2009 Official Formula 1 thread

And they're surprised that there are monsoon conditions in Malaysia, in the middle of the rainy-season... FOM never ceases to amaze me.

On the other hand, when the humidity reached 98%, it was BADASS to see the vorticies being pulled off the rear wings at top speed. That's some major lessons in aerodynamics going on there... Wish I could find some pictures of them

And they're surprised that there are monsoon conditions in Malaysia, in the middle of the rainy-season... FOM never ceases to amaze me.

On the other hand, when the humidity reached 98%, it was BADASS to see the vorticies being pulled off the rear wings at top speed. That's some major lessons in aerodynamics going on there... Wish I could find some pictures of them

Yep, and the fact that I read that Bernie insists that twilight races will still be going on strikes me as rather shocking, I know that in F1 tv audience is king, but still I think it's a lack of respect for local race goers, especially since everyone who had been in Sepang knew that it always rained in the afternoon.

And yes its odd that with so many photographers there isn't a single picture online (neither at Formula1 nor at autosport) of those vortices. They are seriously kick ass.

As for an amusing image, I laughed out loud when there were other drivers soaking wet still in their cars, and then we have a shot of Kimi in shorts and a tshirt eating some ice cream and a coke.

Let's play where's Kimi!

Kimi: "I swear I parked the car right here. **** this s***, I'm going for an ice-cream!"

d09mal1685_000.jpg

lmao that's hilarious. Except that it would have all been mumbled and no one would have understood a word of what he said.

lol, well they had that shot of everyone soaking wet in they're race suites and him on the side in shorts and a t-shirt eating ice cream! lol

I put those results in a table but then when pasting it it did the same, anyone wanna give it a shot?

Pos No Driver Team Lap Time Of Day Avg Speed Time
1 22 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 18 5:33 PM 206.483 01:36.6
2 23 Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 17 5:31 PM 204.698 01:37.5
3 9 Jarno Trulli Toyota 12 5:23 PM 204.473 01:37.6
4 16 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 13 5:24 PM 204.459 01:37.6
5 14 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 14 5:27 PM 204.304 01:37.7
6 15 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 10 5:20 PM 202.737 01:38.4
7 4 Kimi Rikknen Ferrari 17 5:31 PM 202.683 01:38.5
8 12 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari 16 5:31 PM 201.689 01:38.9
9 7 Fernando Alonso Renault 17 5:32 PM 201.551 01:39.0
10 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW 17 5:32 PM 201.392 01:39.1
11 1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 17 5:32 PM 201.276 01:39.1
12 11 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 17 5:32 PM 201.072 01:39.2
13 3 Felipe Massa Ferrari 17 5:32 PM 201.055 01:39.3
14 8 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 18 5:33 PM 201.019 01:39.3
15 17 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 17 5:32 PM 200.778 01:39.4
16 10 Timo Glock Toyota 18 5:34 PM 200.74 01:39.4
17 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 16 5:30 PM 200.738 01:39.4
18 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Ferrari 17 5:32 PM 200.623 01:39.5

go brawn! i missed malaysia but i plan on seeing china. lets hope for a real race and a barrichello win! if he wins just 1 this year i will be satisfied if he retires. i heard button was so happy with his win in melbourne that he rushed his gf into the team office and nailed her before the post race press confrence. the article was titled "pole position"

I've been following F1 for the last couple of years and I'm SO glad I found this thread. Only 2 or 3 of my friends actually watch it.

What do you guys think will happen in Turkey this weekend?

I've been following F1 for the last couple of years and I'm SO glad I found this thread. Only 2 or 3 of my friends actually watch it.

What do you guys think will happen in Turkey this weekend?

Woah! I'd fogotten about this thread. Nobody had touched it since Malaysia...anyways things are still roughly the same lol.

Pre-practice I read alot (and supported) the idea that Red Bull would be the ones to beat, with Ferrari (Massa and Kimi are the only ones to have won in Turkey so far) and Brawn looming close by and the McLarens having a tough time. And then after practice 2 we have Heikki on top of the time sheets! But most reports said the track was still very green and looking at the times from prac 2 you have the first...14 or 16 cars(can't remember) covered by 1 second, Alonso missed the top spot in P2 by 6 thousanths of a sec.

The track will get faster for shure, and the Brawns have responded well to the adjustments they make during the race weekend so far, but it will be interesting to see what happens. I still think the pre-race favourites are the ones to beat, tough Red Bull will have to look into why Vettel's car had a problem with it's engine after 4 laps of practice. So many drivers split by so little time means things will be interesting in practice 3 and qualy and any mistake no matter how tiny will be harshly punished.

^^^ Is this Peter Windsor? Haha

I agree with everything you said, though I haven't watched the practice yet. It's on the DVR and I'll watch it tomorrow. I have nothing against Button and Barrichello and hope they win it. Those two really deserve it. Button was on Top Gear a few seasons back and said he would trade ALL his money to be champion for one year. But I like Vettel. He's so young and doing so well! I was pulling for him last year too and it's great to see Red Bull doing so well this year.

