0 to 62 in 9.4 seconds

I'm curious what the average German car's horsepower is considering you. An drive 200mph on the Autobahn? Does everyone there own 300hp vehicles?

Not even close. The most popular cars in Germany are the smaller VW's - Golf...Jetta...Polo...Passat, etc. The Ford Focus is popular there as well. (all of which comfortably drive the Autobahn system). Averaging out the horsepower ratings across the top 10 selling cars in Germany rounds to about 155 - 160 HP. Despite all the legend, the Autobahn is just a highway system (although, it's probably the most well maintained system on Earth)...you still have to deal with trucks, traffic, and idiot drivers just like anywhere else...lol. More often than not, reaching 220 MPH in your Zonda F wouldn't be possible.

I'm curious what the average German car's horsepower is considering you. An drive 200mph on the Autobahn? Does everyone there own 300hp vehicles?

Low average horsepower mainly because of the high price of fuel in Germany.

No, I have never exceeded 120mph in Europe (or 130 in US).

Yes, my weekend car has 306hp (but I don't live in Germany).

The CX-5 power is adequate.

Last edited:
Low average horsepower mainly because of the high price of fuel in Germany.

No, I have never exceeded 120mph in Europe (or 130 in US).

Yes, my weekend car has 306hp (but I don't live in Germany).

The CX-5 power is adequate.

Thanks, that's what I was getting at. 155hp is more than enough power for the everyday driver. Some critics make it sound like you are going to be squashed by an 18 wheeler cause you're too slow to get out of the way in a CX-5.

On the flip of side getting crushed by an 18 wheeler. How did those 18 wheelers get on the freeway in the first place without causing an accident. Most of them do 0-60 in what, about 30 seconds? Edmunds.com did a review and timed the CX-5(GT AWD auto) 0-60 in 9.7secs which is about the slowest I've seen of all the test drives/reviews I've seen of the CX-5. They also did a test of the CR-V and it was 9.4 secs. There was actually some comments from readers that the CX-5 would be dangerous if loaded up because it was too slow and underpowered. What a joke. I don't see many Prius's splattered all over the on-ramps cause their too slow and they are a lot slower than a CX-5.

My 2007 Mazda6 lbs to hp ration is 20.3. The torque ratio is 20.6. I have no problem with the power of this car. The CX-5 is almost the same...just a smidgeon less and my test drive of the CX-5 proved to me that it was just a tiny bit slower. So, bottom line....no problem.

My last Ford Explorer SUV had 300 horsepower (actually 292hp and 300pounds of torque), but it got 14-15mpg, instead of 26-27mpg. It was about 1.5 seconds faster to 60mph, wow. The real danger realistically for most US drivers that commute, it took about 20 feet longer to stop from 60mph since it weighed 4900 pounds. Don't miss it.

My V8 Tundra went 0-60 mph in 6.88 seconds as measured on the G-tech I have but it handled like a land barge and averaged 17.5 mpg. I have 1200 miles on the CX5 and don't miss the Tundra. I think the power of the CX5 is actually very good. It won't win a race against a vehicle with a larger engine but it keeps up with traffic with ease. I can even keep up with traffic keeping the revs under 2500 PRM because of the 6 speed auto. I've also noticed that even though it only has 150 lb. ft. of torque that it makes quite a bit of that down low in the rev range, which makes for a relaxing drive. The engine in overdrive at 70 mph tachs at about 2250 RPM, which makes freeway cruising nice and relaxing and it hardly ever has to down shift on hills. My Tundra would tach at 2200 RPM at the same speed with a V8 and the gas would go down the (toilet)

I agree as stated above and Im not trying to beat anyone in a drag race. I am however very impressed with the acceleration from speeds 30-60 (highway to highway ramp). With the 6m trans I reved up to 6500rpm at 80mph in 3rd gear. Coming out of 2nd gear at 30mph it weaved traffic with ease... and stopped well also. I feel pretty good considering I average 29 mpg instead of 15 in a Wrangler.

Press the gas pedal harder.

Just test drive it. For the automatic, I like the manual mode - you can go all the way to redline, and shifting as you wish. The sound is very nice at high rpm. Although, keep it reasonable during the breakin period.

Picking mine up today, but on my test drive I did the same highway entrance ramp once in full automatic and once in manual mode and noticed a big difference in acceleration especially since in manual mode you are able to hit the redline. Granted it's not great for gas mileage, which I thought the automatic transmission handles very well keeping the CX-5 around 2200 RPMs as long as it can to maximize fuel efficiency. I also liked how the automatic engine also downshifts like I would when driving a manual when deaccelerating. It also seems to react differently depending on how you press on the gas pedal- smoothly holds the gear longer a fast/firm press on the accelerator I noted a quick downshift to 5th or it could have even been 4th.

I think everyone would welcome a quicker acceleration up the hills and off the line with the same or better fuel efficiency, which may come in a future twin turbo diesel. Who wouldn't love to see a Mazdaspeed version of the CX-5 with a slightly stiffer and slightly lowered suspension, more power under the hood, sportier rims say in black, gun metal grey or matched paint, Brembo brakes w/choice of caliper cover color, memory seats, Alcantara leather, power lift-gate, heated steering wheel, paddle shifters, 1 button press for sport mode, with the same gas mileage? (raises hand, but I doubt it would happen) For for now this car best suits my needs out all those I have test driven for now and everyone should make that decision on their own criteria.

Can't wait to give a more long term review. :)

Last edited:
None of the CX-5's with any engine or tranny configuration are high performance vehicles. To me this comes as no surprise. But all configurations are recording class-leading fuel efficiency, very important to be competitive in compact SUV market.

In the US, recently the EPA confirmed with official mpg postings that the CX-5 beats new 2013 Escape and 2012 CRV in fuel economy for both fwd and awd configurations.

It feels like it needs just a little extra horsepower, but I'm happy with it. Just made a trip to Vegas and Back and averaged over 33mpg. That was with some decent uphill sections and the wind blowing against the vehicle. It wasn't fun during a few of those parts. At 65mph and the car in cruise, it would shift down into 4th sometimes to maintain speed. Other than that, got around good. Had we taken the CX-7 I'm sure we wouldn't have had that problem much, but we'd also get around 25mpg on the freeway. I'll take saving money to that extra ooomphh.

The turbo CX-7 is 8.5 seconds? the I is over 10? I think 9.4 will be more than enough.

I'm curious what the average German car's horsepower is considering you can drive 200mph on the Autobahn? Does everyone there own 300hp vehicles?
Many people around here are driving quite small cars with low hp, as the gas is expensive and a lot of streets, parking lots etc. are narrow. I would assume the average hp of the cars driven over here might be around +/- 110 hp. However, if you can afford it and want to you can still get into your Carrera, TT RS or M5 and hit the 180 mph or whatever you want to go for. ;)

It's no rocket ship, but it gets along just fine. We are spoiled these days...even slow cars are pretty quick. Many family sedans do 0-60 and 1/4 mile faster than muscle cars did in the 60s. I have a diesel BMW that gets 36MPG but runs 0-60 under 5 seconds and 1/4 mile in the 12's...now that's the perfect compromise.

The turbo CX-7 is 8.5 seconds? the I is over 10? I think 9.4 will be more than enough.

The Twin-Turbo Diesel CX-5 (the 175 bhp version), has been timed at 8.0 seconds. The same group timed the turbo CX-7 at about 8.2 seconds.
But they also timed the petrol CX-5 at about 9.4 seconds.

I wonder what the petrol would get if it had a twin-turbo and intercooler like the diesel?

* Timing was done by Wheels Magazine in Sydney on drag strip with dry conditions

Back