2009 Official Formula 1 thread

Roywhitep5

:
2007 350z
i knew they'd take qualifying, but i was expecting barrichello on top and button second. this is going to be an incredible season

i forgot to record it. i tried watching the beginning, but 1AM is too late to stay up.

Don't feel so bad, it was on at 10 pm in my timezone and I couldn't stay up either... :D

Isn't there/shouldn't there be an f1 thread in this place??

In any case, I also watched the race live, and recorded it (it was at my 11pm, and I was in a friends birthday bbq, so there were bits of the race that I missed).

I'm very very happy that Brawn won, altough I was a little bit dissapointed the Williams didn't finish better, their practice pace was very quick, and I want them to return to their glory days. I was very surprised the Ferraris where off the pace, as was Heidfield in relation to Kubica; such a shame for both Vettel and Kubica to finish the race with such a bang.

I can't wait for Sepang!

a shame for Vettel. Kubica got what he deserved, IMO.

At first I tought the same, along the lines of "the one who's making the pass will be the one at fault if something goes wrong". But the next day when I watched the race again, the view from Kubica's car makes it a bit tougher to call. The view from Kubica's car clearly shows Vettel braked really early for that corner, which Vettel was doing because his tires where shot, so I can understand Kubica for seeing that and thinking "ok I have space" and then finding out the hard way that Vettel was still there.

I think Vettel's punishment is excessive, this is just something that has and will keep happening in races.

Kubica definitely did not deserve to finish with a DNF. The last 5 or so laps before the crash he was quicker then Vettle by about half a sec. or more, you could clearly see he was catching up quickly. There was no way Vettle was going to be able to hold him off with worn tires compared to Kubica's much new ones for another 3 laps. If you look at the video you can clearly see that Vettle swerves a bit and strays from his line in order to block Kubica. I understand that this is racing and such tactics are necessary, but there is a limit, and I think Vettle crossed the line and could not stay in control of his own car. But to be fair, Kubica also didn't pick the best time to pass, since he could have waited a bit and passed safely coming off a turn onto some kind of straighter section. He is a great driver because he always pushes to the limit, but that also comes with added risk.

Also, anyone know why the other teams were so pissed at Brawn before, and probably after, the race? I know they are the new guys, but I heard something about cheating and bending the rules for interpretation.

well, from what i gathered it was because the had a rear diffuser that gave them more down force at the rear of their car...some of the other teams asked the FIA over the offseason whether those were allowed or not, and the FIA specifically told them no...But, there were like 3 or 4 teams with the rear diffuser at the Australian GP, so all the teams that were told no by the FIA were pissed.

aaaaaahhhh.....I see. I do remember hearing diffuser somewhere in there. So will the teams be allowed to run a different type of diffuser or are they stuck with what they had earlier?

The last race I watched in full from 1am -3am. I just noticed the next race is gonna be at 4am local time this sunday, thats gonna make things interesting.

i dont know what they will do...it is going to get ruled on by the racing sanctioning counsel...but the thing that hurts the teams without them the most is that they cant test them out on any tracks, with the new rules all testing stops once the season starts...the only way they can see if they will work well is through computer models or on practice sessions before the races...it will be interesting this season...because i am sure there are a lot of new rules all the teams will interpret differently

aaaaaahhhh.....I see. I do remember hearing diffuser somewhere in there. So will the teams be allowed to run a different type of diffuser or are they stuck with what they had earlier?

Well, the FIA deemed that Brawn,Williams and Toyota's version of the rear diffuser is legal, this was clarified during Friday if I remember correctly. The decision was appealed and will go to FIA's court. If it is deemed legal, the other teams will have to catch up though Renault's manager, Flavio Briatore, was saying things along the lines of "they'd have to redesign the whole rear end of the car in order to make the diffuser/rear wing work properly". Martin Witmarsh of Mclaren said catching up would need some 10M USD in R&D and manufacturing.

Still Rubens and Ross joked that Ruben's car was pretty much missing it's diffuser after being hit by Kovalainen's car. Diffuser or not, the BGP001 is very tough to have survived all that Barrichelo put it through.

maybe...i didn't see Vettel come out at all; it looked to me like he was right up against the curbing. there was plenty of asphalt on the left side of Kubica...he didn't need to squeeze Vettel that way. Kubica basically just cut over in front of Vettel to set up for the next corner, but didn't have the position to do so...he wasn't far enough in front of Vettel. there was nowhere for Vettel to go. Kubica might have thought he had position based on Vettel's early braking, but he was wrong.

and while Vettel can't block Kubica, he certainly doesn't need to stop racing and just let Kubica by in that situation.

and what happened to Barrichello on the start? i missed the post-race.

Great thread! I missed it cause it was on at 3am over here, we can make this the official F1 thread, just change the title, we can update with highlights and thing from the season!

Great thread! I missed it cause it was on at 3am over here, we can make this the official F1 thread, just change the title, we can update with highlights and thing from the season!

+1 on making this the official F1 thread for the season. Anyone know if the tread starter can change this or can only mods do so?

EDIT: Unless Roywhitep5 doesn't want to have his tread changed. If so we can make another one.

+1 on making this the official F1 thread for the season.

+1

Speaking of highlights.... will Formula1.com still be making music videos after each race, like it made last season?? I can't seem to find any of Australia, the only ones I find on their website are the ones from 08.

Back