Weird no-start after stall (DSC light?) 2012 Mazda5 6MT

:
BMW M3 / Mazda5
Family member had a weird no-start issue on our 2012 Mz5 6MT. I was not in the car at the time so I can't say what happened, but I thought I'd post what little I know in case anyone has feedback.

She stalled trying to get rolling on a steep uphill. When she went to restart the car, it wouldn't even crank. Not sure I understand correctly but I believe I heard the DSC light stayed on between start attempts. She tried restarting several times, sometimes taking the key out fully before retrying. Eventually, after many attempts, it fired up and seems to have been fine since then.

I realize this is horribly incomplete info. Anyone have any ideas about what this might mean and/or what to check? We're coming up on 165k miles and really don't want this car to surprise us with no-starts, so I'm open to thoughts on hair-trigger preventive maintenance as well.

Family member had a weird no-start issue on our 2012 Mz5 6MT. I was not in the car at the time so I can't say what happened, but I thought I'd post what little I know in case anyone has feedback.

She stalled trying to get rolling on a steep uphill. When she went to restart the car, it wouldn't even crank. Not sure I understand correctly but I believe I heard the DSC light stayed on between start attempts. She tried restarting several times, sometimes taking the key out fully before retrying. Eventually, after many attempts, it fired up and seems to have been fine since then.

I realize this is horribly incomplete info. Anyone have any ideas about what this might mean and/or what to check? We're coming up on 165k miles and really don't want this car to surprise us with no-starts, so I'm open to thoughts on hair-trigger preventive maintenance as well.
During the “many attempts”, did the starter crank at all?? If it just randomly started, then I think you may have experienced an electrical gremlin.

DSC controls TB and ABS, neither should impede starting in normal case. TB should never be 100% closed, unless TB is completely gummed up AND there’s an issue with the TB servo not allowing butterfly plate to open. Even without air, the starter should still crank.

FWIW, I had a “one time” no crank experience with the car. No CEL or fault lights and new 34 battery made no difference. Was about to replace the starter but wanted to try and whack starter in case it was stuck -it was. After 2-3 good whacks against the starter the car started fine, and all has been good. I was told that a starter getting stuck is usually an indicator it is beginning to fail but it’s been over 4.5 yrs for me. I'm still on original starter and have not experienced another no start event. The 34 battery's 800CCA jolt helps.

BTW, it’s a manual and the car was on a hill, you could’ve just bump-start/push-start it! Forward works best, and reverse works too but may experience a jolt (I’ve never tried reverse).

I have a near* new (only test installed to start up car and rule out my rough idle issue, it’s not TB) Cardone reman throttle body if you are interested in trying it. Works just like OEM (reman uses OEM servo).

During the “many attempts”, did the starter crank at all?? If it just randomly started, then I think you may have experienced an electrical gremlin.

DSC controls TB and ABS, neither should impede starting in normal case. TB should never be 100% closed, unless TB is completely gummed up AND there’s an issue with the TB servo not allowing butterfly plate to open. Even without air, the starter should still crank.

FWIW, I had a “one time” no crank experience with the car. No CEL or fault lights and new 34 battery made no difference. Was about to replace the starter but wanted to try and whack starter in case it was stuck -it was. After 2-3 good whacks against the starter the car started fine, and all has been good. I was told that a starter getting stuck is usually an indicator it is beginning to fail but it’s been over 4.5 yrs for me. I'm still on original starter and have not experienced another no start event. The 34 battery's 800CCA jolt helps.

BTW, it’s a manual and the car was on a hill, you could’ve just bump-start/push-start it! Forward works best, and reverse works too but may experience a jolt (I’ve never tried reverse).

I have a near* new (only test installed to start up car and rule out my rough idle issue, it’s not TB) Cardone reman throttle body if you are interested in trying it. Works just like OEM (reman uses OEM servo).
Thanks for the response. No crank during the no-starts, apparently. Then at some point it cranked and fired up normally.

Yesterday, though, I did get a weird grinding noise during startup cranking. So maybe it is an aging starter...

Back