13b RX7 reliable for autocross?

FallenPB13

:
2013 Focus ST
Hello,

I am trying to pick a fun car that I can do autocross in and cruise around in. This won't be my daily driver just a project.

I was wondering how reliable the engine and car is?

Thank you!

Can you be more specific? What generation RX7 and what engine? They are just as reliable as anything else if properly cared for. The problem is they're all used and you generally won't have any idea how well they've been taken care of. That being said the turbo varieties generally have more reliability issues but the better low-end torque is helpful in autox. Are you trying to be competitive? What class? Chances are an RX7 won't be competitive unless you're in one of the prepared classes with a lot of work done.

I don't usually race for points just for fun with some local groups. I was thinking gen 2 with the 13b engine N/A

I don't usually race for points just for fun with some local groups. I was thinking gen 2 with the 13b engine N/A

They're definitely the most reliable but can still have their fair share of issues if not properly maintained. The S5's make more power but are heavier. They handle enough well for MacPherson front/multi-link rear cars but won't really be competitive in the stock or near-stock classes. The low torque and open differentials in most cars are going to be the biggest handicaps on short, tight courses. I think the FC is a bit of a "big" car for autox in that the shorter tracks favor cars with short wheel bases and high rotation rates.

like a 'speed protege
Since this is a Mazda forum: Miata. Is. Always. The. Answer.

Alternatively, Mini's are VERY competitive; short wheelbase, lightweight, and good power. Want something cheap? Look into old CRX's and Civic hatchbacks. They won't be competitive in stock classes due to power but parts are plentiful and cheap so they make great tuning and prepared cars.

MSPs are very competitive at autocross and they are leaps and bounds more practical and comfortable than a Miata if you actually use the vehicle and not solely race it.

My main car is my Focus so I'm not to worried on practical. I also would prefer not to have 2 modded FWD cars cause then there won't be much of a change I think going from on to the other. This car will be solely a car to mess around might take it to work sometimes to keep the mileage down on my focus.

Magnum is right, stock or near stock won't be competitive with RX7's but, it doesn't mean it's not fun. If you want stock to be competitive and super reliable get a miata. If you want something that needs to be meticulously maintained and don't care about winning get an RX7. It's your preference.

My 2 cents. I have been driving an RX-7 at autox and track events for 15-20 years. Leave the motor stock add a header and cai make sure you keep the oil an water temps in check. lighten the car and do a suspension upgrade. Drive it and have fun. Any car can be reliable if you take care of it. I'm amazed by how many people say that rotaries are unreliable if you port the crap out of them and/or add lots of boost than they will break. But if you do that to any motor it will break. If you want a quick car that's easy to work on and get parts for than just do the same thing everybody else is by a Miata. I have one its a great car if you can fit in them.

I did tried autocross on my big turbo bridgeported fc with a rew swap,full suspension and it sucked!Miatas and proteges were way faster than me and i spun the thing around like five times!To big of a car and the way my boost hits is like getting hit by a train from behind so trying to have some control is almost impossible.I am a drag racing so maybe that is why i couldnt get it to work,Who knows.I seen NA FBs and FCs doing good.

I autocross an '84 FB with a streetported 12A. The car has been reliable the entire time I've owned it but I don't completely abuse it. I run premix in it and check the oil, coolant, plugs and ignition regularly. I don't find RX7s to be overly unreliable, I just think a lot of people bought them through the years and had no idea what they were or how they worked. Kind of Toyota treated them, thinking it was a car they could just drive and never open the hood or do maintenance. For those owners any RX car was not reliable. That being said my FB is competitive but that is with Hoosier slicks, a fair amount of engine mods, and just about every suspension part Racing Beat offers. RX7s are a lot of fun. As long as you aren't afraid of basic maintenance or opening your hood I would recommend one. Especially one well maintained. I do love miatas too and that is always a solid choice, but if you want to be unique or a little different then RX7 is a fun choice.

Back