2008 Mazda CX-9 Burning Smell with smoke from under hood...

Goodmorning, Is your car an AWD? If so, it could be the PTU leaking. Do you notice a sulfur smell?

As the subject says...
2008 Mazda CX9 Burning Smell with smoke from under hood... started out of nowhere... ironically after we had ourselves a cold spell come through here so not sure if that is any indication or important fact... smells like burning oil, there are drops of oil under the car but I can't see where it could be coming from. I do not see any bubbling or anything in the reservoir, I don't see smoke from exhaust pipe, I'm not overheating (thankfully)... so asking if there are any certain things I can check. Was on my way to church when it started, turned around and went home to not take a chance on Christmas Eve... today... didn't wanna spend it on the side of the road with family. I plan on taking it somewhere to get looked at but who knows what they may come up with or make up... so hoping for a heads up or something I can check out myself. Thanks in advance.
Lay carboard down to catch oil to see where is dropping from and color.

Is oil yellow/brown or red/rust color?

Red -
Tranny pan gasket worn.
Tranny drain/fill plug is loose
Tranny cracked from offroading.
Power steering hoses or seals worn.

Yellow/brown
Oil filter loose
Oil drain plug loose
Oil pan gasket worn
Cylinder head gasket worn
Valve cover gasket worn
Oil pan cracked from offroading.

Good Luck.

Brownish
Most recent repair was replaced oil pan but that was almost a year ago and have had no issues along the way. We drive just around town or highway so no offroading...

View attachment 314761
Thats alot of oil.
Look like might be one of your gaskets.

Dry off the oil filter and drain plug...then run your hand around them check for leaks. See if you can handtighten(if you can handtighten then they are loose). Make sure they're tight. Since oil pan was just repaired last year, more than likely the gasket/seals failed. Dry off the pan area and check for leaks.

If not the pan, then you have expensive repair...either valve cover gasket or head gasket is worn, leaking down and causing that wide splotch pattern on cardboard.

Also, with that much leakage, are you repalcing oil, tran fluids or power steer fluid? Are any of them low? Why was original oil pan replaced?

Last edited:
I would suggest climbing under the car and looking around. Normally smoke implies that whatever is leaking is landing on the hot exhaust and burning. There is so much oil on that cardboard that it looks like you have a leak at the filter or pump that is then getting blown all over the place as you drive, which then drips down from multiple places when parked. If the filter was put on "hand tight" when it was warm outside and you just had a big temperature drop, it is not unheard of for the filter gasket to leak.

You are going to have to get under the car and wipe everything off, then start the car and look for new oil.

You might have to clean the oily parts to find the source of the leak. Get a can of brake clean solvent, something long to hold small pieces of rags, flashlight, maybe a mechanic's mirror. Clean off all the oil you can get to, let the engine run a couple of minutes, stop the engine for your safety, look for the source of the leak. (I had a Volvo with an oil leak; I've been through this. In my case it was a hose to the oil cooler. No telling what you'll find.)

I know many people feel there is no quick fix for leaking seals. I HAVE used Blue Devil in cars in the past, however I am curious if anyone else has and how did that turn out?
In old days we used to replace the gaskets and seals... a real PITA.

Nowadays it seems like the gaskets/seals last alot longer. Didnt start having any leaks til after 12/13 years.
And Valvoline high mileage oil has worked to recondition seals after a few changes so any minor leaks have been sealed up. Same thing valvo high mileage tranny fluid.

here's what I'm gonna try to do tomorrow... thing smokes way too bad to go down the road...
change oil with slightly thicker fully synthetic oil... thinking 5w30, then also add a bottle of Bar's Leaks Rear Main Sealer, then hope for the best.

Feedback encouraged and appreciated...
I think they're all the same and probably use alot of similar ingredients, maybe slightly different formulas.

Valvoline high mileage worked for me but let us know how well bars leak works. They all say these products should fix seals very quickly but I found it took a few months(using valvo high mileage) and another oil change to seal it up good.

Am having the same issue this week after some extreme cold night in georgia. I've just replace the valve cover gasket but it's still leaking ..its coming from behind the rear exhaust manifold.i don't see anything running down from the top so far

Am having the same issue this week after some extreme cold night in georgia. I've just replace the valve cover gasket but it's still leaking ..its coming from behind the rear exhaust manifold.i don't see anything running down from the top so far
If you could, how old are your mazda's with leaking seals??

Just asking beacuse I've had an older Toyota engine that didnt need valve cover gasket til it's 9th year. More recent Toyota and Ford engines both lasted for about 12-13 years before very minor seepage and only needed Valvoline high mileage oil to recondition the seals.

Maybe you should try some valvo high mileage or some blue devil or other seal additive.

2008 Mazda CX9
Thanks. Good to know the seals are lasting long on the mazdas.
Fyi, the seal conditioner oil worked great, engines ran smooth and had no more seepage until vehicles were junked a few years later due to rusted frames.

If you could, how old are your mazda's with leaking seals??

Just asking beacuse I've had an older Toyota engine that didnt need valve cover gasket til it's 9th year. More recent Toyota and Ford engines both lasted for about 12-13 years before very minor seepage and only needed Valvoline high mileage oil to recondition the seals.

Maybe you should try some valvo high mileage or some blue devil or other seal additive.
2007 cx9 with 200k on it. I've never replace any gasket until now. Not even the water pump as yet.i may have the remove the cat,if the bolts aren't frozen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221228_233143_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221228_233143_Gallery.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 73
2007 cx9 with 200k on it. I've never replace any gasket until now. Not even the water pump as yet.i may have the remove the cat,if the bolts aren't frozen
Unless your keeping it for several more years(or waiting for it to be a classic), just do next oil change with Valvoline high mileage, or another seal conditioner additive. It should seal it up for a few more years.

Unless your keeping it for several more years(or waiting for it to be a classic), just do next oil change with Valvoline high mileage, or another seal conditioner additive. It should seal it up for a few more years.
I don't want to take that chance because it's getting on the exhaust manifold. I prefer to just fix it ,once I figure out the issue

so, you're saying that I could just use/switch over to Valvoline High Mileage and it may fix the issue on it's own? or saying to do that PLUS the rear main sealer?
Depends on how bad your leak is. Mine was seeping with occasional drips. The Valvoline high mileage is all that was needed and fixed it within several weeks. 2nd oil change completely stopped it.

OK... so I've done a full oil change... using Valvoline High Mileage, PLUS put in the Bar's Leak Rear Main Sealant, PLUS some stuff for ORings... now to drive around and see if it improves... fingers crossed.
Don't forget to degrease the engine.
You may still burn the oil already
on the engine and tranny case.

I degreased the engine after about 100-150 miles or so. It still leaked but slowly sealed up. Ran for several more weeks, another oil change and another degrease and it was ok/completely sealed.

That was using just Valvoline high mileage oil.

Yours may seal up a lot sooner with everything you threw in.

Please let us know how many miles or weeks it took to seal.

Back