so I'd have to use the oil filter wrench. This happened when there was still a good 1/2" until the filter would be seated.

Did you coat both the gasket and the threads on the oil filter before putting it on ? I always do this when i change the oil on my other cars. Since the mazda service has been cheap so far i take it to them. Let's see what happens when i finally have to change it myself after the extended warranty expires.

If i were you i would take it back to the dealer. This is a one year old vehicle and you shouldn't be having that problem.

yeah, i had no problem putting the new filter on after the first change. not saying you crossthreaded but it would make me nervous.

one (less honest) alternative would be to take it to the dealer and let them change it again.

I usually spin mine till it the seals contact the seat and then tighten it maybe 3/4- one full turn. Your experience certainly doesn't sound right. Assuming you bought a few OEM filters, were you able to compare the threads on the filter you installed with another OEM filter?

I think Mazda owes on this one. I think its probably impossible to cross thread the threads, those are pretty thick threads, likely just not manufactured correctly. I don't think you did anything, it sounds like they were damaged during the manufacturing process (over tightening of the filter or just flawed threads).

I only coat the rubber seal on the filter, and it spins freely right on.

If your stealership won't cover it, it shouldn't be hard to replace the threaded post, but good luck trying to find the part number.

Thanks helbigtw, words of encouragement.
I'll see if I can get an appointment with the service department in a week or so, when schedule permits. I really don't want them to dump the $40 or so worth of oil that I just put in....

I think Mazda owes on this one. I think its probably impossible to cross thread the threads, those are pretty thick threads, likely just not manufactured correctly. I don't think you did anything, it sounds like they were damaged during the manufacturing process (over tightening of the filter or just flawed threads).

I only coat the rubber seal on the filter, and it spins freely right on.

If your stealership won't cover it, it shouldn't be hard to replace the threaded post, but good luck trying to find the part number.

Yes, they were OEM filters that I purchased, and the threads matched. For S&G's, I even tried to put the old one back on, and same thing, a couple turns in and it would lock up.

danz75 said:
Assuming you bought a few OEM filters, were you able to compare the threads on the filter you installed with another OEM filter?

Definitely go back to the dealer. At the worst they will get that fixed. i have comopleted 3 oil changes with Mobile 1 filter and oil and no issues. Matter of fact I am due this weekend for a change.

Mazda must hav been reading this thread. I just changed the oil in my 14 cx-9 for the first time at 3k miles. The filter came right off, barely hand tight. Oil plug also came right off. I used Mobil 1 5w-20 and will now go every 7500 miles.

Back