12v accessory addition

scottychop

:
2016 CX-5 Touring

Wondering if anyone has done a 12V accessory addition to the dash area. Does the factory harness have a spot for it lurking back there? Im fine tapping into the system if need be, just didn't want to make more work for myself. Any recommendations on which brand of receptacle?

Yeah, the funny part is the 2016 CX-5 brochure talks about a 12V outlet in the dash along with one @ center console. There's no outlet in the dash.

I know there in one in the center console cubby and the trunk. none in the dash but it does have the USB outlets which work for me.

Sadly, none in the center console for me.

It will make it easier for people to answer your question in a helpful manner if you add the relevant details in your profile. Simply saying you have a "CX-5" doesn't tell us much. Adding the model year and trim level will make it easier for other owners to help you.

Any recommendations on which brand of receptacle?

I find many automotive accessories to be appalling in terms of quality so generally I buy marine grade accessories. I live in a small town with very active yachting/sailing/shipping/boatbuilding industries so I can buy off the shelf (the winning America's Cup yacht was built here under top-secret security measures).

I have Marinco brand outlets in my motorcycles and they have proven to be trouble-free:

343576.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco--premium-12v-receptacle-and-plug--P009_275_007_002

I notice your photo shows a different style outlet. What are you planning on plugging into it? This is basically a cigarette lighter style outlet.

I find many automotive accessories to be appalling in terms of quality so generally I buy marine grade accessories. I live in a small town with very active yachting/sailing/shipping/boatbuilding industries so I can buy off the shelf (the winning America's Cup yacht was built here under top-secret security measures).

I have Marinco brand outlets in my motorcycles and they have proven to be trouble-free:

343576.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco--premium-12v-receptacle-and-plug--P009_275_007_002

I notice your photo shows a different style outlet. What are you planning on plugging into it? This is basically a cigarette lighter style outlet.

Thanks!! I always wondered if marine grade accessory products are better. I read that Toyota Lexus exclusively uses them only where available.

Thanks!! I always wondered if marine grade accessory products are better. I read that Toyota Lexus exclusively uses them only where available.

In general, marine grade products are higher quality, sometimes in very meaningful ways. Here's one example:

Automotive wire is stranded copper. With marine grade wire, every copper strand is tin plated. In a wet area, copper wire corrodes and resistance increases. The marine grade wire is quite resistant to this.

Of course there are cheap quality marine components but, in general, they are better. And you will pay more but my time is valuable too. I only want to do it once.

Thanks. I updated my profile.

I've used marine grade stuff in previous vehicles, but that was awhile ago. I was just curious about what was being used now. I just got a cigarette style plug-in heated seat cushion that will be lovely for the PNW.

Thanks. I updated my profile.

Cool. I wish everyone would do this. It only takes a minute and can be very helpful. I did notice you already had your location filled out which is also very helpful for many questions that might crop up.

I've used marine grade stuff in previous vehicles, but that was awhile ago. I was just curious about what was being used now. I just got a cigarette style plug-in heated seat cushion that will be lovely for the PNW.

My 2013 came with a 12v outlet under the climate controls and only a USB port in the center console. Mazda adjusted the locations (probably due to user feedback) but of course you can't suit all of the owners with any one configuration.

Hopefully you will get some good feedback on a good place to tap into. I know I would demand ignition switched power for such a high draw accessory. If you can't identify a suitably fused and switched tap point, you could always use a micro-relay and direct wire the current carrying side to an unused fuse spot and the relay side to any accessory that is only powered when the engine is running.

Your car should have an outlet in the bottom front center console box but it is on all the time. Take a look in the "how to" section for installing a V1 radar detector and installing a dash cam for what others have done...

Last edited:
I have installed rear seat warmers and plugged them into the truck 12V socket. The warmers have in-built fuse so heavy draw is contained. That socket is a switched socket unlike the center console which is always on.

Ok, now I'm embarrassed. I've only had the car 3 days. I had stuffed the quick manual in the center console and only did a cursory look inside. Guess what! I have a 12v outlet too. Totally missed it. This car is the first brand new car I've had for 8 years and my daily driver for the last three was from 1984. I'm dealing with button overload! (boom08)

Ok, now I'm embarrassed. I've only had the car 3 days. I had stuffed the quick manual in the center console and only did a cursory look inside. Guess what! I have a 12v outlet too. Totally missed it. This car is the first brand new car I've had for 8 years and my daily driver for the last three was from 1984. I'm dealing with button overload! (boom08)

Excellent! But apparently it is not an ignition switched outlet. The conversion is really easy with an inexpensive micro-relay, a wire tap and a bit of wire.

I am also interested in adding a 12v outlet to the dash area. Anyone try this yet?
Anyone know where to find a service manual for the 2016 CX-5? I am also trying to install a footwell LED kit and a couple 110v outlets

I am also interested in adding a 12v outlet to the dash area. Anyone try this yet?
Anyone know where to find a service manual for the 2016 CX-5? I am also trying to install a footwell LED kit and a couple 110v outlets
Post photos of your mods in the Do It Yourself section. The members will appreciate it.

Post photos of your mods in the Do It Yourself section. The members will appreciate it.

I fully plan on posting pictures and making a how to. I am not the most knowledgeable on electrical or car mods, so I too am looking for at least some guidance in the right direction :)

I have installed rear seat warmers and plugged them into the truck 12V socket. The warmers have in-built fuse so heavy draw is contained. That socket is a switched socket unlike the center console which is always on.

just wanted to confirm, the 12V socket in the cargo area is "switched" correct,

I know the center console is ALWAYS ON but i thought the cargo area socket was also ALWAYS ON, which is it ? thanks in advance.

<BUMP>
Realize this is old post. Did you end up adding extra outlets and installing footwell lights?

Back