2007 CX-9 Clank noise when shifting into reverse/drive when cold

swedishfella

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 GT
So I have a 2007 CX-9 that I purchased just over 2 years ago at 118,000 miles as a beautiful, clean one owner vehicle that still looked and felt brand new with all service performed at the dealer. It now has 149,500 miles on it and we have maintained it very well with keeping it serviced at the dealer every time. About 6-9 months ago we started noticing a noise when shifting to and from drive & reverse when the vehicle is cold. Its a pretty significant clank noise like metal on metal and it seems to be coming from directly under the gear shifter. It can easily be heard from inside and outside of the vehicle. It happens almost every time the car is cold, and occasionally when its warm. Ive asked the dealer to check it out every time they do an oil change, including when it had the control arms/ball joints recall done. Every time they check it they cant find anything at all wrong. One of the problems is that every time its at the dealer its always warm from driving it there so they cant even hear the noise. Just today I was at the dealer for an oil change and the service rep. told me that these are known for transfer case issues.. Any ideas what might be going on with this noise and is there a TSB related to this issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

First, just want to make sure, you have an AWD right? only AWD have the transfer case issue. May want to check our how to section and remove the transfer case plug to see if there's sludge.

Second, I've notice the harsh gear engagement also but usually when I'm on a steep grade or incline. Also happens when I'm parallel parking when I shift between drive and reverse very quickly like the gears don't have enough time to catch up. So now I pause five full seconds before I shift, seems to help.

Finally, I'm assuming you do regular maintenance changes for transmission fluid?

Last edited:
First, just want to make sure, you have an AWD right? only AWD have the transfer case issue. May want to check our how to section and remove the transfer case plug to see if there's sludge.

Second, I've notice the harsh gear engagement also but usually when I'm on a steep grade or incline. Also happens when I'm parallel parking when I shift between drive and reverse very quickly like the gears don't have enough time to catch up. So now I pause five full seconds before I shift, seems to help.

Finally, I'm assuming you do regular maintenance changes for transmission fluid?

Yes its AWD. Ill look into the transfer case plug. My car makes the noise whether im on an incline or not, but mostly just when the car is cold. This is why the dealer cant ever hear it cause its always warm when I bring it in. The car has had meticulous maintenance including at least 2 tranny fluid changes that I know of, both at the dealership and the most recent time was just this summer.

Im bringing the car into the dealer tomorrow to diagnose a heavy antifreeze leak coming from the engine block so Im gonna see if they can dig into this a little more at the same time. Im starting to get real nervous about this car. Its got 149,500 miles and even though its been meticulously maintained im afraid Im looking at major expenses with water pump & transfer case issues.. I may just sell or trade this thing in after all this is resolved..

Back