Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
It was around $2k when purchased with the car. It is a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty with no deductible. It was the first time I’ve ever bought an extended warranty, but I was worried specifically about the engine being a new design. The warranty has also covered some other more minor issues.

I have a 2017 with 50k miles on it. So now I need to make a decision: Do I spend $2k on a extended warranty? Or do I take a chance that if the engine cracks hope that Mazda will replace the engine, even if out of warranty?

I've seen some folks say Mazda replaced the engine when it was out of warranty, but not sure if that's the case or not for everyone.

However, Mazda should do the right thing and say that they will replace the engine with this coolant leak issue at any time.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 with 50k miles on it. So now I need to make a decision: Do I spend $2k on a extended warranty? Or do I take a chance that if the engine cracks hope that Mazda will replace the engine, even if out of warranty?

I've seen some folks say Mazda replaced the engine when it was out of warranty, but not sure if that's the case or not for everyone.

However, Mazda should do the right thing and say that they will replace the engine with this coolant leak issue at any time.
I have an extended warranty and they wouldnt cover the coolant leak issue on my 2018 cx9 gt at 68,000 miles, so much for thinking an extended warranty was a good idea. Mazda pulled through and covered it as they should...definite factory defect. New engine runs great. keeping it... currently have 72,000 miles.

I have an extended warranty and they wouldnt cover the coolant leak issue on my 2018 cx9 gt at 68,000 miles, so much for thinking an extended warranty was a good idea. Mazda pulled through and covered it as they should...definite factory defect. New engine runs great. keeping it... currently have 72,000 miles.
This is very hopeful to hear. How difficult was it for you to get Mazda to cover it out of warranty?

It was no problem...they went through extended warranty first which was denied, then dealership went back to Mazda for a goodwill...i have bought 4 mazdas new since 2010 and that was noted in goodwill request...do not know if it was a deciding factor or not. I would think Mazda was going to fix it anyway as problem was a definite mazda defect. The real pain was the 3 months 1/2 months it took to get my cx9 back! Took them 3 months to get the new engine. They did give me a 2021 cx5 loaner, but the cx5 is no cx9!! They did an exceptional job on the engine replacement and even made a few adjustments to the rest of the car that i noticed. Happy.

My local dealership back lot.

Tags on them indicate 42k to 62k miles

Attachments

• 20211002_153257.jpg
    20211002_153257.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
My local dealership back lot.

Tags on them indicate 42k to 62k miles

Look on the bright side. There are only about 550 dealers in the US. If each one has a pile of 5 bad engines in the back, that's 2750 blown engines. That's a failure rate of only 2%...

Look on the bright side. There are only about 550 dealers in the US. If each one has a pile of 5 bad engines in the back, that's 2750 blown engines. That's a failure rate of only 2%...
But how many engines were in that pile yesterday, and how many will be there tomorrow?

But how many engines were in that pile yesterday, and how many will be there tomorrow?

Yes, I was being somewhat sarcastic in my previous post. Mazda has sold maybe 200k of these engines in the US, and only a fraction of those have accumulated mileage above the 40k+ mile level. To see a stack of failed engines isn't a good sign. I'd expect this to keep happening, the only question is if the root cause is a design or manufacturing flaw that is latent in all these engines or just some of them.

...they went through extended warranty first which was denied ...
I've read VERY few good reports about extended automobile warranties, and lots of accounts of coverage denials based on a variety of 'reasons'. Can you share the details of whatever excuse they used in your case?

Yes, I was being somewhat sarcastic in my previous post. ...
I actually did think that was most likely the case, and my post was intended to head off one of the fanboys carrying forward the 'fact' of a wonderfully low 2% engine failure rate. It's always amazing to me how easily stuff like that can happen.
Attach files

I've read all replies in this thread and I'm wondering if ALL of these 2.5 turbo engines suffer some grade of coolant leak, just some being worse than others. How many "regular" folks send their oil off for analysis or really check their fluids regularly to notice the coolant level dropping? only a minute number would even know to do it much less give a damn about the results. I wonder what the percentage of cx9 owners that do get oil sample analysis get the dreaded coolant leak news that way? It would be interesting to have those numbers maybe broken down by mileage on vehicle.

I'm a brand new 2021.5 owner and this is my first Mazda so what I'm reading here is giving me a bit of anxiety as to what may lie ahead. Time will tell and I'll certainly be watching it as time goes on

Last edited:
I checked my coolant today and it indeed dropped down about a centimeter from the last time. This is with the engine sitting overnight. At what point is it a warranty issue? Its not visibly leaking so I’m guessing they wont do anything except topping off the coolant.

I checked my coolant today and it indeed dropped down about a centimeter from the last time. This is with the engine sitting overnight. At what point is it a warranty issue? Its not visibly leaking so I’m guessing they wont do anything except topping off the coolant.

When you say it's not visibly leaking, do you mean it's not dripping on the ground, or did you actually get under and don't see anything on the engine?

They will take action if there's something that warrants it. I would assume if you are experiencing some type of reproducible performance issue, or if they can see something happening then they'll do something. In my case, I smelled coolant, so I decided to pull the skid plate and found dried up coolant on the transfer case, so I took it in and they confirmed the cracked block.

You pretty much summed it up. I dont see any pooling on the ground. Im not sure if i smell anything either. I’ll be doing another oil change in a week and will check the skid plate.

I didn't see any significant coolant loss until it started leaking out of the back of the engine. The low coolant light never came on and the car never indicated an overheat condition. The diagnosis is officially a warped head. I have been waiting about 3 months for the repair now and the dealer has no updated date on when they might receive the motor. They reported that they have another CX9 at their dealership waiting behind mine for an engine now, too.

The low coolant light never came on and the car never indicated an overheat condition.
Low coolant light? I never knew such a light existed. I always just looked in the radiator and overflow reservoir, and of course the temp gauge.

I have been waiting about 3 months for the repair now and the dealer has no updated date on when they might receive the motor. They reported that they have another CX9 at their dealership waiting behind mine for an engine now, too.
This is not reassuring for me. I don't have months to wait (I'm relocating for work soon), and so if I have to relocate before my car is ready, I'm not sure how that would work...

I've read VERY few good reports about extended automobile warranties, and lots of accounts of coverage denials based on a variety of 'reasons'. Can you share the details of whatever excuse they used in your case?
issue not caused by internal rotating part failure....
i will never buy an extended warranty again.
Meanwhile thank you Mazda, CX9 is runing great.

Back