2006 Mazda3 HID Headlamp Replacement

:
3x Mazdas
My '06 Mazda3 GTS sedan needs new headlamps - they work, they just look awful. I've polished them several times but it's getting to where they only stay looking good for a very short time. It has the factory HID headlamps. I can find all kinds of replacement halogen headlamp housings that are relatively inexpensive. I can't find replacement HID housings unless I want to spend a small fortune. Can't I simply move the electronic portion to a new housing? Or are they permanently attached? I've tried to search this forum but the search function isn't very helpful. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited:
You could try swapping the outer lenses with ones from a pair of ebay headlights... In theory, should work...

You could try swapping the outer lenses with ones from a pair of ebay headlights... In theory, should work...

I agree. The only problem I see is that I SUCK at gluing.(argh) I wonder how difficult it is to remove the lenses (from mine and a new set) and then re-glue them? I've had my car since new and wouldn't mind making it last another several years until I retire - it's my daily driver to work car.

Throw the housings in the over for 10 minutes at 200F, and they will pretty much peel apart. To get them back together, gently place the lenses onto the back housing, back in the over for 10 minutes at 200F, pull them out and press them back together until the clips seat. Done.

It sounds more difficult than it really is. Just don't let the wife see you with the headlights in the oven :D

Throw the housings in the over for 10 minutes at 200F, and they will pretty much peel apart. To get them back together, gently place the lenses onto the back housing, back in the over for 10 minutes at 200F, pull them out and press them back together until the clips seat. Done.

It sounds more difficult than it really is. Just don't let the wife see you with the headlights in the oven :D

I'll investigate this! Thanks!

Back