What do you think about the KERS and only 4 cars running with it at Monte Carlo?

^^^ Is this Peter Windsor? Haha

I agree with everything you said, though I haven't watched the practice yet. It's on the DVR and I'll watch it tomorrow. I have nothing against Button and Barrichello and hope they win it. Those two really deserve it. Button was on Top Gear a few seasons back and said he would trade ALL his money to be champion for one year. But I like Vettel. He's so young and doing so well! I was pulling for him last year too and it's great to see Red Bull doing so well this year.

What do you think about the KERS and only 4 cars running with it at Monte Carlo?

Lol, I just like to read about F1 a lot...and focusing on the bits of racing we get instead of all the political crap that's going around right now.

I also like the 3 drivers you talked about. It was about time Button found himself in a good team and its very nice to see how he's risen to the occasion. It's kind of hard not to see him as champion at the end of the year, but I'd really like Barrichello to do well too. Vettel has a lot of time to do great things, and I also like Webber, he's funny during interviews.

And KERS has to be the biggest dissapointment of the season! Not only is it not "road car relevant" as Mosley wanted (I remember reading that Toyota considered this sistem very primitive compared to what's in one of their hybrid cars), but no KERS equipped car has won a GP. If I was a team boss that decidied to spend a lot of time developing KERS, I'd feel borderline cheated that I developed something that was recommended for this season, and yet my team was getting thrashed.

Regarding Monaco, I read all over the place that the weight penalty of KERS would make the car's handling worse, and that the lack of a good straight for overtaking would make it not very useful (and Massa seemed to prove this when he couldn't pass Vettel). Hell, it wasn't even good for the start, as Kimi got clobbered by Rubens and lost 2nd place.

On the flip side, I also read that it was very likely that the KERS gave the cars a bit more rear weight, useful in Monaco for traction, and the fastest lap was posted by a Ferrari.

...I really want to see what happens in Qualy...even if because of my timezone I wont be watching it live lol..

i was never into formula1 back home but just getting into it this season... its a little easier for me since im on europe time though... 6 laps left in turkey and its button in the lead again!

tiagotiago, where do you find the best online reads for F1?

I just wish I had thought about it a few months before and got good tickets to silverstone in two weeks time. by the time i thought about it all the reasonably price tix were gone.

i was never into formula1 back home but just getting into it this season... its a little easier for me since im on europe time though... 6 laps left in turkey and its button in the lead again!

tiagotiago, where do you find the best online reads for F1?

I just wish I had thought about it a few months before and got good tickets to silverstone in two weeks time. by the time i thought about it all the reasonably price tix were gone.

The 3 sites I visit the most are:

www.autosport.com This place is packed with very credible information, and is updated very frequently. You get a lot of insights here, and they cover all major motorsport series. The only problem is that to get the features you have to pay a subscription. Paying the subscription also opens up the archives, which have a lot of detailed information and articles, specifically since the 98 season. They also offer a nice "live" feature, in which two journos are typing along when there's a race. Having that, together with the commentary of whatever channel your getting gives you a very clear picture of whats going on in a race. (though formula1.com's live feed is also getting better).

www.motorsportmagazine.co.uk The printed magazine is, as they say, "The Original Motorsport Magazine, since 1924". The website is a lot smaller than autosport, and it has a few features, but it is a nice, well written place (subscribe to the "Ask Nigel" section for history lessons and opinions from one of the best journos in the business). The authors constantly check and reply to the comments from their articles and it makes for a very nice experience; it has one of the most "idiot free" comment sections of the internet.

www.planetf1.com Planetf1 is a lot more opinionated, and less serious than either autosport or motorsport, but it's good for hearing the "word on the street", though they might run with rumors that end up being just that. It makes for a fun read,gives you another point of view and you get less politically correct opinions.

----

And Button was spectacular in Turkey... Vettel made one mistake on the opening lap and Jenson made him pay dearly for it, tough they must be a bit worried that Rubens had those problems (altough getting him to retire in the race will probably let them change his faulty gearbox without any penalty for the next race...). It would take something borderline tragic if Button doesn't win this championship, lets remember that Hamilton won last years championship with 5 victories, and Kimi won the championship in 07 with 6!

---

And how are the prices for going to see a GP at Belgium?? :D

awesome... ill start looking into those thnx.

belgium... according to formula1.com... 159 for general admission on race day only. there were 60 tix for raceday for england but those were sold so quickly. i will make sure to not let next season slip away!

what sucks is SpeedTV isn't broadcasting the Turkey race until tomorrow afternoon. Same thing with the British Grand Prix; it won't air until the following Tuesday.

I am pissed they took Montreal off the schedule for 09!!! Would have been this past weekend! I'm like 20min from the track!

Back