04 Mazda 3s tires-is it really this expensive?

misscity

I have an 04 3s. I bought it preowned in 2005 and never replaced the tires. They have less than 20% left and are in bad shape and need new tires ASAP. According to the dealership my present tires were about $1000 which may or may not be true. They quoted me $712 to replace them and get a much needed alignment them which I thought was too much. I checked Pep Boys and because I have an "unsual size" this size tire is hard to find. There they were estimateed $770. Sears estimated me at $950 without an aligment. All of this seems insane to me. Obviously I'll go to the dealer atleast I can semi trust them. But are tires for this car that expensive? They said the size is 2155017 if that sounds right.

I have been using the Tire Rack since 1984, and have yet to go wrong. I just replaced my 205/50-17's and got 4 highly rated Yokohama s.drive tires for $445 shipped to my door. There were cheaper tires available in that size too. Another $58 to mount and balance at Big O, and off I go for about $500. An alignment, which they did try to sell me, would have been an additional $59.

I am running Potenza G019 Grids 215/45 R17's and IIRC, they ran me about $700 mounted/balanced and aligned.

They were probably quoting you prices for the OEM tires. Those tires are overpriced junk (assuming they are still using the eagle rs-a). Almost anything you could buy would be a better value.

what's the difference in price of the MS3 tires vs. the stock 17s? is it a real big difference?

don't go through the dealership use tire rack get some nicely rated tires in your size for what you want... all seasons, summers/performance/milleage etc... whatever you are looking for they have it... i see no issue taking to the dealership to get them aligned and mounted and balanced though they price doesn't seem bad.

Back