100K MP5 Club

148K here, still running strong, but I do have a small laundry list of things to fix:

- All 3 motor mounts trashed. I replaced both upper ones today, I still need to do the lower one as well. Even with 2 new ones, it now feels butter smooth at idle.
- Clunking in the front and rear suspension - I need to overhaul all of the suspension. Endlinks, bushings, lower control arms, struts and strut mounts.
- Timing belt is overdue, I need to tackle that soon.
- Valve cover is leaking oil, I'll replace that soon when I do the timing belt.

Rolled over 167,000 yesterday. Last 23,000 have seen new brakes, both front bearings (3x), alternator and belts, tires (snow and summer), struts, coils, plugs, motor and strut mounts, among other smaller things. Let's hope it's not this needy for another 20k (thanks to the POS PO)

Bought the 2003 with 42k just turned over 300k oil change every 5k, done the timing belt twice, plug wires once... its been a great car except for the front wheel bearings.. replaced 3 of them .. right twice and left once

Bought the 2003 with 42k just turned over 300k oil change every 5k, done the timing belt twice, plug wires once... its been a great car except for the front wheel bearings.. replaced 3 of them .. right twice and left once
Wow, that's good. I'm at 205,000.
I change the oil about every 6,000. I've changed the transmission fluid once. Flushed the radiator three times. Changed the steering fluid once.
I've changed the timing belt twice, the EGR valve once, the plugs once, the coils/wires once, both catalytic converters, the front engine mount, accessory drive belts twice, brake calipers once, brake discs once, radiator and rad hoses once, valve cover gasket kit once.

I haven't had any major issues. I do hear a weird squeek when turning and accelerating. I think that's the CV. Not 100% positive. Haven't changed the wheel bearings or struts.

Recently swapped a jdm motor into mine at 116823 due to a badly blown head and burnt rings. She goes on the road today as an older car with a supposedly younger motor with supposedly about half the mileage on it. Can't wait to see what tricks up its sleeve it has for me.

Rolled over the big 100k a few weekends ago. Suprised I didn't have a heart attack when it happened...
I feel like the car is now "old" by some people's standards, even though to me, 100k is nothing in these cars seemingly!

Got an early 2002, about to hit 196,000 miles. Got it at 160,000 i change the oil every 5-6k and it takes a quart in-between (its not a Mazda if it doesn't burn some oil), changed plugs wires, ac/alt drive belts, went through tires once lol, changed trans fluid, rear calipers pads and rotors (about to do the front as well as timing belt at 200,000). Im thinking about getting Mazda6 brakes for the front, i have no abs and i LOVE it. This car is an absolute stud and runs like a boss... oh yeah except for the bad clink it makes under load. I was really worried at first but i think its the little variable intake vane, it really only does it at certain throttle positions while under load... but i might as well have a look in there when i do the timing belt

I've been wanting a P5 since 2011 and I finally found one locally that was from FL/TN and not rusted out. It has 160k miles and in very good condition for the miles. It was well cared for and it has a large stack of service records. I'm going to perform a quick resto on it and I plan on using it as my daily driver for the next 4 years to 200k miles. I'm hoping for a long, reliable, happy relationship.
(drinks)

Last edited:
I've been wanting a P5 since 2011 and I finally found one locally that was from FL/TN and not rusted out. It has 160k miles and in very good condition for the miles. It was well cared for and it has a large stack of service records. I'm going to perform a quick resto on it and I plan on using it as my daily driver for the next 4 years to 200k miles. I'm hoping for a long, reliable, happy relationship.
(drinks)

Congrats! How about some pics?

Will post some before and after pics... the before pics will be next week and the after pics will be around October 1st.

Just cracked 200k and still trucking along!

14039709151_9909c265dd_z_d.jpg

227k, problem free,

tranny fluid every 15k
oil ever 5k
power steering every 15k.
radiator fluid every 100k.
brake fluid every 60k
spark plugs every 30k

this is the time i wish for electric car battery to be cheaper and better, no more fluid and spark plug changes

Back