2.5 vs 2.0 Stock Intake box

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
I noticed that on our 2.5L Mazda6 there's a thick filter glued unto the stock Intake box. It's actually about 5 layers and the middle layer has some sort of foam/charcoal chunks. Weird. Our 2.0L engine does not contain this thick filter element. Did you guys with 2.5L CX-5s notice that filter?

I ended up removing mine as it seemed pretty restrictive. My initial acceleration seemed a bit smoother although it may be a placebo affect. Still it was a pretty restrictive 5 tiered filter glued to the box. Another thing I noticed was a ink stamping that said MRZ which from my understanding was Mazda's previous gen engine.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• intake0.jpg
    intake0.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 907
  • intake1.jpg
    intake1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:
A lot of the new cars have these as a secondary charcoal filter to filter out fumes. Some people remove them claiming it improves horsepower.

A lot of the new cars have these as a secondary charcoal filter to filter out fumes. Some people remove them claiming it improves horsepower.

Did research on BMW, WRX, and Prius forums to confirm its a charcoal filter for engine fumes. Essentially this is a delete mod. Considering the 2.0L doesn't have one I've always wondering why it felt a bit more responsive. If removing it from the 2.5 to see any gains it would be merely accessing HP that was already there.

See post #1 of this link. Guy did dyno runs before/after charcoal delete mod. Noticeable HP gains for his truck. The talk in the BMW forums are that dyno's for their engines confirm HP (access) after mod delete but could not find images as proof.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801214

+1. Pre filters are good. I'd never take it out.

Its a post filter that even sand would go through. Essentially not a physical filter. That's what the drop in filter is for.

So Mazda engineers deemed this beneficial for whatever reason(s) and you ripped it out. Now that's weird!

Its designed to filter out fumes at the expense of being more restrictive. I have little concern with fumes so I'll be glad to have less restriction. Another way to put it is I would never add this restrictive filter to our cx-5 2.0 which doesn't even have one. I mean these skyactiv engines and even older Mazda engines had air coming from the outside via stock cold air system. Also, I think its more of a California emissions regulation thing. Not sure if other countries even have these restrictive filters. If so than its not an original Mazda design intended for the engine but merely an add-on for models sold in the US (California).

Last edited:
Did research on BMW, WRX, and Prius forums to confirm its a charcoal filter for engine fumes. Essentially this is a delete mod. Considering the 2.0L doesn't have one I've always wondering why it felt a bit more responsive. If removing it from the 2.5 to see any gains it would be merely accessing HP that was already there.

See post #1 of this link. Guy did dyno runs before/after charcoal delete mod. Noticeable HP gains for his truck. The talk in the BMW forums are that dyno's for their engines confirm HP (access) after mod delete but could not find images as proof.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801214

Its a post filter that even sand would go through. Essentially not a physical filter. That's what the drop in filter is for.

Its designed to filter out fumes at the expense of being more restrictive. I have little concern with fumes so I'll be glad to have less restriction. Another way to put it is I would never add this restrictive filter to our cx-5 2.0 which doesn't even have one. I mean these skyactiv engines and even older Mazda engines had air coming from the outside via stock cold air system. Also, I think its more of a California emissions regulation thing. Not sure if other countries even have these restrictive filters. If so than its not an original Mazda design intended for the engine but merely an add-on for models sold in the US (California).

I think the CX-5 does have one. It is the only charcoal filter I can find in the intake system, but not sure if its it. If it is it, its in a different location and doesn't really restrict airflow at all, but at the same time, I don't see it being effective at filtering out fumes. Maybe this is a way of Mazda saying F#$% you california emissions.

Kqy3m5V.jpg

I think the CX-5 does have one. It is the only charcoal filter I can find in the intake system, but not sure if its it. If it is it, its in a different location and doesn't really restrict airflow at all, but at the same time, I don't see it being effective at filtering out fumes. Maybe this is a way of Mazda saying F#$% you california emissions.

Kqy3m5V.jpg

PZEV California emissions workaround lol!!!

Ohh very sneaky location what ever that is. I'm for certain our CX-5 doesn't have that that UNLESS its hidden behind a plastic door/housing I overlooked.

To think of it if it is a charcoal filter it would seem like a poor design to collect hot air from the engine bay.

To think of it if it is a charcoal filter it would seem like a poor design to collect hot air from the engine bay.
That's the thing, these filters were designed to reduce emissions while the the car is parked and engine is shut off. Kind of like the charcoal canisters for the fuel tanks. I guess as the fumes rise it will hit that filter before going into the engine bay... But then the opening to ambient air is just a couple of inches away.

I think a question to Mazda would provide a correct answer. It may be there to protect the regular air filter by limiting any backflow that is caused by the intake and exhaust valve overlap open time. Ed

This is a PZEV charcoal filter. It's on all vehicles with CA and PZEV type emissions. My car does not have it because I purchased in AL where they don't endorse CA emissions or PZEV.

California's guidelines for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicles= PZEV.

Non PZEV cars don't have this filter while PZEV cars do. Found more vids of the filter delete. You gain a sense of how thick/restrictive it is. My engine runs a whole lot smoother now.

Last edited:
California's guidelines for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicles= PZEV.

Non PZEV cars don't have this filter while PZEV cars do. Found more vids of the filter delete. You gain a sense of how thick/restrictive it is.
How did you get a Mazda6 with California PZEV emission in Arizona? Did you get it in San Diego? :)

With CA PZEV emmission on CX-5, it's supposed to be having the same performance and fuel efficiency as non-CA emission CX-5 according to specs. But I agree that with additional (and unnecessary) filtering for intake, it'd have more restriction for engine breathing.

Back