2.5 vs 2.0 Stock Intake box

I suspect that the air intake system on the Mazda and most vehicles is desigened ~6x oversized (filter box vs intake SQ INs), that it make not any difference. Ed

Anyone who remembers 70s and 80s smog in la may not agree with the carb stuff but I can breath a whole lot easier.

I think the CX-5 does have one. It is the only charcoal filter I can find in the intake system, but not sure if its it. If it is it, its in a different location and doesn't really restrict airflow at all, but at the same time, I don't see it being effective at filtering out fumes. Maybe this is a way of Mazda saying F#$% you california emissions.

Kqy3m5V.jpg

Yep... mine has that on filter intake too...

WA state is basically the same as CA for emissions now.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/cleancar.html

Types of vehicles that must meet Clean Car standards
All new passenger cars, SUVs, vans, and pickup trucks with a model year of 2009 or newer must be certified to California emission standards. New vehicles that don’t meet California emission standards cannot be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use in Washington.

How did you get a Mazda6 with California PZEV emission in Arizona? Did you get it in San Diego? :)

With CA PZEV emmission on CX-5, it's supposed to be having the same performance and fuel efficiency as non-CA emission CX-5 according to specs. But I agree that with additional (and unnecessary) filtering for intake, it'd have more restriction for engine breathing.

I know for a fact my dealership in Arizona had both PZEV and non-PZEV models on their lot. Dealers trade stock among themselves which could include nearby states. That said I don't have that extra filter circled in yellow that Kedis says he has. Mine was in the airbox-literally sits on top of the drop-in panel filter.

Last edited:
Back