2006 M5 stalling out after jump start

batmick

:
2006 Mazda5 Sport
Over the weekend I had left the lights on (the chime is broken) and the battery was dead when we returned. No big deal, we thought. Somebody had jumper cables and gave us a start and everything was fine.
Only since then, the car occasionally stuttered a little and this morning, while my wife was driving to work, it stalled completely. She said all the dash lights came on and the engine stalled. Then it would not start anymore. She called AAA and when the guy arrived he checked the battery and it was good. And when he sat in the car it started up?!? She still took it to the shop and now we're waiting for the diagnosis. Has anybody experienced this before? Any ideas?

My guess is that some fuse blew during the jump and/or the computer got confused. Any input is appreciated.

Nope. Every time your battery goes dead or you disconnect your battery. You must do an idle learn procedure. Google it I'm sure you'll find. I found out the same way but I remembered because my previous Honda need it to do it as well. If I'm not mistaken you turn the ignition to ON but don't start the car and wait for 1 minute. Then start the vehicle and idle for 5 mins. Make sure no lights and accessories are on the entire time.

Nope. Every time your battery goes dead or you disconnect your battery. You must do an idle learn procedure. Google it I'm sure you'll find. I found out the same way but I remembered because my previous Honda need it to do it as well. If I'm not mistaken you turn the ignition to ON but don't start the car and wait for 1 minute. Then start the vehicle and idle for 5 mins. Make sure no lights and accessories are on the entire time.

Thanks for the quick reply! Guess that's what the shop will do now and charge us for it. But I'll remember it for the future.

Your vehicle should relearn its idle on its own after driving it for a short period of time. Shouldn't need to leave the key in the "ON" position before cranking. Just start it up and drive. It sounds like you have an issue with the ECU, maybe when it was jumped the cables touched together or the person who jumped it didn't connect pos to pos and neg to neg and fried the ECU.

Last edited:
Your vehicle should relearn its idle on its own after driving it for a short period of time. Shouldn't need to leave the key in the "ON" position before cranking. Just start it up and drive. It sounds like you have an issue with the ECU, maybe when it was jumped the cables touched together or the person who jumped it didn't connect pos to pos and neg to neg and fried the ECU.

Wrong - many DBW vehicles require this.

Wrong - many DBW vehicles require this.

Precisely! Thank you. Mine didn't learn to idle normally on its own after 20 miles of driving within 3 days. I did the idle learn procedure and instantly it was back to normal.

For the record, I disconnected my battery over night a few weeks ago and did not have to perform any special procedure for it to idle or run properly. Maybe this only applies to a dead battery for whatever reason.

update

OK, sorry for the late post but here's how it played out:

The shop could not find anything wrong with the engine, fuses or battery. They kept the car overnight, fully charged and tested the battery and did an idle relearn.

Since then the car runs like it used to. So in our case it definitely needed some sort of reset procedure after the battery went dead and we got a jump start. Just driving home for 40 minutes did NOT do the trick.

Back